MK Monorail: 11/2 VP Pence Visit - Secret Service?

cinderlexa's mom

Happily addicted to WDW
Anyone have monorail experience or security issues into MK when Obama & Romney spoke at a political convention in 2012 @ the Contemporary?

VP Pence will be @ GF on 11/2/17 & I'm concerned about longer security screening times & the possibility of the resort monorail to MK being shut down...

Any experience?

Wow! Dodged that bullet. We are eating at Victoria & Albert on the 3rd. If what happens here in Austin with traffic and the airport when one of them visits is any indication, then it will be bedlam:(

I found an article regarding bus and car traffic being stopped. Not sure if anyone has had first hand experience with monorail...

Anyone have monorail experience or security issues into MK when Obama & Romney spoke at a political convention in 2012 @ the Contemporary?

VP Pence will be @ GF on 11/2/17 & I'm concerned about longer security screening times & the possibility of the resort monorail to MK being shut down...

Any experience?

Do you know what time he is scheduled to speak? We're hopping from EP to MK that day.

Oh yuck. We are going to Epcot that day - will make sure to walk to TTC from Polynesian.

Any experience?
I thought he spoke at MK in 2012? I recall Pres Obama speaking and we dropped MK plans and went to DHS instead. WDW was pulling out all the stops to lure people over to DHS by putting on special fireworks, live bands, EMH

In 2012, Obama both gave a speech in MK & @ CR, one day apart from when Romney gave a speech @ CR.

Apparently, bus & car traffic was stopped or redirected for a good portion of those days. Wondering about monorail

I was there when Obama was in the MK. There were definitely transportation halts. More than just the monorail shut down for his motorcade. I don't know exactly what happened after that as we avoided all parks that day and stayed in at our resort (Poly). We saw secret service on the beach. It was kinda cool. They left us info under our door as to what to expect with shut downs/delays.

Our last visit was in 2012 and coincided with that situation. We were on a bus from WL and were stopped for a very long time not going anywhere without any indication of when we might move or why there was a delay (only found out later).
My advice would be to avoid any transportation that isn't by foot.

Our last visit was in 2012 and coincided with that situation. We were on a bus from WL and were stopped for a very long time not going anywhere without any indication of when we might move or why there was a delay (only found out later).
My advice would be to avoid any transportation that isn't by foot.
What time of day? We've got a PPO reservation at BOG that morning.

There's threads scattered around the DIS about when Joe Biden visited. I didn't search too far into things, but I'm sure it gives the impact of his visiting. Do expect some delays.

It was in the morning. We either missed EMH or the opening - pretty sure it was EMH because I remember ranting that two years earlier we'd missed an EMH day because the monorail was down. I believe Obama was having breakfast at the Grand Floridian.
Of course, that doesn't mean that Pence will be there in the morning or that he'll impact where you're going. If we'd been taking the boat to MK we wouldn't have had a problem.

It was in the morning. We either missed EMH or the opening - pretty sure it was EMH because I remember ranting that two years earlier we'd missed an EMH day because the monorail was down. I believe Obama was having breakfast at the Grand Floridian.
Of course, that doesn't mean that Pence will be there in the morning or that he'll impact where you're going. If we'd been taking the boat to MK we wouldn't have had a problem.
Thanks. Pence is speaking that evening, so hoping no issues for the morning.

We are staying at the GF during this event.....Our plan is AK that morning and then we have dinner at O'hana that evening. I really hope we can ride the monorail both to and from dinner! I don't understand why these political figures come to Disney? I go there to get away from the "real" world......this will take away from that experience for sure!! :(:(:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter