Mom and daughter long weekend at SSR

k-wa

Mouseketeer
We just got back Monday morning, arrived late Thursday night for a mother (59) and daughter (30) quick bonding trip. Because it was just the two of us (and a short trip) we decided to forego a car and use Magical Express. We got to SSR around 10 p.m. All the rooms in Congress Park and the Springs were gone, so we were assigned a room in Paddock.

Pros: Very close to the pleasant quiet pool/laundry facility and bus stop
Extremely clean, cute towel animal waiting for us, plenty of towels
Comfortable bed, comfortable pullout couch

Cons: Quite a hike to Artist's Palette. I didn't mind, but my mom found it a bit difficult.
They assigned us a handicapped accessible room (this happened during our fall trip to BCV as well) This means the microwave is placed low and the shower water runs into the rest of the bathroom. Since we didn't need the accessibility we really didn't want it. (I guess it doesn't hurt to ask the front desk at check-in what exactly you are being assigned.)

My thoughts: I stayed in a two-bedroom in Congress Park last year with my friends. We had a car. We had a view of Downtown Disney. Life was good.
IMHO, SSR is the kind of resort that a car for grocery shopping makes a world of difference. It also could use an Artist Palette-type take out spot in each of the resort's three sections.

On this weekend trip, we used the buses to get us everywhere. We found the bus service lengthy but reliable. We even took a bus (via Downtown Disney) to get to Jiko for dinner one night. We also used it to get back to SSR from dinner at Kona Cafe another night.

All in all, I am very happy my parents (BCV owners) added on points at SSR, but we will definitely rent a car next trip. :)

Thanks for sharing about your trip - it sounds like it was a nice one! I have been hearing a lot about Kona lately. Did you enjoy it?

Kind of ironic that you had a room that had accessibility that you didn't need and yet was a farther walk than your mother could comfortably manage. Hope you get a location you like better next time.

We have made a tradition to have dinner at Kona then watch Wishes from the beach at the Polynesian. It is an evening I always look forward to. I love the macademia mahi mahi. It's really good. They tout their desserts, but my apple brown betty seemed mass produced this time.
The meal at Jiko was outstanding, as usual.

I agree, the room assignment, was a bit ironic. (My mom has bad knees.)

Sounds like a wonderful mother daughter trip. Nothing like making memories. We love Kona too.

Thanks for the report. :sunny:

Wow, I was there around the same time as you -- staying at the Paddock as well. I think SSR is a beautiful resort. I agree that a car would certainly come in handy, as the bus trips can take a long time. We did the same sort of thing you did for dinner at the Boardwalk-- we went to Downtown Disney and hopped on a bus from there. I'm glad to had a nice time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter