Mobility Scooter accessories question

I have had my rollator, happily, for about 6 years and I've loved it but I am upgrading to a scooter (Victory 10). I am a FL resident and the sun beats down on that black vinyl and singes my thighs and butt like no tomorrow. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells seat covers (cloth preferably) in a light color. Also, anyone know of a good attachment for a cane? Should I just get the combo satchel for inside the front tiller that has the side cup holders and place for phone or is there a better option? Last question: Do you have an umbrella clamp or do you use a poncho when it rains? I don't care if I get wet, but the manual discourages allowing the scooter to get wet. TYIA

I have had my rollator, happily, for about 6 years and I've loved it but I am upgrading to a scooter (Victory 10). I am a FL resident and the sun beats down on that black vinyl and singes my thighs and butt like no tomorrow. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells seat covers (cloth preferably) in a light color. Also, anyone know of a good attachment for a cane? Should I just get the combo satchel for inside the front tiller that has the side cup holders and place for phone or is there a better option? Last question: Do you have an umbrella clamp or do you use a poncho when it rains? I don't care if I get wet, but the manual discourages allowing the scooter to get wet. TYIA
I would suggest calling Gold Mobility, they sell off their old equipment every 6 months after fully refurbishing them and replacing the batteries at a highly discounted rate. They will also sell new if you prefer and you can get their accessories.

If you already have your new scooter, still call them, they can help you with the accessories, the new cup holder they are using is great, they have a great cell phone holder and fan. Also, they can add the undercarriage lighting as well. I am not sure what the current price for the package is, it I think it is reasonable. They can also add the reflective stickers if you would like. They can also sell you a cane holder that works well. I do not recommend their sun shade, still trying to figure out a good solar shade in umbrella attachment.

As for the seat cover, If you got the captains chair, I would look at smaller universal car seat covers, that should do the trick. Again though, Gold Mobility may be able to help. If neither of those work, there is a group on Facebook called Ears for Each Other that has CMs that are still laid off or some ended up starting their own business and aren't going back, etc. And some may be able to make something custom, even Disney themed at a reasonable price.

As to the rain, unless it is really bad rain, just cover the tiller with a shower cap and you will be fine. This is what they recommend for their rentals. If it is really bad rain, try to find cover for a bit. Basically, what you don't want to get wet are the USB port and charge port or the tiller and controls. Usually your body does a pretty good job at protecting the ports and the shower cap protects the tiller well.

Also, there are safety mechanisms built in, so if things do get wet that shouldn't, the scooter won't operate until completely dried out, but likely won't be permanently harmed.

Hopefully that is helpful.

I should also state that DH has added a second cup holder to what Gold Mobility out on the one he bought from them fr HandleStash https://handlestash.com/ they are meant for bikes, but work great on the scooter, especially over the cobblestones, etc. That occur at the theme parks, he tends to use both of those and the built in one (on the 10.2) gets used for regular sized drinks.

Last edited:

LOL my friend @Evita_W beat me to it, but here's my version of what *I* would do:

Until you find a seat cover (*love* that car-seat cover idea, @Evita_W!) you can always pop a Disney t-shirt over the seatback (just knot up the extra fabric at the bottom of the back side, and secure by making a knot, or grabbing an elastic hair tie) and cover the seat bottom with a beach towel, or an inexpensive towel that matches the color ways of the shirt from Wal-Mart or Target. That way everything is infinitely washable as well as easily changeable!

For cane/crutch holding purposes, in the past, our fearless leader, @SueM in MN has recommended this product, and I have to say - she is totally right about it! I love it, because it's so versatile, lightweight and quick and easy to use.

Personally, for a cup holder option, I prefer theRobocup but it does require the right place to clamp it on!

As far as rain goes, I have (for years now) simply worn a poncho, and I throw the front of the poncho over the tiller to cover it, and then I lean forward a bit, and throw the back of the poncho over the seatback, so that it drapes down and covers that as well. For light rain, you can buy some inexpensive disposable shower caps, and stretch them over the tiller controls; at $7 for 100, that's a lot of Disney days! 🙂 If all that is just too much, grab a cheap, clear shower curtain, and throw it over the scooter, and call it good!

Personally, I have tried the "Sportbrella" and it didn't work at all for me - not only did it make climbing on and off the scooter a bit clumsy (ducking to get under when going on and off all the time) but what you quickly find is that if it's sunny... there's a limited window of time when it is actually fully effective. Most of the time, regardless of what direction you are driving, there will be sun coming in under from one side or another.

Same thing with rain! If there is any wind at all when it rains, it will just blow under the umbrella, and you (and the scooter) will most likely be more wet than if you just used the poncho. One time (during Hurricane Gaston, no less! LOL) I actually bought a second poncho just to leave on my scooter when it was parked, because it was all rain, all day, every day. Hopefully you won't have too many of those days!

Welcome! Hope you will join us here often in the future - those of us who are far away love to live vicariously though you locals! LOL

I found "play and go" fitted sheets work well as a seat cover. I found a nice two-pack of microfibre waterproof ones in the crib bedding section at Walmart. For the captain's chair size a crib size fitted sheet may work a bit better. You could even fashion your own cover by cutting down an old sheet. The fitted corners help it stay on a bit better but are not strictly necessary if you get creative. A towel would work.

I like the microfibre waterproof fabric because it takes a fair bit to get it *wet*, and if the seat surface is damp it gives an effective barrier between it and me. I bring a small high absorbancy towel for wiping off the seat in case it gets rained on.

If you are at all crafty, Babyville Boutique makes waterproof PUL fabric that would make a great homemade fabric seat cover. Other companies also make suitable PUL fabric. Joann and other stores that sell fabric should carry PUL fabric by the yard. The Babyville fabric is also sold in precut kits intended for projects like diaper-making that could be adapted for use, through places like Walmart.

I use a couple lengths of parachute cord to tie around my cover in a couple strategic places to the wind won't blow it off - easy to release if needed. If you were using a cut up old sheet cut some fabric ties either integral to the sheet or separate.

It doesn't take much fabric to create a sufficient barrier between the sun and the surface of the seat.

Another option is to put an old tshirt over the seat back, then you only need to worry about something for the seat bottom, andsomething as simple as a towel would work.

Also, if leaving the ECV parked for any length of time, fold down the seat back -- that way the back and seat are sheltered from the direct sun (and rain...).

Thank you all for the suggestions so far! I will add that I have already purchased the Victory 10. I have some cheap dining room chair covers for an unsightly chair I use as an accent chair and, since they are designed to be used over anything from a small chair to a Parson's chair, they are very stretchy. I tried one out today and it fit perfect and is fine even when I fold the seat down it does not move. Super happy!

Thank you again for the x-ing of the umbrella because I was looking and to know that they are cumbersome and not worth the effort just saved me a bundle. I think I will just do the shower cap thing and bring a poncho (I have a weather proof cover for it when it's stored) I found this cooler basket that has a spot for the phone and cup holders that I may give a shot . I am just looking forward to the comfort and finally giving myself a break. I do like my rollator, but since I am on my feet all week and the pain is just too much for me, I think this will solve the problem of endurance.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far! I will add that I have already purchased the Victory 10. I have some cheap dining room chair covers for an unsightly chair I use as an accent chair and, since they are designed to be used over anything from a small chair to a Parson's chair, they are very stretchy. I tried one out today and it fit perfect and is fine even when I fold the seat down it does not move. Super happy!

Thank you again for the x-ing of the umbrella because I was looking and to know that they are cumbersome and not worth the effort just saved me a bundle. I think I will just do the shower cap thing and bring a poncho (I have a weather proof cover for it when it's stored) I found this cooler basket that has a spot for the phone and cup holders that I may give a shot . I am just looking forward to the comfort and finally giving myself a break. I do like my rollator, but since I am on my feet all week and the pain is just too much for me, I think this will solve the problem of endurance.

For your basket in the rain. We like to keep a plastic bag inside the basket. When it starts to rain, we put everything into the plastic bag. And then cover the whole basket with another shower cap. Keeps things inside much drier.

I also did not see it suggested today, but I know I got the idea frim here. When using a poncho to cover the scooter if you need to park it in the rain, bring a few chip clip type clipes to clip the poncho down in a few spots so it does not fly off or come uncovered.

My DH has a knee scooter and why oh why did they make the cushion black!!! Going out, that thing gets downright hot! I made a quick cloth cover for him. Worked great. But that's just a small pad on the knee scooter not a chair type scooter. Do you have crafty family? If not I'm sure you can order something I'll bet there are a lot of people with the same issue. Good luck.

I would suggest calling Gold Mobility, they sell off their old equipment every 6 months after fully refurbishing them and replacing the batteries at a highly discounted rate. They will also sell new if you prefer and you can get their accessories.

If you already have your new scooter, still call them, they can help you with the accessories, the new cup holder they are using is great, they have a great cell phone holder and fan. Also, they can add the undercarriage lighting as well. I am not sure what the current price for the package is, it I think it is reasonable. They can also add the reflective stickers if you would like. They can also sell you a cane holder that works well. I do not recommend their sun shade, still trying to figure out a good solar shade in umbrella attachment.

As for the seat cover, If you got the captains chair, I would look at smaller universal car seat covers, that should do the trick. Again though, Gold Mobility may be able to help. If neither of those work, there is a group on Facebook called Ears for Each Other that has CMs that are still laid off or some ended up starting their own business and aren't going back, etc. And some may be able to make something custom, even Disney themed at a reasonable price.

As to the rain, unless it is really bad rain, just cover the tiller with a shower cap and you will be fine. This is what they recommend for their rentals. If it is really bad rain, try to find cover for a bit. Basically, what you don't want to get wet are the USB port and charge port or the tiller and controls. Usually your body does a pretty good job at protecting the ports and the shower cap protects the tiller well.

Also, there are safety mechanisms built in, so if things do get wet that shouldn't, the scooter won't operate until completely dried out, but likely won't be permanently harmed.

Hopefully that is helpful.

I should also state that DH has added a second cup holder to what Gold Mobility out on the one he bought from them fr HandleStash https://handlestash.com/ they are meant for bikes, but work great on the scooter, especially over the cobblestones, etc. That occur at the theme parks, he tends to use both of those and the built in one (on the 10.2) gets used for regular sized drinks.
Hi! quick question.....why don't you just fold the back of the seat over so you don't come back to a scalding hot scooter? also, why don't you recommend Gold's sun shade? I was thinking of getting that with my package but if you have a better idea....I'd LOVE to hear it! Thanks!

I found "play and go" fitted sheets work well as a seat cover. I found a nice two-pack of microfibre waterproof ones in the crib bedding section at Walmart. For the captain's chair size a crib size fitted sheet may work a bit better. You could even fashion your own cover by cutting down an old sheet. The fitted corners help it stay on a bit better but are not strictly necessary if you get creative. A towel would work.

I like the microfibre waterproof fabric because it takes a fair bit to get it *wet*, and if the seat surface is damp it gives an effective barrier between it and me. I bring a small high absorbancy towel for wiping off the seat in case it gets rained on.

If you are at all crafty, Babyville Boutique makes waterproof PUL fabric that would make a great homemade fabric seat cover. Other companies also make suitable PUL fabric. Joann and other stores that sell fabric should carry PUL fabric by the yard. The Babyville fabric is also sold in precut kits intended for projects like diaper-making that could be adapted for use, through places like Walmart.

I use a couple lengths of parachute cord to tie around my cover in a couple strategic places to the wind won't blow it off - easy to release if needed. If you were using a cut up old sheet cut some fabric ties either integral to the sheet or separate.

It doesn't take much fabric to create a sufficient barrier between the sun and the surface of the seat.

Another option is to put an old tshirt over the seat back, then you only need to worry about something for the seat bottom, andsomething as simple as a towel would work.

Also, if leaving the ECV parked for any length of time, fold down the seat back -- that way the back and seat are sheltered from the direct sun (and rain...).
What great suggestions! I had so many questions and you answered pretty much all of them! since I am renting a scooter from Gold for 17 days, I am renting a mini van because we are off property...have you by any chance had to dismantle a 3 wheel scooter to put in the back? I am really nervous about that since my husband is 64 and I have problems with my legs. Thanks for all your help!!

Hi! quick question.....why don't you just fold the back of the seat over so you don't come back to a scalding hot scooter? also, why don't you recommend Gold's sun shade? I was thinking of getting that with my package but if you have a better idea....I'd LOVE to hear it! Thanks!
I find the sun shade gets in the way on the elevators and makes getting on and off the buses harder. Some have no issues with them, just personal experience. Additionally, a friend that doesn't use a scooter got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/BAODINI-Umbr...rds=uv+umbrella+baodini&qid=1627343967&sr=8-5

I am not kidding, it lowered the temperature under it by a good 10 to 15 degrees, so we are trying to figure out a good way to attach this specific one to a Victory 10.2, haven't figured anything out yet, but when I say it was incredibly cooler, I mean it.

As for the seat, DH doesn't like to constantly mess with the seat position, as it takes time to get it back to the correct position. DH is also considering an "Arctic Cooler", which could sit in a cup holder and uses ice/ice packs to produce cold air, the ice packs allegedly last 8 hours or so. Then using the handlestash cup holder mentioned earlier could provide cold air as well. Can you tell he really doesn't like heat? LOL

And we live in Southern California and he still wants it.

What great suggestions! I had so many questions and you answered pretty much all of them! since I am renting a scooter from Gold for 17 days, I am renting a mini van because we are off property...have you by any chance had to dismantle a 3 wheel scooter to put in the back? I am really nervous about that since my husband is 64 and I have problems with my legs. Thanks for all your help!!
If it is just the two of you (or at least few enough you can fold the back row down), put the back seat down and you can lift it in and out without dismantling it, just remove the batteries and seat if weight is an issue, once those two items are removed, it is considerably lighter and if you are only putting one scooter in, you will have plenty of room with just the back row folded down.

If it is just the two of you (or at least few enough you can fold the back row down), put the back seat down and you can lift it in and out without dismantling it, just remove the batteries and seat if weight is an issue, once those two items are removed, it is considerably lighter and if you are only putting one scooter in, you will have plenty of room with just the back row folded down.
:worship::worship:Thank you for such a fast reply! We are certainly going to do our best! I'm sure after the first couple of times we should have it down! lol:banana::banana:Have a fantastic day and thanks again!

I have never had to disassemble the scooter as we stay on property and use WDW transportation.

However, they have a video on their Youtube page that shows how to disassemble the GoGo Sport scooter:
Note it is from 2017 so you would want to check with them that it is still current.

SW

Not the poster you are replying to... but... I rented from GMS in December 2019. We asked for the sunshade. When they dropped it off, as soon as I saw it in person I asked if they could please remove the sunshade, which they happily did.

I found the sunshade to be large and unwieldy. Not something I want to try navigating with. Others have posted in other threads that its utility is also limited as it only really blocks sun on the person on the scooter for a limited period in the day when the sun is directly overhead, the rest of the time the angle isn't right and the shadow falls on the ground not the scooter.

I wear a wide brimmed hat and good quality long sleeve/long pant sun protective clothing UPF 50+ and sun block on the few exposed areas and find that combined with judicious use of shade and indoors when available does just fine despite being highly sun sensitive.

SW

I find the sun shade gets in the way on the elevators and makes getting on and off the buses harder. Some have no issues with them, just personal experience. Additionally, a friend that doesn't use a scooter got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/BAODINI-Umbr...rds=uv+umbrella+baodini&qid=1627343967&sr=8-5

I am not kidding, it lowered the temperature under it by a good 10 to 15 degrees, so we are trying to figure out a good way to attach this specific one to a Victory 10.2, haven't figured anything out yet, but when I say it was incredibly cooler, I mean it.

I have a both a Coolibar (https://www.coolibar.com) umbrella and a UV Blocker (https://uv-blocker.com) umbrella. Both reputable brands that specialize in UV-protective products and recommend both.

I have used each with a "Brella Bag" and the setup worked pretty well. Unfortunately the Brella Bag is no longer made, but you may be able to find one online or jury-rig something similar by modifying a suitable crossbody purse.

SW

Not the poster you are replying to... but... I rented from GMS in December 2019. We asked for the sunshade. When they dropped it off, as soon as I saw it in person I asked if they could please remove the sunshade, which they happily did.

I found the sunshade to be large and unwieldy. Not something I want to try navigating with. Others have posted in other threads that its utility is also limited as it only really blocks sun on the person on the scooter for a limited period in the day when the sun is directly overhead, the rest of the time the angle isn't right and the shadow falls on the ground not the scooter.

I wear a wide brimmed hat and good quality long sleeve/long pant sun protective clothing UPF 50+ and sun block on the few exposed areas and find that combined with judicious use of shade and indoors when available does just fine despite being highly sun sensitive.

SW
Honestly, this is true for all canopies/sun shades for scooters, none really work for more than a short amount of time during the day and just get in the way.

I have a both a Coolibar (https://www.coolibar.com) umbrella and a UV Blocker (https://uv-blocker.com) umbrella. Both reputable brands that specialize in UV-protective products and recommend both.

I have used each with a "Brella Bag" and the setup worked pretty well. Unfortunately the Brella Bag is no longer made, but you may be able to find one online or jury-rig something similar by modifying a suitable crossbody purse.

SW
DH did find one company that makes ones designed to fit on scooters, but with everything it would be over $150 and the reviews weren't as good as they were for the one our friend got.

SW
Sorry about that! I looked at having the sunshade too but after seeing video of some people using them and how awkward they looked changed my mind. I think I'll get a cane holder instead...it's always getting in my way! Thanks for answering back though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter