Moms of boys - please help! (Updated post #144)

Well, OP, I was all warm and comfy in bed in "reading mode", but had to sit up again, in the cold, to write this reply :laughing: as it's an issue that's very close to my heart, like it is for so many others here on this thread.

I am very fortunate to have both a son and a daughter - twins. But throughout my life I always imagined myself with just one girl. Her name even came to me suddenly one day when I was 16 years old and standing in the middle of a street, lol. As I got older, boys kind of scared me, too. A couple of different times I saw them throwing rocks at chickens in Aruba, and birds on the beach at home, and things like that, and I thought, yeah, I can do without that thank you very much.

So somehow I just assumed I'd have a girl someday but never really gave it a ton of thought. Until the day that I was pregnant and going for the first ultrasound where we'd find out what we were having. Well that day they could only see the genetalia of one baby but not the other, and lo and behold I saw a big ol scrotum on the monitor! Whoa, stop the presses! I'm having a BOY?? OMG! My knees literally knocked the whole way home. Then afterward I convinced myself the second was probably a boy, too! What would I do with two boys?? :scared1: :lmao:

A few weeks later we had another ultrasound and I could barely contain my excitement to see what the other baby was. But I noticed a little "concern" in the room between the tech and the radiologist. So when the radiologist came over to talk to us, I asked her what Baby A was. Her reply was brief and terse: "Baby A is a girl but there is a problem with Baby B". My heart just about sank to learn that my little boy that I was so scared of having had some of the markers for Down Syndrome.

When we left, DH tried to cheer me up by saying let's go look at some girl's clothes, but that was about the last thing I wanted to do. Instead I headed down to the bookstore at Harvard Medical School and started reading some radiology textbooks to try to figure out more of what was going on. All of a sudden I didn't care about boys and girls, I just cared about the health of my babies! To take it even further, I was offered further chromosomal testing and the option of abortion but was warned that if we aborted, I could lose both babies. Good grief! How naive I was to only be worried about gender initially! Needless to say, I continued the pregnancy but worried for the remainder about my little boy - every single day. And I was so relieved when he was born that he was perfectly healthy. (Although I had accepted the idea by then and knew we absolutely would've worked it out if he had had Down Syndrome.)

I did have a very complicated delivery and was half out of it for the first 24 hrs or so after their birth. I remember opening one eye and seeing the nurses teaching my husband how to care for the babies. I did get to hold them, but only briefly. Much more to that story, but fast forward to the next morning. I fed my son, and sort of awkwardly went to burp him. When I put him on my shoulder, he snuggled into my neck and it was like this feeling of utter warmth and love just came over me all of a sudden. I fell completely in love with him in that moment; it was one of the most profound things in my life, ever! :lovestruc I actually did wonder why I ever worried about it in the first place too!

I also figured out as he was growing up that parents really do play a big part in shaping behavior, so throwing rocks at animals was never something I had to worry about with DS as he was always a big softie for any animal; in fact, we tease him because the uglier an animal is, the better with him, lol. And he was just an all around good kid who of course had his moments, but was basically a pleasure to raise, and we're really proud of the young man he's become. (20 now.) I don't get to spend a lot of time with him too much anymore as he is very busy in his life stage, but we went to dinner and a movie as a family last weekend and we had a lot of fun, DS and I were racing up the stairs together laughing, and he walked beside me all the way out to the car as we were leaving, talking, joking, etc., all moments I still cherish. He makes a point of spending as much time with my mother as he can as she's 92 and I love that he does that. He'll go in and have breakfast with her sometimes or watch a ball game or movie with her, etc.

One special moment with him I'll never forget: When he was six years old I had cancer and lost all my hair. I'd explained to my kids that I would be bald, but have a wig, and we were all a little anxious about it. So the day I had my head shaved and came home with a wig on, DS came over to me. He asked me to take my wig off. I shied away at first and was like we'll do it later, etc., but he was really curious, so I finally took it off. With no hesitation and without even blinking an eye, he said, simply, "You look beautiful, Mom". Six years old. :sad: Little boys do love their moms.

OP it is all going to work out and once you meet your little boy you, too, will wonder why you ever worried. But in the meantime it is completely understandable why you might have these feelings. Don't worry about it. I really think that when we're pregnant we worry about certain things but those generally turn out to be the things that we really didn't have to worry about. Maybe it's our mind's way of focusing on something "small" other than bigger worries like work and finances and how we're going to manage it all, etc. Like Mother Nature's way of preparing us for what lies ahead, while protecting us and protecting the baby at the same time. I'm glad you reached out and am also glad you're getting so many great responses. Hang in there. :hug:

Edited to break into paragraphs

Last edited:
I’ll start by saying welcome to parenthood- there are all kinds of emotions that you’ll have, some that seem “wrong”, but they are all valid and parenting will continue to bring out surprising feelings. I think you’d feel better if you talked to your husband. It doesn’t have to be dramatic but just hey I’m disappointed and trying to work through feelings. There have been so many times I’ve shared thoughts with my husband that I didn’t feel I could say out loud and it really does help to get it out there.

