Monsters, Candy Apples, Pumpkins, Vampires, Witches, Haunted Houses, Scares Zones and more. HHN 31 trip.

Love your pics and your adorable Halloween gifs!! Portofino is our favorite resort (with several others very close to favorite). They really do take care of you and such a nice serene atmosphere. Hope your leg is ok!

I am catching up Robbie…….

Love your pictures and always nice to hear about your time with your sister, such a nice way to enjoy a trip.

And we were so glad to bump into you this trip too…….:)

Thank you for posting these wonderful pictures and your backstory summaries - so helpful and interesting - you've also saved me from having to view the blumhouse movies, as I wasn't really that keen about watching them. Very much enjoying your TR.

Love your pics and your adorable Halloween gifs!! Portofino is our favorite resort (with several others very close to favorite). They really do take care of you and such a nice serene atmosphere. Hope your leg is ok!

wdwrule thank you for your kind compliments on the photos and gifs. I loved to just wonder around sometimes at Universal taking pictures. I keep finding things I have not noticed before.

Portofino is a lovely resort. So nice to hear it‘s one of your favorites too. They are so kind.

I have always felt it is far enough away from CityWalk and the parks to be have
that increased serenity like you said.

I do have to admit having stayed at both SF and RPR they are both close second favorites of mine.

My leg is healed up. Thank you for asking. I did a lot of traveling in the SUV over a 2 week period of time and I think that could been very contributory to the leg issue. Thankfully it resolved.

I am catching up Robbie…….

Love your pictures and always nice to hear about your time with your sister, such a nice way to enjoy a trip.

And we were so glad to bump into you this trip too…….:)
Carole so good to have you along for the trip report.

I do love having time with my family on vacation. My younger sister and I have traveled a lot together over the years and she is wonderful to vacation with. We never lack of things to talk and laugh about. I feel fortunate to have her in my life.

It was a nice surprise to bump into you and your mister at the Hog’s Head Pub. I enjoyed our visit.
Thank you for posting these wonderful pictures and your backstory summaries - so helpful and interesting - you've also saved me from having to view the blumhouse movies, as I wasn't really that keen about watching them. Very much enjoying your TR.

shh thank you for reading along on the trip report. . I‘am so glad your enjoying the photos and information on the houses. I don‘t always see all the movies involved with the IP houses so I try and read up on them online.

Now I’am already thinking about next years HHN.

Continued from Friday, September 9th

It was decided that The Halloween House was going to be the one to see this evening. It had a 90 minute wait posted for the regular lines.

I have talked about the hikes to the back lot areas to reach the houses. The houses at the front of the parks don‘t seem as far a walk, but it‘s still and good walk back to them.

The wait was 25 minutes with EP.

I’am pretty sure I got every one of the Mikey scares going through this house. It was based off the original Halloween and it was fantastic. My sister liked this house too.

6434155B-FE1A-46F4-BC97-3619081CF6E6.gif

Next house was “Dead Man’s Pier: Winters’s Wake” and it was again awesome. My sister thought this was a stand out house too.

Then we had a sit in the ”Sweet Revenge” scare zone and enjoyed watching people interacting with the scare actors and taking photos.

4F56C345-0FBA-4ABB-9872-48D6179EC332.jpeg

We then wondered over to Diagon Alley. It was almost deserted. I had brought one of my interactive wands and I took my sister around so she could do some of the spells. We had the best time.

We were like two little girls with Diagon Alley all to ourselves. It was wonderful.

5FA68519-5E16-461E-A4C0-C88DF3C3D6B0.jpeg

After we had finished in Diagon Alley we looked at our watches and it was almost 1 am. So we walked over the bridge and headed out through Springfield. I wanted to walk through the ”Graveyard Deadly Unrest” Scare zone on the way out.

501F3929-D520-40AE-A172-497A8E6942A3.jpeg

I thought at first this was a stationary statue. Nope its not…..LOL
I marvel at how quickly they can bend and scare you and be back in position in a flash.
D831C1EA-AD68-4F79-97E2-ACC8EF85B898.jpeg

91BA1D19-F7F0-4697-A241-D744ECD21AAC.jpegI

The actors are awesome in this Scare Zone.

It was time to exit the park and I was ready to get back to the resort. We were lucky that the boat was still there. They were loading people for HardRock and Portofino on the same boat. This happened last year when my niece and I caught the boat in the wee hours of the morning.

After a quick drop off at HardRock we were on our way to Portofino.

I was glad we were in the West building which is close to the water taxi. We got up to our room and it was 1:30 am.

I did remember this time to put the still dreaming sign on the door.

After taking turns in the bathroom getting cleaned up it was lights out.

Tomorrow was to be a rest day. Being two pool divas was the plan.

To be continued

D4C4F196-32BF-4A99-B70A-CCAF81100FBF.gif

Last edited:
Robbie 😍

This a super special hhn report and absolutely knocked my socks off with all the pictures.
Your presentation and back ground info was awesome!

Really and truly!

Many thanks for sharing hhn in such detail for all the readers.

You made this report flow so well and we felt we were standing behind you as we read the introductions to each scene.

I very much appreciate how you presented the houses to all of the readers!

I felt like I was standing behind you when you set up each segment.
Absolutely a fantastic thread.

I hope others will drop by and read it as everything will click in their head and feel they were there with you on the tour

I do day hhn tours yearly and learn so much from the guides
Totally professionals

It is well worth the time and money in taking the day tours

The team members are outstanding in these tours!

This a super special hhn report and absolutely knocked my socks off with all the pictures.
Your presentation and back ground info was awesome!

Really and truly!

Many thanks for sharing hhn in such detail for all the readers.

Mac so very glad to have you reading along on the trip report.

Thank you for your kind compliments.

You have been so helpful over the years sharing all you know about HHN to everyone.

Thank you for all you have done to educate me on HHN and all you continue to do to help others.

You are the Queen of HHN.

Saturday, September 10th

Even though I did not get to sleep until 2 am my peepers were wide awake at 7am. I’am typically a early riser and I thought since I did not go to sleep until the wee hours of the morning I would sleep in. Didn’t happen.

The curtains in the room when pulled together are awesome and offer complete darknesss even on the sunniest days, but even that was not going to keep me sleeping this morning.

I had a mission this early morning. I tried not to make to much noise getting ready as not to wake my sister, but she woke up. I told her I was going go to Walmart on Turkey Lake Road and then find a car wash to spray the Lovebug carnage off my SUV.

I drove through some areas with lovebugs on the way up to Universal from my house on Thursday. These bugs will not wash off with regular window washing fluid and they do not come off your vehicle easily.

Along with the above issues the fluids from said bugs becomes acidic and will do serious damage to a cars paint if not sprayed off in a timely manner.

I left and headed to Walmart on Turkey Lake Road. I like to go there in the early morning as it is very easy to get in and shop and get out. If you go in the afternoon or evening it is a madhouse.

This Walmart is very popular and convenient to the Resorts at Universal and the Hotels in the Disney Spring area.

When I got out of the car at Walmart I got a good look at the front of my SUV and it was covered with lovebugs. So the next stop had to be a car wash.

I picked up some water, diet drinks, fruit and some chips and crackers.

After getting my supply’s from Walmart I continued on Turkey lake Road. As you continue on it eventually turns into Palm parkway.

I stopped at the Starbucks drive thru for my Pumpkin cream cold brew and while I was waiting I searched for a car wash on my phone.

There were a couple of very small car washes located just a few blocks away on SR 535, but I needed a heavy duty car wash with a spray hose I could spray with and there weren’t any around.

So drove down 535 E for a few miles and stopped to fill up my tank at a gas station. I asked a lady in the gas staton if knew of any car washes around.

She suggested I drive down make a left on 192 which was about 3 miles away and there would be a large car wash there. So I made the trip down 192 eventually found the carwash and they were busy. I wasn‘t the only one getting lovebugs off their vehicles.

After the car wash I headed back to the resort.

I brought the snacks and some of the drinks up to the room. With the car being sheltered from the sun in the garage I figured we could bring more drinks in as needed as I could not carry that many with the other things I had bought.

When I arrived to the room my sister and I got ready for pool time. It was about 10:30 am. We gathered our needed sunscreen, books, sunglasses etc and off to the pool we went.

There are 3 pools at Portofino. The Beach Pool, The Villa pool and the Hillside Pool.

We decided on the Villa Pool as the Beach Pool can be a bit busier and it is really geared to appeal to everyone but more so families and kiddo’s. They do a lot of fun games and trivia. Also the slide is at the beach pool. I have been down that slide and it is fun.

The Villa pool is more laid back. You usually see more adults there, but kids to come in with their parents at times.

You do use your room key to get into the pool areas.

Once we walked through the gate there was iced fruit water and cups for you to use. There were also plenty of chair towels for the beach chairs and plenty of regular towels.

We found a spot with a couple of umbrellas. It was nice because one of the chairs was on the outside more and I could get some sun.

We enjoyed some reading and I was able to swim a few laps.

After a nice swim I headed back to my chair to prop my leg up and rest.

Around noon we were thinking about some lunch. There had been a very nice pool attendant who had bought around some frozen grapes to everyone at about 11. That was a nice touch.

We were told that there were not enough waiters today so if we wanted food we could mobile order it and pick it up at Splendido at Beach Pool. The Beach and Villa pool are pretty much right across from each other. You walk out of the gate of the Villa pool and across the walk and there is the Beach Pool.

We just left our things on the chairs and walked over to the beach pool sat down at one of the tables and ordered our food.

We decided to order three things and do a sampling meal.

The mozzarella sticks
6557A6B6-F450-4EEC-BC8C-2AC3160A01F4.jpeg

A Turkey club. This is my favorite sandwich from Splendido.

BACA86FA-C20E-45A9-A54C-06BE9D6FFEC2.jpeg

And the Nacho’s
60287570-BA48-4F6D-A63C-67C1491C7522.jpeg

Everything was delicious and there was food left over, but thats ok. Sometimes it is just nice to have variety. Bryan our waiter was fantastic.

After lunch it was back to the pool for more reading and relaxing. Total pool diva mode…..LOL

At about 3 pm the storm clouds started moving in from the northwest in earnest and the pool attendant came around and ask everyone to exit the pool. Then 15 minutes later he returned and said do to impending storm and possible lightening the pool was closing.

We gathered our towels to put in used towel bin and headed back to the room for shower and bath and a nap.

I thought since this day had been so laid back and picture short I would share a few past photos from my travels to Universal. It is off topic, but hope you like it.

What made me think of these photos in particular was the recent passing of Robbie Coltrane who portrayed Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies. He was a fantastic actor and will be forever remembered as a gentle giant and true friend of Harry and his pals.

May he rest in peace.

E0843D84-84E5-40CB-A0E9-739445FD35C3.gif

A few years ago Universal was doing a yearly Celebration of Harry Potter week. If I remember correctly it was held around the first week of February. During this time some of the stars of the Potter films would be there and there were special presentations and events to attend. Like HHN this event had special events that were separately ticketed.

People came dressed up in their favorite Potter characters. I went one year and it was awesome.

I remember running into a family checking into Portofino that included grandma, mom and two teenage granddaughters who were all in their Potter robes checking in for the event. It was touching to see a family enjoying time together. JK Rowling really created something special for all ages for sure.

There was a guy there dressed as Delores Umbridge. I couldn’t believe his awesome costume. He looked at me and said you want a photo with me and I said heck yes….LOL

8B4F9253-0B06-4261-BC83-6F8731A656C8.jpeg

And yes he had heels on.
8E0AD5FB-7561-48DB-9D3B-4FCC2B854103.jpeg

A guy dressed up as Professor Snape and next to him is Bellatrix Lestrange
94E30CE2-F95C-4D7A-B477-31F992339C5B.jpeg

And this couple came as Arthur and Molly Weasley
90571B5A-9A68-4635-A470-DF4A309F9ED0.jpeg

It was so sad when this event stopped. Not sure why.

to be continued

D78923CD-8CF0-484A-9F54-37D4A8BCB5F4.gif

Last edited:
I am so enjoying this trip report! Love all the details, and it is wonderful you included your pool day. It’s really nice to get a glimpse of what is available at the resorts, and ways to take a break and relax.

RPR is our favorite, but we also stay at Portofino at times and find it to be lovely. 🥰

I am so enjoying this trip report! Love all the details, and it is wonderful you included your pool day. It’s really nice to get a glimpse of what is available at the resorts, and ways to take a break and relax.
So glad to have you along for the trip report Worfiedoodles. Thank you for your kind comments.

I’am finally to the stage in my life that learning how to relax more on vacation and it is nice.

RPR is our favorite, but we also stay at Portofino at times and find it to be lovely. 🥰
RPR is a beautiful Resort with the kindest staff. I have stayed there a few times and really enjoyed it.

It is interesting how certain Resorts just appeal to people differently. We all seem to have our favorites for sure. Although Portofino feels like my home away from home. SF and RPR are close seconds. They are beautiful too.

We are lucky to have so many options.

Saturday, September 10th continued.

After my nap it was time to catch up with emails. Then I did a little reading. Before long it was time to think about dinner plans and we just decided to go to Sal’s for pizza. It had started to rain and after we got to Sal’s the rain came down in buckets.

We ordered a pizza and picked up a pre-made salad. We went with the cola machine drinks. Our pizza was very good and the salad was ok.

The rain had tapered off and we walked into a couple of the shops in the piazza and then went in for a gelato. They had pumpkin spice gelato and it was very good.

We sat out in the piazza for awhile. I did not want to do a lot of walking as I had my RIP Tour tomorrow evening.

We called it an early Night and turned in after talking to our hubbies. It was about 11 pm and I was out once by head hit the pillow.

To be continued

CC7B3672-6CAF-4285-8B5B-BFB503C6EF2E.gif

Sunday, September 11th

I was able to sleep until about 8 am this this morning. It was going to be another rest day at the pool as I had my RIP Tour this evening and wanted to save my legs.

My sister did not plan on doing the tour this evening. Up until just a few days before I was do to leave for this trip my sister wasn’t sure she was going to be able to go. She was finally able to confirm she was going, but did not want to do the tour. We had ROF with EP so she was happy with that.

I already had my RIP Tour and UMH Tour planned and paid for. So I wanted to follow through with those tours.

I went down to Starbucks to pick us up a coffee.

When I returned I went out on the balcony and watched folks boarding the water taxi joyfully starting their day and enjoyed the morning sun.

We were ready for the pool when our housekeeper Zelia knocked on the door. We had a nice chat with her before we left. She was so kind and professional. She kept our room spotless and always kept us stocked with towels and toiletries. She is the best.

I always leave a tip for the maids everyday on the night stand. They are wonderful and very deserving of the tips they receive.

We went to the Villa Pool again.

We had this down pat. Go through the gate, get chair towels, beach towels, fruit water and find a nice spot around the pool. We found some nice pool loungers with umbrellas on the other side of the pool today.

38B726B7-2D4F-4531-9B59-D270723C6E35.jpeg

There were just a few other people at the pool. It was very calm and serene.

We had noticed the day before that people were ordering what appeared to be cocktails in these nice size plastic buckets.

There were enough servers and they were coming around and taking orders and we asked about the drinks. This was new since I was here last. These were 16 oz cocktails off the menu.

If we were going to be true pool Diva’s we needed one of these for sure.

B3667D3F-260E-428B-8335-F3477CF4814C.jpeg

RIght before our drinks arrived the server had brought around frozen grapes then an hour later cold trail mix to snack on. I could get used to this pool Diva life easily….LOL

Later it was time for lunch and guess what I ordered, Yep the turkey club. It is my favorite sandwich. My sister had the fish sandwich and she liked it too.

EF69CF96-81A8-4957-84A0-96A10AA29184.jpeg

The Villa pool has a hot whirlpool and a cool dip pool

E1260896-294C-4D72-8D4F-A6222C4BA741.jpeg

There is a nice outdoor shower

C32B6881-F03D-4AD1-B50E-D6471868748A.jpeg

As well as a nice clean changing room and restrooms.

They have Cabanas for rent. I like the beach pool Cabana‘s a little better as well as the Cabana’s at Sapphire Falls better then these, but they are still nice.
4D633F0D-3A46-41D6-884A-2A4A85B9CD80.jpeg

DD566D92-C51A-4CC7-9860-F71718B22025.jpeg

At about 3:30 pm we decided to head back to the room. I had a nice soak in the tub. Put on some comfy clothes and was out for a nap.

After a nice snooze I woke up and my sister talked about what she was going to do for the evening. She said she was going to CityWalk for dinner and had not decided where yet. She said she was not sure if she would wonder into HHN tonight or not.

I wanted to leave a little early for my RIP Tour which didn‘t start until 8 pm. I wanted to walk around and enjoy the Scare Zones before dark.

I think it was about 6 pm when I left for the water taxi.

After a nice water taxi ride over to CityWalk it was HHN time.

7708DB69-1437-4C3F-AAB2-44E66384DACB.jpeg

To be continued

B9FF3FC6-0C37-4534-A00D-EEBAF0AFD631.gif

Last edited:
Sunday, September 11th continued

I went through the on-site Resort guest entrance this evening and snapped some pictures in the “Horrors of Halloween“ scare zone.

The Pumpkin Lord was in his pumpkin holding court over his adoring minions.

F9AF576E-1163-4D5C-B5F4-137CC7115861.jpeg

2A5DA45B-D5BB-4F5D-93B1-A3E062330DFE.jpeg

966D17FC-AF31-4722-8B6B-B2132892AA00.jpeg

BF74299B-95A7-4028-B119-479018A0E6D3.jpeg

Then there was the Witch on stilts.

A9425820-D827-40E7-BFBF-C8B919389925.jpeg

F6A9B3F7-5234-484A-8303-131367548EA7.jpeg

525E520D-BAA6-4E5A-A218-06F1DD71658A.jpeg

This make up was both terrifying and beautiful. How these scare actors walk on those stilts amazes me.

DE3761F9-9EB8-4922-9B9E-4E68024FE83D.jpeg

CE3E0332-C411-4A28-9230-437270FE0EA6.jpeg

To be continued

788CA5FA-7CC1-4BC6-8F28-F7F65D74B183.gif

I turned around and this scary Pumpkin fellow was standing behind me.

D7445352-38F0-4087-84EB-5267850DD74F.jpeg

38AA76F1-2484-4543-931D-1245F5E9E72D.jpeg

I decided to head over to “Graveyard: Deadly Unrest” Scare Zone.

The Zombie Scare Actors in this Scare Zone were awesome.

5A33A7B6-4C5D-4000-87AD-06DAAA212DA3.jpeg

B5958EF9-E037-4A92-87D1-F2C9FA2EBD8E.jpeg

DE2A8E8B-4D1C-405F-B298-09C1DCC72DB0.jpeg

DB841A78-5CD5-4906-9FA9-34736D9A45D7.jpeg

BB2CA61F-87E0-4C3E-8495-19B8CFD6D11C.jpeg

7EB640BD-05AB-4F4D-BED7-C8588386C0A4.jpeg

I had seen this double ghost in the dark.

552472EF-8D3F-4626-8812-97604E6B35AB.jpeg

01D213EF-CC31-4229-9A69-F82E1CB4E304.jpeg

Last edited:
These two Scare Actors were incredible. I stopped off on the side just to watch them and they were awesome. They looked like two little Zombie girl twins playing together.

32C0D7F7-A502-4B3D-A94A-EC29E2AA19AC.jpeg

5B3654A4-27A0-4751-9B81-BD5494B5585B.jpeg

E3F398A6-6ECF-47C7-8E7A-2DECBE1CDA19.jpeg

2ACB29AE-1537-442D-8431-4AFAC9C829E4.jpeg

32654990-A30B-4E80-9088-57A4D9707108.jpeg

60C1D1DA-25ED-4841-B098-E92A045D5F7B.jpeg

This was for sure one of my favorite Scare Zones. The make up and costumes were phenomenal.

6990FCF9-2F79-413D-8385-4C0465C05412.jpeg

This looked like a stationary Gargoyle, but it wasn’t.

810FC1F0-8E72-4497-A56F-9033393B8DD4.jpeg

0CD8826E-FC1A-4CCB-8569-C3FE6823DE3D.jpeg

Cannot say enough about this beautiful Scare Zone. Make up, costumes, Scare Actors all perfection.

To be continued

EABE485C-DB16-48FF-B1D3-AE1B3CAFCDE4.gif

After having a nice walk through of the Graveyard: Deadly Unrest Scare Zone I wonder on over the to ScareCrow: Cursed Soil Scare Zone

This Skeleton man made of sticks was pretty cool.

65F44B5F-D10A-403C-A57C-7396DEDB7CBA.jpeg

7176F5AB-3A53-4162-BA83-F3C356D7FF04.jpeg

0B765DBA-003D-417A-A3F9-E13940979139.jpeg

The eyes.
78775AEB-A6A2-46D6-8468-055387C2C1E1.jpeg

E31D4144-1E00-44E7-9A55-698CE44A2077.jpeg

These scary Corn Stalk characters were interesting.
45372F5A-B57D-412E-BB78-9B51092E343C.jpeg

2116589B-79A6-45F7-A947-E5A8A873740F.jpeg

6D9BEE54-2321-4D20-B5A1-D0350927FC2B.jpeg

43344F0A-27B7-457F-A21E-91782ECE7BD2.jpeg

F6461F61-DC4B-46DB-8D6D-0DB59B56DE40.jpeg

Last edited:
This big frightening Tree Ent was something. This for sure would be hard to walk in on stilts.
D705AE36-D129-4D53-AC91-AA5B6B8880B6.jpeg

725DFDA9-2377-4BD7-AD1C-D02094A85E88.jpeg

I stood by and watched what I thought was a prop at first then realized it was a scare actor when he sprang up and took after a guy that was over 6 feet tall and probably weighed 250. The poor guy took off running and screaming.

2FD01E51-2481-4147-BF9B-C834AFB4EF74.jpeg

I was told later in the evening that there are awards given to the best scare actors and this person definitely deserved one as well as the twins in the Graveyard Scare Zone.

To be continued

EE8FC094-4052-4791-8980-8CF0B005EC1B.gif

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter