Mom diagnosed with ovarian cancer...insurance question.

slg

DIS Veteran
I have a cruise booked in Dec. with final payment due in October. I bought insurance through airmiles to cover my flight before I found out about my mom.

However, now that I know about her condition can I still get insurance to cover my cruise when I make my final payment? If she is on death's door, or dies while I'm on the trip, I would need to either cancel or come home. Would we still be covered? I'm pretty unsure what to do.

Considering cancelling the cruise and just doing WDW, but would love to keep the cruise if we could get insurance.

Any advice is appreciated.

Best to talk to DCL about that directly. You don't need to tell them you've booked, but say you're looking at cruising, but should you considering your mom. See what they say and gauge your response from that.

Hmm. Check through the fine print of the insurance packages, but in the ones I've read, I don't ever see a pre-existing condition clause which would apply to the death or hospitalization of a non-travelling family member.

Are you sure the insurance you booked for your flights would not cover you during your cruise? Generally speaking, most travel insurance packages i've seen in Canada cover you for all travel you make from the day of your departing flight to the day of your returning flight, regardless of where the insurance was purchased (although the only issue which can arise is that it may not have enough coverage to cover the cost of the rest of your trip). I'd get in touch with that insurance company and verify that too.

Don't know about insurance. So sorry about your mom. She was just diagnosed? Maybe you should wait and see what she needs to be done- surgery? Chemo? What the doctors think? I'm sure you'd want to be with her, esp if she only has a short time. So I'd prob. cancel the trip & re-book later. :grouphug:

Your air is covered but any insurance purchased now to protect the cruise would not cover a pre existing illness which sadly this now is.

Another reason it pays to buy trip insurance at time of booking ...

I am sorry to hear about this. HUGS! I hope things turn around soon.

I would call about that. Usually when you buy trip insurance, the medical portion is about YOUR pre-existing health conditions. They will generally cover your flight home when someone at home is ill/terminal or acutely becomes ill.

My aunt was faced with a similar situation. My grandmother was palliative (terminal) and had a cruise booked. Decided to go knowing my grandmother could pass at any point. If something were to happen, she would be covered. Even though the person here was already sick.

If YOU had a pre-existing condition, you may have a hard time getting insurance. But you don't.....well, it's not the point of the question. The point of getting insurance is if someone becomes ill/becomes terminal/or passes from an illness....your trip is covered. No matter if they have a pre-existing condition. I have never had to tell my insurance company if other family members have pre-existing conditions.

And this all coming from my uncle who sells insurance for cruises. He owns and runs a business.

Call. Tell them your dilemna. Get the definitive answers to put your mind at ease at what to do.

I'm very sorry about your mom.....thoughts to you and your family.

Jennifer;

Thank you for your advice. I looked at the insurance I have now, and it doesn't say anything about pre-exisiting conditions for anyone except me and my travelling companions. However, I'm still nervous about that point and will call the insurance once I get a prognosis. The oncologist should be calling me tomorrow. Perhaps if she says my mom has two years or one year, then I should book and pay the cruise now and if she starts getting worse, it becomes something that happens afterwards.

I was just planning on using my BMO mastercard insurance which is with mondial. I pay a yearly fee and it covers all trips up to $5000. The cruise is $3000 and I got the flights on airmiles (+purchasing them through airmiles) so I also purchased their insurance.

I find this very stressful. When my mom had breast cancer last time, I called my TA and asked her about it and she said that if I went on a trip KNOWING my mom had cancer, then they wouldn't cover me for a return trip if something went wrong while I was away.

I'm more concerned about having to cancel before I go.

I appreciate your thoughts. Do you know what insurance company your aunt used?

My aunt I believe used RBC insurance. Which is also the company that my uncle uses for his cruise company.

But you could also call around to other companies, CAA travel is also good. It's who I usually use. Or even call the Mastercard insurance.

I hope you get the answers you need, to be able to make the decision that's right for you.

Thinking of you

Thanks for the advice. My mom has stage 4 ovarian cancer and has had her first chemo treatment today. The oncologist said we could expect her to live a year or so. We'll see how she is in the fall.

I will call some insurance in September before my final payment date and get all the information if we feel that she will be well enough for us to go in December.

Course with my granny being 93, anything can happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!