My first is a boy and he was an only child for 9 years. We are incredibly close- honestly a little closer than he is with my husband. Short of manicures and tea parties there has been nothing I felt we missed out on. Every child is going to be different and is going to present amazing joy and surprising challenges. I will add that I was never able to picture of imagine life with my son (whether it was as a baby, picturing him as a teen, adult, etc) but I do t think that’s necessarily a bad thing.

You really aren’t being ridiculous, but I do think these feelings will get better.

I completely understand! My kids are six years apart and my oldest is a girl. When I found out we were having a boy, I cried. I had no clue how to handle boys! I didn't know how to dress them, nothing!

My oldest is a girl and youngest is a boy. while I didn't cry, I was nervous about having a boy. I think I would have been perfectly happy with 2 girls but that absolutely does not detract from how much I love my little boy. No, we don't connect in the same way I do with his sister and now that he is on his teens, we don't have too many common interests anymore... but he is still Mama's boy and at almost 15, still likes to cuddle with me. Then again, so does my DD16.

Anyway, regardless of my ambivalent feelings about boys, I still love my son to bits and always have and always will. That's just a simple fact of being his mother and nothing can change that.

Welcome to the crazy rollercoaster ride of parenthood!

Just thought I'd share a photo of me getting a pedicure with my little guy. He's not little enough to do this anymore!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1512017528572.jpg
    FB_IMG_1512017528572.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 29
My MIL has been invited to do all the same things as my mom. She picked out and purchased my veil, helped in the wedding planning, stayed with me after each of my children were born, etc. I am just as close with her as my own mother and share with her about many personal things with the kids. She has two other adult children, but my DH is the only one who got married and had children. You will be a great MIL someday!
That's nice! I have a friends who have only boys. One friend would have DD and another girl over a lot to bake cookies and do girly things with us when we were in a group. Another friend asked to come over for prom night to take part in DD getting ready and all that, which I'd never thought of but was a great idea. There's lots of ways you can still do things with girls if you (general you) want to. Actually, now that I think of it, I myself spent a lot of time on vacations over my aunt's house, who just had one son. I also went along with them sometimes to amusement parks and such when her son and I were young. She always bought her youngest nieces (of which I was one) dolls for Christmas, and my uncle taught me how to plant flowers and things like that.

I have 3 boys and a girl (#3 is a girl).

I always wanted girls and never pictured myself having boys. And I was beyond thrilled when I found out #3 was a girl.

But I can assure you, boys are absolutely AWESOME!!! If I had it to do over, I wouldn’t change a thing. I love them to pieces. I am equally close to my sons as I am my daughter.

I can tell you that feelings you have in pregnancy can and probably will change once you meet your precious son. I had a weird pregnancy with my second son and felt ambivalent the whole pregnancy and never really felt bonded with him. But the second he was born, I am certain I had hearts floating above my head. I was in love! And hopefully it will be the same with you as well!

Boy mom here! I have two boys and one girl - my kids are still little so this is pretty recent for me, but I had the EXACT same feelings with my first. We had had all girls in my family and I just assumed I would have a girl. I wanted to buy all the girl things and do all the girl stuff, so I was disappointed when we found out it was a boy.

I am so, so, SO happy I have my boys. I ADORE them. They are very different from each other, but each just the sweetest, most lovable kids ever. This is ridiculous and immature, but one of my fears was that a boy wouldn't be as "cute" as a girl. Nope. Totally unfounded fear. Naturally I think my boys are the most cutest, adorable humans on this planet now. My boys are only 5 and 3, but I have enjoyed the heck out of being their mom. (Love being a girl mom also!)

Your feelings are normal and ok. Also, don't feel bad if the love doesn't hit you immediately after birth. It's different for every mother. It was pretty immediate after my first, but it took me a long time after my twins birth. You aren't a bad mom for feeling this way, and you aren't a bad mom if it takes some time of caring for your son every day for that unconditional love to kick in. But it WILL happen and you will love him immensely and be so glad you have a boy - I promise!
To the bolded, just want to say I completely agree! Even though I had that "falling in love" thing that happened with my son right away, surprisingly enough, it didn't happen that way with my daughter. With her it was more a gradual thing. Go figure!

Also wanted to add...

My sister was desperate for a girl. When she found out #2 was a boy also, she literally cried on the ultrasound table.

He ended up being born with a severe birth defect and has suffered what will be lifelong medical issues because of it. I can assure you if my sister could go back and make a choice, HEALTHY would be at the very top of the list.

OP, you have a precious healthy child and that truly is a wonderful gift!

Most likely he'll get married (eventually), which will give you a daughter.

My niece has three daughters, no sons, and when the oldest DD married, the mother-of-the-bride's first comment to the groom was, "Now I have a son."

I have two boys. I admit to a moment of disappointment with each. I only had a moment since I didn't know the gender before birth and that disappointment went away the minute I held my babies. I don't know why I always pictured myself with girls. I wouldn't change a thing now.

I totally understand your feelings. I had a girl first and was taken aback when I found out my second was a boy! My husband has four brothers and I have two brothers so we know how crazy boys can be!! However, my son has been a joy from day one. There is a special bond between mom and son. I am very close to my now 18 year old son and he is very protective of me and it is so cute! He even does things like open the car door for me, holding the door for me etc.❤️❤️ Also, take another look at those boy clothes at Old Navy and Baby Gap, they are adorable!! Overall, boys are much easier to raise than girls-no moodiness or friend drama. Even my daughter thinks boys are way easier than girls haha!! Glad you are getting support from the Dis!

Haven't read all the responses so I may be repeating everything you've read.

We don't have many boys in our family so I never had a lot of experience with them. I'm an only child myself and had a very close mother/daughter relationship with my mom. When I was pregnant the first time, I just really dreamed of having a girl. It was all I knew. I did find out I was having a girl and I was THRILLED. Four years later, I had a surprise pregnancy for my second. Sonogram came back having a boy and, let me tell you, I was really thrown. I didn't know how to even imagine parenting a boy. To be honest, I was a little down about it (not major, just more perplexed really).

But he was born and he was just a baby. And he was wonderful. My son is now 22 years old and I *love* having a son. I love the relationship between mother and son. It's probably the first glimpse I ever got in life to the vulnerabilities of boys/men that you don't see when you're just dealing with the 'finished product.' :)

Mom of two, a girl and a boy. I also "just thought" I'd have girls. I grew up in a heavily female household: mom, dad, four girls and grandma (even the dog was a girl). I was never into sports or any "guy" things. So, of course, I pictured my babies as little girls with tea sets and dolls and nail polish. lol. I didn't know any different. I dreamed about what I knew.
I wasn't upset when I had my boy, but I was certainly surprised, and there was a moment of "What do I do with a boy?" lol.

But, you know, when they are little, there's really no difference between boys and girls. You hug them, and kiss them, and rock them, and love them just the same. You will help a son pretend to cook just like you will help a daughter kick a ball. The changes that make each child an individual, and possibly have likes and dislikes different than you, happen so gradually you have plenty time to adjust. You could have a daughter who prefers sports to shopping or a boy with zero interest in athletics or hunting.

And, just like we learned through our lives with our peers, sometimes people introduce you to something you knew nothing about and you end up enjoying it too (I have a lot of fond memories of those chilly football games, I'm going to miss it now that senior year has ended.) You will evolve, I promise. And you will create a bond that's all your own with every child you have, boy or girl.

Maybe if we stopped forcing gender stereotypes, then people would be happy just having a healthy baby?

In the tween years you will be happy you have a boy. trust me. LOL! Hang in there op, it will be fine. Boys are awesome. There is a very special relationship between a mother and son. You will see.

All my life I wanted to have little boys. From the time I was in middle school, I only had boy names picked out. My sister had two girls and I so wanted to be the one to have the first boy. I had my life planned for boys. Nope. Girls. All three of my kids are girls. My youngest was a surprise and everyone knew that she was the boy. Again, nope. You adapt and move on. Now, I can't even imagine what it would have been like with boys.
I have a friend that had two boys and she never was a boy type of person. Her boys did all the boy stuff with their dad. In spite of all the "man things" her husband did with the boys she still had a great, close relationship with her boys.
You will be fine with your little one and he will be fine with you :) Start to look for things for little boys that you can get excited about. Peruse Pinterest. Start looking at ways to set up a boys nursery. Don't worry about what you will do when he is a kid and doing things with his dad. Start thinking about all the wonderful things YOU will be doing with him as a baby. The rest will follow :) Good luck and have fun with him!!!

I have 2 boys. They are 7 and 9. I know more about Star Wars and baseball than I ever did before, lol. Your feelings now are based on a projection of what a daughter could be, not who she might really be. My BFFs 9 years old daughter is not a girly girl at all - there' no princess stuff or nails being painted. It's star wars and soccer for her. She is my son's best frisnd and they like the same stuff. So, you never know who your kid will be anyway. My youngest son is the sweetest most amazing person. He's so loving and snuggly and I wouldn't trade him for any girl in the world. My oldest son is very athletic and a guys' guy, he's the "don't hug me in front of my friends" type...but he loves shopping for clothes with me and tries on 3 outfits every morning before he decides what he wants to wear. He's a snuggler when he wants to be too. I will add that my 7 year old is like an old soul and he did say me one time when we saw a preview for a more feminine cartoon "Are you sad you don't have anyone to watch girl shows with you, mommy?" It was such a sweet little thought he had for me out of nowhere....and the answer is no, I'm not sad about that bc I like Star Wars now hahaha.

It's hard now bc you haven't met your baby yet. I bet if you check in again with this post when he is 6 months and you are in a routine and starting to see glimpses of his personality that you will feel differently.

Last edited:
Another thought. Dd is almost 16 and is so well rounded. She'll wear a dress on special occasions, but she's not into the frilly girl stuff.

Her favorite color is turquoise. No pink here.

I joke that after 3 boys, dh finally got his athlete. She's a high school volleyball player and goal keeper for 2 teams. Gets a new bruise everyday. No manicure/peducure/shopping for fashion stuff here.

Her best friends are very smart and geeky and mostly boys.

But I love all that about her.

So even a girl may not be exactly as you think. And that's okay, too. I wouldn't change dd at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter