Modifying lock-off to 1 bedroom

FinnFogg

Mouseketeer
I will be booking our annual Xmas trip at the 11 month mark in a few days. We typically book a 1 bedroom for our (young) family of 5. My parents are on the fence about joining us (80% no, 20% yes). I would like to keep the optionality open for them, but also don’t want to fork out unnecessary points for a two bedroom during high season if they eventually decide not to come. As this will be a busy season, I expect that our view category will be gone shortly after the 11month mark.

It occurred to me that perhaps if we booked a 2 bedroom lock-off instead of a dedicated 2 bedroom, perhaps we would be able to modify it down the road to a 1 bedroom as we would already have that “piece” set aside. For example, when I go online to modify (shorten) an existing booking in a category that is no longer available, my room always shows as available for the window as I already have it set aside. Curious what the options would be if I went in to “modify” a lock-off 2 bedroom for the existing window. Would it show the lock-off 2 bedroom, a 1 bedroom and a studio as being available? If you have any experience with this, I’d love to hear from you.

If you have it reserved as a 2 bedroom lock off, it will show that way when modifying and will only show the 1 bedroom and studio being available if it still is,

For years, we have been told that you can not modify and drop one part and in most instances, MS is pretty consistent in this. However, a few people have reported getting luck with a call to MS and being allowed to adjust it and keep only one part. I consider that some pixie dust and not a policy to count on.

I was successful in doing this a few years back when our friend took a better vacation offer. I agree that it can’t be counted on tho.

You'd be better off reserving both a one bedroom and a studio and request they be close to each other. Then if you don't need the studio, you just drop that. And that will use more points than booking the two bedroom.

You'd be better off reserving both a one bedroom and a studio and request they be close to each other. Then if you don't need the studio, you just drop that. And that will use more points than booking the two bedroom.
That ^^ is what I would do. I'd consider the extra points as the cost of "insurance" for my parents to be "on the fence". I would probably also add one of them to the one bedroom reservation (capacity permitting) so that they could get a key card to join us in the living area for meals & to hang out.

Good luck!

I agree with the idea of getting both units and dropping one, but a few years ago we had the dedicated 2 bd and were able to drop the studio side. Call MS when you make the reservation and see what they say.

Last edited:
I agree with the idea of getting both units and dropping one, but a few years ago we had the dedicated 2 bd and were able to drop the studio side. Call MS when you make the reservation and see what they say.

You must have had a lock off because you can’t drop part of a dedicated 2 bedroom. If they did, that was a big no no and you definitely got lucky.

You must have had a lock off because you can’t drop part of a dedicated 2 bedroom. If they did, that was a big no no and you definitely got lucky.
It was a lock off. We were able to drop the last part of the week. Maybe when I booked it with member services she booked it as two separate units and I didn´t know it.

It was a lock off. We were able to drop the last part of the week. Maybe when I booked it with member services she booked it as two separate units and I didn´t know it.

The 2 bedroom lock off is what is the studio and 1 bedroom where a dedicated 2 bedroom is actually a 2 bedroom.

Just wanted it clarified for others! I am sure it was booked as a 2 bedroom lock off and you get the pixie dust when it was allowed!

Just to clarify (for those who may not know), this is generally not allowed. When you book a 2BR, you are booking a 2BR. If you waited until the "last minute" and decided that you would rather only have a studio or a 1BR and you are then allowed to "drop" a portion of your 2BR because it was booked as a lock-off, you have effectively cut in line in front of everyone on the waitlist that wanted a 1BR or a studio in the first place. You cannot simply take the points for a 2BR and use it to secure the option of a studio, 1BR or a 2BR and decide at a later point which size room you will want to use. I get it...it shouldn't be a big deal to just drop the studio and keep the 1BR (or vice versa) and let the waitlist pick up what you dropped, but you still would be cutting to the front of the line for the person who wanted that 1BR (or studio) in the first place when you opted to book a 2BR. (Just to be clear, I am not directing this at anyone in particular..."you" is being used generically). Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

Just to clarify (for those who may not know), this is generally not allowed. When you book a 2BR, you are booking a 2BR. If you waited until the "last minute" and decided that you would rather only have a studio or a 1BR and you are then allowed to "drop" a portion of your 2BR because it was booked as a lock-off, you have effectively cut in line in front of everyone on the waitlist that wanted a 1BR or a studio in the first place. You cannot simply take the points for a 2BR and use it to secure the option of a studio, 1BR or a 2BR and decide at a later point which size room you will want to use. I get it...it shouldn't be a big deal to just drop the studio and keep the 1BR (or vice versa) and let the waitlist pick up what you dropped, but you still would be cutting to the front of the line for the person who wanted that 1BR (or studio) in the first place when you opted to book a 2BR. (Just to be clear, I am not directing this at anyone in particular..."you" is being used generically). Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

Perfect sense and I’d say 99% of the time, the CMs at MS will not do it for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Agree with everyone else, generally not allowed, but I have also called MS in the past and "dropped" the studio part, which they told me was releasing the entire 2BR lockout and then immediately trying to book the 1BR before it gets picked up by a WL. If 1BR are showing as available you could probably modify it online, but you won't be able to do that if the 1BR room category is showing fully booked as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter