Monsters, Candy Apples, Pumpkins, Vampires, Witches, Haunted Houses, Scares Zones and more. HHN 31 trip.

Robo56

Look into my eyes
Welcome friends. Look into my eyes and come along with me for my HHN 31 trip report.

F891E330-5850-4285-8949-8C4F45B68465.jpeg

All comments and questions welcome.

C997DED6-EEF8-4B71-975F-ED90F270309A.gif

I pretty much like all things Halloween. It is the time of the season when everything begins to cool down and the leaves begin to fall.

I have already decorated my house for Halloween. It is never to early to decorate for Halloween. The stores started early in our area with putting Halloween Decorations on display to sell. I keep saying I will not buy another Halloween decoration. Then of course I find something new that is unique and I cave…..LOL… No matter, it did set the mood for getting ready for my trip to HHN.

I read Bram Stoker’s Dracula and Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein when I was a little girl. It really left an impression on me for sure.

We had a beautiful old Library in our town that was built from funding by Andrew Carnegie. He was a Scottish-American philanthropist who‘s generosity was responsible for building many Library‘s across the US. Mr Carnegie was responsible for building 2,509 library’s between 1883 and 1929. Of those 1,689 were built in the United States. I love to read and have fond memories of that old Library.

I have watched many Dracula movies over the years. The great Bela Lugosi was one of my favorite Vampires.

8997B24C-E418-48A2-8FBD-CBA1E7FE325B.gif

I took the picture of my Avatar in the Monsters Cafe a few years ago. It recently closed. Universal did a great job with Monsters Cafe. I’am looking forward to seeing what they do at Epic Universe.

I have seen Dracula over the years portrayed as a ghoulish fiend and a tortured soul as in Bram Stokers Dracula played by Gary Oldham.
9BDAA425-E485-4CB3-8F48-BE3EBB8E01EF.gif

Frank Langellas performances brought a handsome eroticism to Dracula.
234918BE-F17A-4DD3-9CD5-2A96831B688A.jpeg

Then Luke Evans portrayal In Dracula Untold made you feel truly sorry for him and for the choice he made to save his kingdom.
E4D38379-201F-4A9B-8C7C-A46A841166EC.jpeg

I have yet to see a Haunted House that can encompass Dracula in the manner and style it was meant to be. It is a big wish house of mine.

There was a Hive House at HHN 27, but it was just did not live up to expectations.

I think Universal will be able to do a fantastic Vampire House in the future. I will wait patiently. Hint Hint……Bats on Bungee’s and tracts.
B40FF510-28AF-4125-95D4-F9D391565FB2.gif
OOPs!!!!! I digressed into Vampire things.

Back to start of trip report.

I look forward to my trip to Universal Orlando for HHN every year. I usually travel solo for the trip. My husband does not like to travel much anymore. We have traveled fairly extensively over the years. My hubby is a wonderful, supportive, loving gentleman and he is the love of my life. He understands my need to feed my Halloween addiction. I’am blessed to have him for sure. HHN is my Halloween fun time to go and enjoy the parks and Haunted Houses.

Last year my niece B flew in for a few days. We had a great time. She is a Graphic Artist and she also loves Halloween. She was along for the trip to HHN in 2016. Back then they still had the bloody Nurses walking around with the IV bag cocktails on the IV poles. We still talk about that.

I’am a retired RN and my older sister D is also a retired RN who lives near Orlando and younger sister K is still working as an RN.

My younger sister K, B’s mom was able to get her vacation time off this year to come with me on this trip. She loves Halloween as much as I do. She also decorates her house for Halloween. We have been known to do some serious sister shopping damage at HomeGoods, Big Lot’s etc....for Halloween items all the while saying we don‘t need anymore Halloween decorations.

My niece B told be a few years ago that her moms Halloween decorations are happy and mine are more scary…..LOL

My sister and I had just returned from our nephews wedding in Iowa on Sunday evening which was a little over a thousand mile round trip. Then turned around and left for my home in Florida on Wednesday morning.

There was no chance to lengthen the time between the trips.

I scrambled to make changes to my resort reservations after I received the information on my nephews wedding a few months ago. The resorts were booked up already and I was lucky to get the dates changed early enough.

On a interesting note. There was a house in Osage Iowa that looked just like the Addams Family house. I wished I had taken a picture of it. It was really cool and creepy. Might ask Nephew to take a photo of it and send it to me the next time he is in Osage.

Since I brought up the wedding. It was beautiful and touching. My nephew was handsome and the bride was beautiful. It was a gorgeous happy day.

When I made my plans for the trip to HHN I decided on 10 days. I have stayed 14, 12 and 11 days and It always seems as the trip is coming to a close that no number of days is long enough to do all there is to do at Universal and the surrounds.

Wednesday, September 7

It was a long drive from Southren Indiana to my home in Florida, but having my sister to talk to was awesome. We are close and it seems we never have a shortage of things to talk about.

My son had told me about Buc-ee’s when he visited us in Florida in January of this year. My husband and I stopped at one on the way back up to Southern Indiana in April. All I can say is that its like the Walmart of gas stations.
38BBD65C-48D3-4F32-93DD-2D9A458A120F.png

We made sure to make frequent stops for walks and I stopped at Buc-ee’s on 75 in Georgia for gas which is really reasonable and my sister and i went inside and the place was humming with people. The bathrooms are very large and very clean. The place has so many items to sell they actually have grocery carts. They are known for their fresh barbecue and brisket sandwiches. But all the food is to go. There is no place to sit and eat.

If you are traveling and a Buc-ee’s is on your travel route have a stop and look.

There are tons of gas pumps.

Thursday, September 8

My home is about an hour and 45 minutes south of Orlando. On the drive up on 95 to the 520 to 528 my car was plastered with love bugs. No amount of windshield wiper fluid will wash these pesky bugs off your windshield. Also the fluids from these bugs will mar the paint on your car if not wash off in a timely manner.

Splattered bugs or not we were on our way to my favorite Resort at Universal.

We arrived at the Beautiful Portofino for check in at about 11:30 am. The Check in line was short so not a long wait at all. I was greeted by the lovely Jennifer she was very kind and helpful. The room was ready so that was an unexpected treat.

We unpacked our bags at the door and I parked the car. I would deal with the bug carnage later.

The lobby of the Portofino smells fantastic and it is beautiful open and so inviting.

to be continued

86D5EA12-AED4-4A05-9018-89734E5F0A11.gif

Last edited:
A little aside before I start back on the trip report. Remember when I said my sister and I love to shop for Halloween things. Well new things were added today to my collection.

Every year there is a 4-H craft fair the last full weekend in September. So today was the start. There are some really talented local Artist that show there.

Here is my haul from the day of shopping at the fair.

There is a lady there that makes the most delicious Pecan cinnamon rolls and yeast rolls there. So bought some of those.
4401EC78-AE87-4BCB-844E-31090F6085B1.jpeg

These pumpkin post earrings were to cute to pass up.
E8B2E05E-74CB-42B2-803A-0A03EBFAA258.jpeg

There was a lady there that made cards. The photos don‘t really do them justice. I’am going to frame these and they will have a home in my Halloween Witch Tree and The Pumpkin Tree.
C7B11496-3790-4A22-BA64-CAFB28A76863.jpeg

This was a cute little Halloween Witch House. It holds a small candle or a battery operated candle.
2BE4FD87-74EA-48B8-98BA-3C3EB7D14EB9.jpeg

Since my niece told me once that my decorations tend to be on the scary side and they are compared to her moms (my younger sister). I found this whimsical flicker candle and I will put it under my Witch Tree…..This will now be a non-scary addition to my Halloween decor…..LOL
99779CBD-3CB3-46D5-8EB4-32CE51D25B87.jpeg

Couldn’t pass up this little Witch holding a ghost. Loved the facial expression.
007C9D98-33C9-4C2C-8D64-2F13921294D7.jpeg

The ceramic leaves were very cute. I bought a few of them as did my sister. The Candle and Witch were made by the same Artist who made these leaves.
2CE41DBC-294B-4F77-A0AD-720574EDB056.jpeg

I really liked this Hocus Pocus insulated tumbler.
C994D7AE-2906-41D8-9C5C-9E932988A8D8.jpeg

BFCE95D0-6A7C-4F9E-B976-51D4531D924D.jpeg

This was a nice sign to add to my kitchen Halloween display.
A912BE91-E0E9-4A09-9650-3DC6800D43E5.jpeg

Last edited:
A few more pieces from my purchase today.

This one will fit nicely by my Pumpkin Tree
DBF0F02F-71BD-4D9F-AB1B-2B2013C6B9D0.jpeg

This one will go in the Witch Tree.
8CBF1BF9-ECD4-42D6-AC72-8798BB4F0401.jpeg

My older sister D made this fake bake for me in a Vampire cup my younger sister K bought me. My older sister D is very talented. They have added to by Vampire collection.
AB7166CA-CD47-4D22-AD89-02B422CADE25.jpeg

Witch Tree
83287085-09B5-4B33-B007-691EA9DA45D6.jpeg

Pumpkin Tree
C5B18791-EE44-4AF0-86F5-6EC6AB4B32AF.jpeg

Buffet in dining room
69B45FE5-B4A4-4DA1-971A-239C81556792.jpeg

Last edited:
Continued from Thursday, September 8th

After check in we went over to the guest services in the lobby and had our ROF with EP tickets printed and my UMH and RIP tickets printed.

We bought these HHN lanyards to put our tickets in at guest services.
290553E6-40C0-4873-B397-EF9DD1F46276.jpeg

Then we took the elevator to the Harbor and walked out into the beautiful piazza and the familiar Harbor view. It was awesome to be back at my favorite Resort Portofino.

921A9F1B-3649-4DF6-82EA-86AB0BDBDEB6.jpeg

We rolled our luggage through the piazza to the West Wing. I like staying in this wing if a room is available. It is closer to the water taxi and is more convenient after a long day in the park or HHN.

The room was spotless and the airconditioning felt good when we walked through the door. It was hot and humid out. The room was well appointed with towels and toiletry items. It felt so good to be back at my home away from home Portofino.

If you have any additional needs ie. Towels or shampoo etc. you can call Star Services on the phone in your room or text additional needs from your cell phone and they will be delivered to your room.

I brought some extra plastic hangers as there were two of us on this trip and it helped to have enough to unpack and hang clothes.

I do lIke to get the closet and drawers sorted and bathroom set up after arriving to the room. It just makes everything more tidy and the suitcases can be packed away in the closet.

By the time we were done getting things put away. It was about 2:30 pm and it had started raining.

We had coffee for breakfast and no lunch and we decided to go under cover from the rain to Sal’s. We both had the Chicken Parmesan sandwich and it was very good. I thought I had taken a photo of it, but I could not find it.

Then it was back to the room. It was pouring rain out. There were people coming back to the resort off the boat and they were drenched. They were lucky as a little while later the thunder and lightening started and the boats quit running.

The rooms at the Portofino are nice and large and the bathroom in our room was huge.

We decided to take a shower and a bath and relax for awhile and try and wait out the rain. This room had both a shower and and tub. My sister is a shower person and I like tub bathing. So it worked out great. We took our turns in the bathroom and settled in for a nap.

A very wise lady told me once how nice it is to bring a comfy small blanket and pillow on trips for use in the car and in the room for naps. It was my little sister K. I finally listened.

1CAA674A-899D-446B-9BEC-EE751F8F09B4.jpeg

I brought my Harry Potter blanket and K brought her Disney blanket. I had put them on our respective beds. It made the room more homey I think.

0BF313FA-0E02-4E28-8A97-513399B44A4F.jpeg

The beds and pillows are very comfortable at Portofino. After my shower I put on some comfy clothes covered up with my Potter blanket and was lulled to sleep by the storm outside and the nice air conditioned room.

I slept for about 2 hours. When I woke up my sister said she was impressed at how as soon as my head hit the pillow in my bed I was out…LOL.…I may or may not have snored just a wee bit. My niece her daughter B told me the same thing when she was along last year for HHN for a few days. I will chalk it up to being her senior by 9 year and being tired. Thats my story and I’am sticking to it ::yes::

After a nice snooze the weather had broken and there was just a slight light drizzle. The room had a balcony that overlooked the end of the Bay and the Water Taxi dock. We could see the boats were running and so we got ready and headed out for a night of HHN. I did not want to do much this evening as I had my UMH Tour in the morning and wanted to save my legs for the Tour.

I have had bilateral knee replacements so the hardware in the knees always sets off the alarms. A quick wanding by security and off we were to the boat.
The water taxi ride over to CItyWalk is always nice. The boat Captains are so pleasant.

It was still warm and humid, but not terribly unpleasant out.

And then we arrived

2CD5516B-CD29-4CFA-9C9D-6FDCEBB2896C.jpeg

The plan was to make the loop of the Scare Zones and look at the wait times for the houses and see the houses with the lowest wait times.

I took all the photos I have in my report with my iphone 12 pro max. I really like the camera with this phone.

Whats nice about taking photos with my phone is the photos are in order with the date and time they were taken and it helps with the trip report along with the notes.

I missed not having the maps this year. I had become accustomed to having the map to look at while walking around HHN. After HHN I would save the map as a reminder of the Houses and Scare Zones.

All the information about HHN was on the Universal Orlando Website. It included all the Scare Zone and House locations and wait times.

I understand tech wise why Universal did away with the maps. Having it on the website does appeal to the younger tech savvy crowd, but I think having a few of the maps around would also appeal to the older generation in the crowd. I did ok with the website.

It wasn’t to busy. It was a little after 6 when we arrived. The lines were not to long going through the turnstiles. I always have issues with my fingers scanning. I used to play the Bass and I will chalk it up to that. Pretty much 9 times out of 10 I have to show my ID when coming through with my AP or HHN tickets. On a occasional fluke it works. Thats why its important to have some sort of ID on you when going to the parks.

I always feel sorry for the folks that get stopped up behind me going through.

Alert: There will be photos of Scare Zones, Scare Actors and Houses. If you have not attended HHN and are going to just wanted everyone to be aware. It does not bother me to see photos and video information ahead of attending HHN. I know there is already tons of information out now on HHN 31, but I want to be sensitive to those who have not attended yet and do not want to see things ahead of time.

We turned right one in the park and headed through “Graveyard Deadly Unrest” the Scare Actors weren’t obvious here yet, but I took a few photos of the set.

It looked like it was going to be a cool Scare Zone at night.

37138B4F-9C98-4B0F-A941-C7C326423C4A.jpeg

2254591D-074E-4D76-B3CE-A55D2918E36B.jpeg

52E57256-9012-4050-8F0F-4781041477F4.jpeg

FD5A7C30-38BF-4792-9595-E75C3B02B68F.jpeg

It reminded me of the above ground graves in New Orleans.

Looking back at a lot of the photos on this trip you can see the ominous clouds still over head threatening rain.

It is the rainy season in Florida. So rain or no rain we were there to enjoy HHN and have a great time.

Last edited:

A few more pieces from my purchase today.

This one will fit nicely by my Pumpkin Tree
View attachment 704811

This one will go in the Witch Tree.
View attachment 704827

My older sister D made this fake bake for me in a Vampire cup my younger sister K bought me. My older sister D is very talented. They have added to by Vampire collection.
View attachment 704829

Witch Tree
View attachment 704831

Pumpkin Tree
View attachment 704833

Buffet in dining room
View attachment 704832
Wow love love those trees!!!🎃🧙‍♀️🧛‍♂️

Portofino is my favorite place with its serene atmosphere, and oh, that lobby smell is divine! I feel like I’m away on my own piece of Italy there. Loving your report!

Last edited:
Wow love love those trees!!!🎃🧙‍♀️🧛‍♂️
Thank you wdwrule. I enjoy decorating for Halloween.

Portofino is my favorite place with its serene atmosphere, and oh, that lobby smell is divine! I feel like I’m away on my own piece of Italy there. Loving your report!
Your right Portofino does have a serene atmosphere. The scent in the lobby is awesome. It is my favorite Resort Too. I just feel at home there.

I’am so glad to have you along for the report.

The next Scare Zone was Scarecrow: Cursed Soil

Back story: This is set in a town in Nebraska in the Heartland of the US. This is an abandon Farm and the Scarecrows have risen to hunt you and seek revenge.

C0B10689-5184-4852-A22F-4E037B59D9EE.jpeg

AADD7DDC-C665-4FCF-BD6C-457D214949EC.jpeg

A5806B5D-4261-4967-AA5A-9AD31EDBFC29.jpeg

4117E422-5FB6-4844-907E-E8920DFF807D.jpeg

2C0BED45-924D-40B2-9D13-E0DC38F79633.jpeg

87FE2B98-217A-47C0-8D53-8C78329E9FA2.jpeg

CD7FC882-59A2-46DD-BD19-76F0D8F1DA56.jpeg

E3B32CD3-8CF4-4913-A522-53CB9BED7EDD.jpeg

42DCA79B-CB11-46C7-BFAC-E09C8686FED5.jpeg

DAA04524-0246-4886-B4E8-7CFC45AB2FC1.jpeg

This was a very well done Scare Zone. Over the course of attending HHN I was able to appreciate the Artistic Talent that went into creating this Scare zone.

Last edited:

If I understand it correctly there are 7 Original Houses this year and 3 IP Houses.

The Original Houses are created by Universals HHN Creative Directors and Artists.

The IP (Intellectal Properties) houses are like Halloween, Blumhouse, Stranger Things etc… These are properties that belong to and are copyrighted by their creators. If I understand it correctly When the rights to use the IP have been worked out then Universal Creative artist come in and bring those houses to life. There have been some incredible IP Houses in the past. Stanger Things, Exorcist, American Horror stories, Walking Dead, The Shining and Krampus to name a few.

There have also been some awesome Original Houses over the years. The Fallen (my favorite house of all), Ghost Town: Curse of Lightening Gulch, Scarecrow The Reaping, Dead Waters and Yeti: Terror of the Yukon to name a few and many more.

Our first house of the evening was Universal Monsters: Legends Collide
44F29BCA-194F-4C45-ABC8-21583B4BC697.jpeg

The back story on this house is that the Mummy, Dracula and the Werewolf are fighting to find a special Amulet that will break their respective curses. Was told my TM that the victor can change every night. This I think would be a Universal original house. The Universal Monsters belong to Universal.

I enjoyed this house. It really had a lot more Mummy things in this house. I would have liked to see more of Dracula and Werewolf, but you can’t have everything.

The scares were nice and it was a good first walk through.

A little side information. The Haunted Houses are located on the back lots and some of the walks back to the houses are very long. As is the walk back. There are metal barriers that are in place to help snake the crowds there and back.

Some of the longer walks are the Houses located behind the Barney/ ET area and the Houses that are located to the right of MIB (if you facing MIB) and the Bug House to the left of MIB.

Wear comfortable shoes that you have broken in before attending the event. Make sure the shoes are not slippery on wet surfaces if you are caught out in the rain.

It cannnot be helped it‘s just a lot of walking. In addition to all the walking there is the weather which can be hot, humid and rainy at times.

Just remember to
8157BA2A-7285-468E-8B0A-08CC784D0AE7.jpeg
I love this sign......LOL

Hydrate and take frequent rest breaks if needed. I know some folks have only one or two days to attend and kinda of commando the event, but it does take a toll and if you can be more leisurely about it do so.

Do not try and do a full park day then stay in the park and do a full night of HHN. This is not a good plan. You will be an exhausted Zombie if you last the night. Make sure to rest during the day before you attend HHN in the evening. It will make your experience much more enjoyable.

If you can afford EP on a busy evening buy it. It will save you a lot of standing in long lines waiting to get into houses.

An even better option especially if you only have one night to attend is an RIP Tour.

There are Public RIP Tours and Private RIP Tours.

The Public Rip Tour is led by a guide who will give you all the back information on the houses before you go in them. They take you to the front of the door past all the lines. You are given a RIP Tour lanyard and button. You can enjoy snacks and drinks at La Bamba Cafe before the tour starts and come back for rest and refreshment breaks with your Tour group. There are two cocktail breaks on the tour to purchase cocktails if you want. You do attend the nighttime Fuel show. This Tour allows you one front of the line access to each house. There are typically 10 to 12 people on this tour and the flow of the evening is set by the tour guide. The Tour Guides are wonderful and tipping is accepted if you feel led to do so.

The Private RIP Tour is purchased by an individual and they can invite people to join their Tour. Typically the cost per person is split amount each member of the group. In these tours the individual who purchased the tour can work with the Tour Guide and arrange the evening according to their requests. This tours allows you multiple front of the line access to the houses in one night as well as Lanyard, snacks and cocktail breaks. The number of people in this tour is decided by the individual who purchases the Tour and is usually capped at 10 to 12 people. There can be as little as 2 people in this tour. It‘s up to the purchaser.

B55896A8-1C69-4575-8B4A-6D1EEB4E5D26.gif

to be continued.

Last edited:

Our next house was Descendants of Destruction

A5695007-40C2-407F-925E-A8EA8A1A77F1.jpeg

378EBF57-D9BC-4DE0-A4EF-AFA97513764B.jpeg

The back story on this house. It is set in the deserted subway tunnels of New York. Mutants are on the loose and looking for the last remnants of humanity to feast on. This is a Universal original house.

The House was visually interesting and had few nice scares.

I try to reserve my overall thoughts on the houses until I have been through them a few times. The houses stand alone as artistic pieces for sure brought to life from the creative minds of the HHN artist and creators.

The performances by the Scare Actors bring the houses to life and they are phenomenal.

I would liken my take on the HHN houses and probably others who have attended HHN for years to a Sommelier. Over a few years of attending HHN and having seen some fantastic Houses you have developed a taste so to speak for the uniqueness of specific Houses. They each have their own flavor. Everyone’s take on the houses they like the best will not always be the same, but there is a flavor (house) that will speak to everyone.

Universal really hit it out of the park with the building of Halloween themed structures for the food items this year.

73CD719A-08B1-46F1-9B68-59ECCB3750F5.jpeg

C299C2A8-812F-44E6-95D5-FE37AE2526A6.jpeg
The lines for food were not long on this evening,

Universal gives a wonderful back story on all the Houses and Scare Zones

We rounded over the bridge near the water to head over to the “Conjure the Dark the Dark: Scare Zone. It was dark now and this Scare Zone was alive.

Back story on this Scare Zone is on the first All Hollows Eve a Evil Sorceress brings forth Monsters from the dark dimensions.

This is really like a mini theatrical production and the actress playing the Sorceress was very good.

2E8AFDE9-60C5-477B-8183-0D7499F454B4.jpeg
86BA7B6B-9FCD-4D2A-8F30-8D23BC986FA6.jpeg
145D885B-D86C-4473-8621-95B6D2C6F5BE.jpeg
FDF467CB-9367-4887-BB54-32357AD345F3.jpeg
09D55273-7BFB-4F7E-BFEA-6E93AA5873BD.jpeg
A0E1237E-A416-494B-BBBD-3474C0C2487E.jpeg

To be continued

Last edited:
I am loving your experience so far!
And how awesome are all your Halloween decorations?!
The Witch Tree is so gorgeous, your creativity is fantastic!

Thanks for bringing us with you on this trip, I am so excited to read along 🎃

Even though I'm late to the party, I am enjoying this TR:)
I wanted to mention that our small town was blessed with a Library by Andrew Carnegy and also a beautiful high school. Sadly, only the Library has survived. The old school was torn down and a new HS was built. They saved some of the stone work and made a nice archway on the HS grounds.

I am loving your experience so far!
And how awesome are all your Halloween decorations?!
The Witch Tree is so gorgeous, your creativity is fantastic!
Thank you Worfiedoodles it so good to have you along for the report.
I’am glad you are enjoying it.

Thank you for your kind comments on the Halloween decorations. I do love decorating for Halloween.

Thanks for bringing us with you on this trip, I am so excited to read along 🎃
You are very welcome.

Even though I'm late to the party, I am enjoying this TR:)
I wanted to mention that our small town was blessed with a Library by Andrew Carnegy and also a beautiful high school. Sadly, only the Library has survived. The old school was torn down and a new HS was built. They saved some of the stone work and made a nice archway on the HS grounds.

disneyseniors it so nice to have you along for the trip report. I’am glad you are enjoying it.

Those libraries were beautiful. Sadly a lot of them are disappearing with many towns not realizing the historical significance those buildings hold. Sadly the one in the town I lived in growing up was torn down too.

It’s nice to hear the school board did save some of the library and use it on the high school grounds.

Praying for all in the path of hurricane Ian.

Thursday, September 8th continued

After we walked through the “Conjure the Dark Scare Zone” we headed over to walk through the “Sweet Revenge Scare Zone”

The back story on the ”Sweet Revenge Scare Zone” is that the sweets from the Major Sweets Candy Company have turned the children who have consumed them into crazed killers.

It looks like a small town Halloween parade gone awry with floats and costumed killer children walking around.

762FD222-A7DE-49FA-8C50-66719FC2D4B8.jpeg
1000314A-48BB-43B8-B5D5-6751FD088DE8.jpeg
C98EA493-301D-4F18-BD31-66B9E0259869.jpeg

Then it was on to the Tribute Store.

BFF91F11-6AC0-470D-BE51-6BD851083A7C.jpeg

Universal has done a fantastic job with the Tribute Stores since starting them. They are set up in different rooms with different themes as you walk though.

ABE16281-41B1-4910-8657-24C92EBEAA40.jpeg

D427DBCE-55BC-40D6-B4D1-93AFBA4F4A75.jpeg

644D015C-0ED7-410C-8772-A627BC6CC249.jpeg

C4DF0D1B-E549-42A0-9CA4-C02FAC1F66ED.jpeg
FE684C55-C26C-401C-B330-B9820ECD6F27.jpeg

8F542778-07C8-4B37-81BE-BCBEDBC50D23.jpeg

Last edited:
B610BE4B-4148-4C97-848A-88639705F645.jpeg

1AB224B0-9689-4F00-818D-D5BEC761D955.jpeg

4AED21AC-097F-42F9-8893-4662FD4AD959.jpeg

A0E514D6-782D-4659-85BF-171E2EB26629.jpeg

Love that they included a poster for the Dead Coconut Club in CityWalk and the
Scarecrow Stalk.

4E3AA076-FDF4-42A2-B8A4-67EA746E78DA.jpeg

8B540548-06C3-4EF2-814C-6CB5AEF14647.jpeg

After the Tribute Store the next house we did was “Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake”

The back story on this house is it is set in a New England fishing town. A woman plays a magic violin and sings a Erie song to raise her beloved from the sea. In doing so she raises other dead seaman from the ocean and they emerge from the waves to seek their revenge.

Some folks who have attended HHN for a number of years will remember in 2016 there was a Deadman’s Wharf Scare Zone. Also last year there was a Deadman’s character in the “Lights, Camera, Hacktion: Eddie’s Revenge Scare Zone.

83CE9AA7-F3C1-4F86-A216-7A909886847F.jpeg

The House was visually stunning even in the dark. There were some nice scares, but I knew after walking into the last two rooms this was going to be for sure a stand out house for this year. I would come to appreciate that more after the UMH Tour the next day.

to be continued

7E62C99B-0013-49EE-B959-955EB14B93FD.gif

Last edited:
I'm late to the party!!!

Great trip report so far. That Dead Man's Pier house looks great...and I'm not a scary fan. It sounds like an interesting back story!

Fantastic pictures. I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

I'm late to the party!!!
So good to have you along for the trip report Pumpkin.

Great trip report so far. That Dead Man's Pier house looks great...and I'm not a scary fan. It sounds like an interesting back story!

Fantastic pictures. I can't wait to hear more about your trip.
Thank for your kind words.

Yes, Dead Man’s Pier is a very beautifully well thought out House. As far as design and story go it continues to be a stand out house for me this year.

Thursday, September 8th continued

We did a little people watching in the Sweet Revenge Scare Zone. It is always so fun to see how people react to the Scare Actors.

Then it was on to the last house for the night “Spirits of the Coven”.

The back story on this house is there is a group of Witches that run a 1920’s speakeasy. As you walk through the house they eventually reveal their true form (wrinkled, evil, and disfigured) And they want to turn you into witches brew.

I did not get any scares in this house. I probably wouldn’t have noticed if there had been a scare as I was to busy trying to take everything in I could in this house. I would walk through another time.

I wanted to touch on the lines that go through the houses. The lines are long on busy nights, It would be pretty impossible to send small groups into the houses then wait and send another group in to accommadate seeing everything, getting every scare or spending as much time as you want in each house. It’s just logistically not possible. There are just to many people in line waiting to get in. There are sold out nights at HHN and some nights are just busier then others.

There are options to buy EP for the night or buy HHN passes with EP or taking a private RIP Tour or Public RIP Tour. These options all help a lot, but I know they are not in everyones budget.

I think Universal has been listening to what people have to say about their past experiences at HHN and as a result I did not feel at all like I was being rushed in any way through the houses this year.

Not that I typically move very quickly anyway. You could throw some Zombie makeup on me and I would fit in pretty nicely over in the Graveyard: Deadly Unrest Scare Zone…..LOL

We then walked through the ”Horrors of Halloween Scare Zone. The back story on this scare zone is the Pumpkin Lord who is the Spirit of Halloween has taken over this years event summoning hordes of creatures and terror has taken root.

The Pumpkin Lord himself the Icon for this years HHN 31
2E3F9AB7-59A2-49EC-B04A-48A7569C98CF.jpeg

There is a back story literally on the Pumpkin Lord and a little carved Pumpkin named ”Lil Boo”.

Last year there was a stand out Universal original house that was fantastic. It was called “The Wicked Growth: Realm of the Pumpkin”. This is where the Pumpkin Lord and Lil Boo were born.

I have some photos of the “Wicked Growth“ house last year.

A8193B15-B516-4147-B784-E0F4B7836AAA.jpeg

There is Lil Boo the small round eyed little carved Pumpkin that became the darling of the internet. I hoped they have given a nice bonus to whoever carved that little Pumpkin. 3219EB9C-5E69-4BBF-A2D6-2DA5BEE98AB3.jpeg

A1D66FB3-8A28-4897-A229-1F0A70BB1891.jpeg

F5E53EA3-8D81-4FF1-8D51-17E032838333.jpeg

CD7C5CF0-5CC7-49D6-86AA-09EAF9DAD4C8.jpeg

DA067E04-D7BE-4B0E-A75D-A90BDDDAD43D.jpeg

F7F8C8C6-C2B7-4E08-B1DA-3BD9E8E8981B.jpeg

7C5EAF68-4C5F-46EC-84E6-24A86367DEEA.jpeg

It was a great house with a great story line that was easily followed.

Here is the back story to the house. An evil rot had taken root in the land and it was time once again for the rise of the Pumpkin Lord who grows Halloween like a malignant vine. His minions scoured the countryside looking for unwilling sacrifices in order To summon the Pumpkin Lord. As the sacrifices grow leading up to Halloween the stronger the Pumpkin Lord becomes.

I remember as I walked through this house I could follow the story line of entering the pumpkin realm of people who had been sacrificed to the Pumpkin Lord. The Pumpkin Lord’s roots were growing stronger invading everything. As you walked deeper into the house there was SIF (stuff in face as they call it in haunted houses) that resembled the stringy Pumpkin guts you get into when cleaning out a fresh pumpkin. The various rooms in the house were awesome. As the house comes to an end you meet the Pumpkin Lord.

I went through this house on the Unmasking The Horror daylight tour and seeing this house in the daylight was awesome. That is when these photos were taken.

The Scare Actor that was portraying the Pumpkin Lord was awesome. It was fun to watch him interacting with the crowed.

We went into the store on the way out and there was a lot of HHN merchandise to look at.

That is when I started noticing all the Lil Boo merchandise that seemed to grow over the 10 days were we’re there.

A lot of the signs were very Halloween nostalgic designs.
1D4C63D0-F0A6-479B-9E2D-C9292708C107.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m going to be honest, I think I might like the Tribute Store most of all 🥰

Everything is so detailed, you can tell it takes a year to design and put this all together. It’s next level for sure!

I’m especially loving the photos, it’s all coming alive (intentional pun 🤣) for me 👏🏽

I think I 🎃🎃🎃 Lil Boo! What a creative story.
I’m glad you were able to do the Unmasking Tour!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter