Monorail down today

BEACHCLUBVILLAS

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know why? Long boat lines to magic kingdom right now.

Edited: Back in service. Phew!

Last edited:
I doubt it is poor maintenance, as much as it is just age. The original trains were replaced after 18 years. The current trains are 28 years old. Time for new ones.

The Monorail is under refurbishment for much of May. Let's hope that these efforts played a role in the delay.

It's never ending. I think it will just continue to get worse. And if it does get worse and worse, I think it might really devalue the monorail resorts.

It's never ending. I think it will just continue to get worse. And if it does get worse and worse, I think it might really devalue the monorail resorts.

As long as they don't do anything to mess up the walk to MK from BLT I'll be good. Lol

Good point!

That said, we did get stung on our last trip in March with the monorail being down. We had a Ohana ressie and gave ourselves an hour to get to the Poly from BLT. We were late because buses didn't come nearly frequently enough. Naturally, by the time our bus did get us there we were meeting the monorail that had since begun working again. That could get old fast.

I have read that Disney could have this work done at night, but doesn't want to pay out the money for 3rd shift work. But I'm not sure if that is the case or not.

Disney finally decided to improve the safety and automation systems on the monorail system. This requires work on all of the beams and cars and once completed, should improve dispatch times and allow additional trains to be added to the system.

:earsboy: Bill

Disney finally decided to improve the safety and automation systems on the monorail system. This requires work on all of the beams and cars and once completed, should improve dispatch times and allow additional trains to be added to the system.

That will be awesome once complete if it goes as it sounds. We do love the monorail and hate that it is getting a bad rap with the troubles it has been having. Hopefully this will return it to its full glory once again. :)

I doubt it is poor maintenance, as much as it is just age. The original trains were replaced after 18 years. The current trains are 28 years old. Time for new ones.

Where I work failure to replace old worn out equipment would be considered a maintenance failure. Keeping the thing in working order is maintenance, that includes replacing as needed not waiting until it breaks down constantly to address the issue.

I personally don't see any "value" in having a monorail resort as the transportation options often are worse then at a Disney value hotel.

Fortunately at the Polynesian, one can take the big ferry boat from the Ticket and Transportation Center to the MK and back.

Over the last year and a half, we have just opted to not use the monorail anymore. It does seem that it is down more then it is up. I can't tell you how many times we have been on the monorail at poly, the ttc or MK and have the doors shut and you here the air pistons release again, which is followed by the announcement that they are experiencing technical difficulties. From the Poly it is easier to walk to the TTC. from the TTC it is easier to take the ferry then chance a monorail. From the grand, take the ferry.

We were on the monorail two weeks ago and the new system had to be rebooted 3 times. Automating a one of a kind system always has bugs that need to be worked out. Once they automate and have safety interlocks that make the system idiot proof.. it would be nice if they let select passengers ride in the lead car again

We were on the monorail two weeks ago and the new system had to be rebooted 3 times. Automating a one of a kind system always has bugs that need to be worked out. Once they automate and have safety interlocks that make the system idiot proof.. it would be nice if they let select passengers ride in the lead car again
I'm not sure I'd say they were trying to automate a one of a kind system. There are several automated trains already out there, in airport terminals around the globe. The systems are readily available. As far as software is concerned, a train is a train, whether on conventional rails or elevated on a single track.

The lead car would be a great perk, based upon availability, for concierge guests, DVC and annual pass holders.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd say they were trying to automate a one of a kind system. There are several automated trains already out there, in airport terminals around the globe. The systems are readily available. As far as software is concerned, a train is a train, whether on conventional rails or elevated on a single track.

The lead car would be a great perk, based upon availability, for concierge guests, DVC and annual pass holders.

Direct DVC only. Sorry, couldn't resist...

When ever you retrofit new technology on an old manual controlled system, your going to have bugs. What makes it really challenging, it has to be done in segments so you keep the system operational so it can be used during process.

If Disney replaced the monorail with a completely new cars and control system, the majority of issues can be solved before installation. I think Las Vegas has a small monorail route identical to Disneys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter