Moonlight Magic & Halcyon Surprises - oh my! (IN PROGRESS)

Peach026

Mouseketeer
Bright suns! I love reading trip reports, but am terrible and finishing my own. DETERMINED to make this one the one that is finally complete - especially since its one to remember!

WHEN: 8/23-30
WHERE: AKL (Savannah!) + Galatic Starcruiser + Boardwalk
WHO: Me, Hubs, Son (7), and Daughter (9)
WHY: My son's 8th birthday!!! A SURPRISE trip, he has no idea what's coming.

I haven't yet figured out exactly how we are telling DS we are going, but DD is already in on the secret. General outline:

TUES: 8:30am flight from BDL to MCO. Picking up the rental (alamo) and heading straight to AKL - really hoping our room is ready! We have EPCOT park passes, but it'll be the heat of the day. We have stayed at Kidani before but never in a savannah room and it's been a few years. 4:15 reservations at Via Napoli (my son's fav food is pizza) and we have MM tickets at Typhoon Lagoon which I haven't been to since I was a kid! Originally the plan was to try to get a LL for cosmic rewind - but now I'm just not sure since we have MM tickets, though it sounds like entry isn't until 6pm and the party starts at 8 based on the first event emails (assuming it all follows). If we aim for 8 it would give us enough time for a LL if we want... All depends how the times work out! Haven't done the guardians ride yet (its the only ride that will be a first).

WEDS: AK park pass in case the kids wake up early and want to go, but I might cancel. My kids STILL don't sleep in, especially on Disney trips, even when they are up late late late late! My son's fav ride is Everest so it would be nice to do a stop to ride a couple times during early morning entry. DD has never ridden because she's too scared.. depending on how Guardians goes I think she might be up for it... we'll see! I have build you own minifigure reservations at 10:30 @ Disney Springs Lego Store. We'll do that, walk around a bit and then head to the Halcyon for our cruise!

THURS: On the Starcruiser! Oga's in the morning, Captains table in the evening.. who knows where the adventure will take us!

FRI: Depart the Halcyon and IT'S MY SON'S 8th BIRTHDAY! HS Park reservations and dinner at Prime Time - I forgot to order a cake but the phone line said I could request when we get there. I might try to rebook it as we get closer (so far no other good times have popped up). Checking into a 1 bedroom at boardwalk which we've never stayed at. I'm really looking forward to checking out the area! I plan on getting G+ for the day since its his birthday (I hate paying for the upgrade since we go so often, its pricy for a family of four!) I won't rush the kids off the ship but gosh its so darn hot in August that ... I might take advantage if they DO happen to wake up early on Friday ha! Its his day - so really whatever he wants (within reason) we are up for :)

SAT: AK park pass and reservations at Trattoria al Forno for lunch since AK tends to be a half day park for us at this point.

SUN: MK park pass with lunch at Whispering Canyon. CANNOT WAIT for the shenanigans! We were there in March and my son had the time of this life

4597AAF0-02E9-4067-B726-ED804B54EF15.jpeg

MON: EPCOT park pass and then home, flight at 2ish.

We have annual passes so park hoping likely. We tend to spend early morning in one park, pool and/or nap in the middle of the day and then hit a park at closing. It has been a couple years since we've been in AUGUST though, and I don't ever recall being in the parks in the middle of the summer without a stroller so that will be a newer challenge.

Hope you've enjoyed reading the PRE-trip! I'm finalizing costumes for our voyage and still thinking about the timeline (because its fun!) Looking forward to reports on the MM to help me figure out how to navigate that one.

COUNTDOWN: 16 days!

Following Along!!!!

I am planning a summer trip for us next summer. So, any tips for staying cool will be great! And can't wait to hear how you like the Halicron!

WHERE: AKL (Savannah!) + Galatic Starcruiser + Boardwal
That sounds great!!!!

My kids STILL don't sleep in, especially on Disney trips, even when they are up late late late late!
Mine don't either and they are 14 and 12 now!

won't rush the kids off the ship but gosh its so darn hot in August that ... I might take advantage if they DO happen to wake up early on Friday ha! Its his day - so really whatever he wants (within reason) we are up for :)
Do they not have anything planned on the last morning?

We have annual passes so park hoping likely. We tend to spend early morning in one park, pool and/or nap in the middle of the day and then hit a park at closing
This has become our way as well!

Been calling nearly daily to try to move our captains table reservations! So far no luck, but I'm not giving up :)
Hoping to have it night 1 instead of 2 (no spoilers, I have reasons based on what I've read)

This trip will be our first with a vegetarian in tow! My DD made the choice a few weeks ago and has stuck to it. She does not tend to be a very fussy kid so the choice was a surprise. I like that she's already figuring out who she wants to be as an individual. It'll be interesting to navigate the parks with her new dietary choice though, my normal go-to quick service will need to change a bit!

Any vegetarians on here? She doesn't like salads, and doesn't care for very spicy food. We would love suggestions! She's 9, ALMOST 10. Here she is testing our her Leia dress which is two sizes too small... but we are going to use it ANYWAYS HA!

68088023332__36B6D568-2E7D-493C-8BE5-BE89BC9FA06A.jpeg

Love the parental honesty about kids not sleeping in. Did you try bringing a white noise machine? That bought me an extra hour in bed on our trip and I NEEDED it.

This trip will be our first with a vegetarian in tow! My DD made the choice a few weeks ago and has stuck to it. She does not tend to be a very fussy kid so the choice was a surprise. I like that she's already figuring out who she wants to be as an individual. It'll be interesting to navigate the parks with her new dietary choice though, my normal go-to quick service will need to change a bit!

Any vegetarians on here? She doesn't like salads, and doesn't care for very spicy food. We would love suggestions!
No real restaurant suggestions, but I’m a vegetarian and find it pretty easy to find food at Disney. I tend to look at menus ahead of time to get an idea if somewhere would work or not. Almost everywhere has some kind of plant based option. On the Starcruiser there were quite a few veggie options. Cast members at Disney have always been very helpful and accommodating, but were especially so on the Starcruiser, just let them know she is a vegetarian.

Sounds like a fun trip. Hope you all have a great time!

We are ONE WEEK away from departure!

Costumes are DONE
I do need to start packing at some point tomorrow during the day since I can't do it while my son is home (surprise!). My DD decided to switch out some of her costumes last minute, and we have enough STUFF that I might actually check a bag... will be the first time in at least 5 years! We never check bags!

Our MB+ shipped yesterday and I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. USPS tracking doesn't show an estimate yet. I sure hope we get them in time!

Any vegetarians on here? She doesn't like salads, and doesn't care for very spicy food. We would love suggestions! She's 9, ALMOST 10. Here she is testing our her Leia dress which is two sizes too small... but we are going to use it ANYWAYS HA!
Hey, fellow omnivore mama of a vegetarian kiddo here! My DS (age 10) made the choice to be vegetarian when he was 7, and we've been to WDW twice since then. Some of his favorites:
AK: Satuli Canteen - bowls with tofu
HS: Docking Bay 7 - Felucian Kefta and Hummus
Whispering Canyon - The plant-based "meat" platter, it was too much food for him but he devoured as much of it as he could. He absolutely adored the antics especially the ketchup.
MK - We used to love booking a QS breakfast or lunch at Be or Guest so he could get the vegetable quiche, but now that they've discontinued QS there we might try the meatless "crab" cake at Columbia Harbor House. If I was going to do Table Service, Skippers Canteen seems like a good bet. Contempo Cafe is also just a short monorail away and usually has some interesting QS vegetarian options, they've got a grilled tofu bowl now.

Since you're staying at AKL, I also want to say that Sanaa is delicious and great for vegetarians, I assume you've been but it's always worth checking out. Last time we were at Kidani in Feb they still had mobile order so we could get it to-go to eat in our room, which was nice since the kids were exhausted.

Hope you have a great trip!

We are ONE WEEK away from departure!
You are so close!!!!

Our MB+ shipped yesterday and I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. USPS tracking doesn't show an estimate yet. I sure hope we get them in time!
Fingers crossed they get there in time!

HS: Docking Bay 7 - Felucian Kefta and Hummus
I second this recommendation! I don't know if your DD will like it but as an adult, this is really good! The mac and cheese is good here as well. It comes with Chicken, but i feel like there has to be a way to order it without the chicken, maybe.

I would also suggest the tots from Woody's Lunchbox. They have a plant based version that is faily good!

Since you're staying at AKL, I also want to say that Sanaa is delicious and great for vegetarians, I assume you've been but it's always worth checking out. L
If you go to Sanaa, and your DD likes tomato soup. My DD LOVES it here. It comes with paneer, which is an indian cheese and has a light indian spice to it. But not a ton.

Rising moons to anyone following along! Day 1 is complete… 🥱

The big reveal: DD picked out a stuffy for DS and woke him up with a card and mr sloth beanie boo. It was perfect bc the joke round here is that DH is a sloth - it’s a very cute stuffy! The card said “get dressed, we are going to Florida”

DS was half asleep (6:30am after all) but after a second read through understood and jumped outta bed like it was on fire! All smiles and excitement!

Flight was uneventful, we were at Alamo and had a “you click we pick” reservation w skip the counter. I use that option often whenever it’s the cheapest and have sometimes gotten larger SUV’s if the gate attendant is feeling generous! No soup this time - standard size/full sedan. There were only 3 cars in the entire row, two had scratches so I went with the Malibu which I don’t love, but it’s fine. Well… it seemed fine until we turned on the AC - the smoke smell was TERRIBLE. They clearly bought the car from a smoker or didn’t clean it well enough .. but it didn’t hit hard until we were already in i4, too late to turn back because …

Oh yea I skipped the good part! While waiting at our gate I got boarding group 21 for GOTG!!!!! My daughter has gone back and forth on whether she’d ride it. She enjoys coasters but often has trepidations until she’s ridden at least once. And sometimes even if it’s been an extended period of time. While at the gate my DH told her she needed to ride bc he’s a chicken (facts) and she needed to hold his hand. Plus something about how DS & I are coaster maniacs and he needed to be not sitting with either of us hahaha! Also facts.

Anyways our boarding group got called as we were taking off, right at 8:16 which surprised me since I thought the park opened at 9. Or maybe 8:30… but still! Even with early entry… I didn’t think the VQ would go that fast.

Our AKL room wasn’t ready and our boarding group had been called hours before, so we raced over to Epcot and arrived at roughly 12:30. Not bad considering the plane landed at 11:15. Btw MCO was oddly empty. Felt like early covid times, it was great. But the flight was sold out. Strange !

94818C98-5722-4146-AAD3-675320623EE0.jpeg8813F1E4-665E-46B6-A8E9-A3DA409DA0B0.jpeg

Walking over to GOTG there was a big debate about whether we should eat first since it had been a long day already - but I was getting nervous about being several hours late for the ride, and eventually we all agreed that it would be best to wait to fill our belly’s. Especially considering the rumors it can make people sick.

Once at cosmic rewind my DD announced she would NOT ride. Disappointing! We aren’t types to force - but we sure try to use logic based arguments to encourage a change of heart.. which we absolutely did try. Knowing her anxiousness I had shown her ride thrus a few weeks ago plus some influencer reviews which I genuinely thought had worked. My son was nervous but more excited. The building even smells new, it’s very cool.

1B9C3E57-9DC1-4B41-BBDC-FD55164BC4B2.jpeg

I stopped at an umbrella inquiring about our lateness and ability to ride - she confirmed to go straight to the gate and it would not be an. Issue; they were right! We walked into the queue at 12:42

While in the queue I tried bribery. Unlimited Mickey bars? Any toy you want? It’s only 2-3 minutes long… unlimited switch time really not worth it?!?! Nothing worked. I then asked CM Craig over at the preshow what he thought about the ride, explaining DD’s fear and asked if he had insight on its intensity (again, recall we had already done our research fully. Frankly I felt confident she would LOVE the ride).

Craig was a HUGE help. He even called her brave since he doesn’t like to do RR and she does! It was the boost she needed and she reluctantly agreed.

Both kids were AMAZED. Our ride photo is hilarious.

9493CE87-B675-49DB-A28B-93BA6DA8FBE3.jpeg

I’m not sure if you can zoom in on photos, so sharing my sons face zoomed which sums up his feelings on the ride overall. In fact all our feelings - jaw dropping awesomeness.

E4305DAB-7610-4E16-B360-DB70AF043312.jpeg

Three of us didn’t feel any motion sickness at all. DH (Aka Mr Sloth) is super sensitive to motion. While he didn’t feel nothing , he did say it was better than riding space mountain from sick feeling perspective. We were walking out of the ride at 1:30, so with VQ it was a 45 minute was and ride - not too bad for a brand new highly regarded coaster!

So much more to share, that’s only half of today! But I’m Starting to drift off, so will need to continue updates tomorrow

Last edited:
DS was half asleep (6:30am after all) but after a second read through understood and jumped outta bed like it was on fire! All smiles and excitement!
Awsome!

While at the gate my DH told her she needed to ride bc he’s a chicken (facts) and she needed to hold his hand. Plus something about how DS & I are coaster maniacs and he needed to be not sitting with either of us hahaha! Also facts.
Too cute!

While in the queue I tried bribery. Unlimited Mickey bars? Any toy you want? It’s only 2-3 minutes long… unlimited switch time really not worth it?!?! Nothing worked. I then asked CM Craig over at the preshow what he thought about the ride, explaining DD’s fear and asked if he had insight on its intensity (again, recall we had already done our research fully. Frankly I felt confident she would LOVE the ride).

Craig was a HUGE help. He even called her brave since he doesn’t like to do RR and she does! It was the boost she needed and she reluctantly agreed.
YEAH for CM Craig!!!! And glad that she liked it! Why are our children so un-trusting of us?!?!

In fact all our feelings - jaw dropping awesomeness.

E4305DAB-7610-4E16-B360-DB70AF043312.jpeg
That is the face of someone who woke up suprised with a trip to Disney AND got to ride the latest and greatest ride when he first got there. Amazing!!!!

@StarWarsMomofGirls! I KNOW RIGHT?!?! I mean really… when have we ever steered them wrong REALLY?!?! Such a relief she loved it. I held back my “told ya so” but def thought it

Ok so back to yesterday… which feels like an eternity ago.

After GOTG we wandered a bit, stopped at the Mac & cheese booth and earned 3 stamps (I recommend the cowboy - YUM), browsed in shops, rode 3 Caballeros, watched some of the street type performances. But gosh it sure is HOT in Florida.. in August… midday… 😅

4:15 dinner resies at Via Napoli bc cheese pizza is always a win for the kiddos.

2501C102-7B94-488B-BAE5-DE207180778A.jpeg

By the time we left, or uh… TRIED to leave it was a classic Florida thunderstorm. One of those that hit super hard/heavy that you can’t really SEE past a couple feet. The wind was nil so it stuck for a LONG time. After about 40 minutes of playing hand games in the lobby with about 20 other wait-it-out folks we figured it was slowing down as much as it would in a reasonable amount of time and braved it with ponchos. It did rain hard enough that puddles were everywhere. Despite our best efforts all our sneakers were drenched and socks wet wet gross smelly messes.

3273A2F0-6F33-434E-B6B7-D6B33AD37198.jpeg

Nice start to your voyage, looking forward to your report...great to see how the younglings are having a blast!

Been calling nearly daily to try to move our captains table reservations! So far no luck, but I'm not giving up :)
Hoping to have it night 1 instead of 2 (no spoilers, I have reasons based on what I've read)

View attachment 692180
Your daughter is beautiful, and the dress does not look too small.
I love the way you phrased this: " I like that she's already figuring out who she wants to be as an individual. " What a wonderful way to not only support but embrace her choice!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter