MK first evening we arrive...will there be enought time?

wdwnewfnut

Mouseketeer
We are arriving around 3:00pm, picking up our own bags, using ME to POP and I really want to go to MK that evening but have no idea if there will be enough time. We arrive Sat. Nov. 8th, I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I also don't mind using a full day pass for an evening. What time do you think after arriving and getting settled will we make it to the park?

In about 2 months go to the MK page and check the schedule. You may get lucky and have extra magic hours that night. They only post the schedules 6 months out. Closing hours vary between 7 PM and Midnight so until the schedule is posted it is hard to say.

I would save time and let ME get my bags, hop the first bus in and get checked in. Just from my experiences with ME and checking in you should be in your room no later than 5 PM so you could have sometime in the park.

I wouldn't pick up my bags. Depending on you arrival airline, you may be on the "wrong" side of the airport. If you trust your bags to the airline, you should also trust the to ME. Otherwise, it could add half an hour (or more) to your travel time.

You are unfortunately going to arrive at your resort at one of the busiest check-in times. I would expect a long wait but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Depending on your length of stay, the extra day only costs a few dollars. The difference between a 7 day and an 8 day MYW base ticket is $2.13, so there is no way it would NOT be worth going.

The biggest question would be your definition of "geting settled". If it means dropping off your carry ons and visiting the bathroom, you could be back out to the bus stop in 20 to 30 minutes after getting your keys. If you decide to collect your baggage, you may need help to get the bags to your room? Bell services at the Value resorts are good but can get backed up quite a bit. We have actually checked in, left our carry ons to be delivered by bell services, never going to our room until we returned from the park.

Also, the MK schedule is not posted so there is no way to judge closing time. It is NOT a MVMCP night so that is a good thing.

Let DME take care of your bags..you'll save time by not having to wait for your bags to come out on the carousel.
You should be at the resort within about 70 mins of deplaning. That's been my average time..I've had times of under an hour and close to 90 mins...that 90 mins seems to have been an aberration though. In 4-5 trips with DME that has happened only once.
So, you will most likely be at POP by 4:00 if you let DME take care of the bags. Pack what you will need for the rest of that day in your carryon. Checkin at POP and then head off to the park...I would imagine that MK will be open to at least 8:00 on a Sat night.

We will be arriving on United, don't know if that helps, and I wouldn't be able to relax unless I know we have our bags. Getting settled means dropping the bags and a quick bathroom visit, about 20min. Also, looking at the schedule from last november there is no Saturday night when MK was not open till at least 11 or 12, no EMH. Do you think we'd be able to make it to the park by 7. In my estimation that should give us plenty of time but what do I know, the last time I was there I was 3 and this time I'll be 30. We will also be there for 9 nights so cost isn't really an issue.

We will be arriving on United, don't know if that helps, and I wouldn't be able to relax unless I know we have our bags. Getting settled means dropping the bags and a quick bathroom visit, about 20min. Also, looking at the schedule from last november there is no Saturday night when MK was not open till at least 11 or 12, no EMH. Do you think we'd be able to make it to the park by 7. In my estimation that should give us plenty of time but what do I know, the last time I was there I was 3 and this time I'll be 30.
If your flight arrives on time, you should be at baggage claim by 3:15ish. Then, you will have a wait of up to 15+ mins for the bags to come out...I know others have had good luck but I'm always standing there with the others that have waited 20 mins for their bags, so I always put the 'worst case scenario' times in. Then, down to DME..about 5 mins. Maybe 5 mins in line, checking in, then off to the bus lines. You could be in a line that is getting ready to board so you won't have a long wait. But, if your bus has just pulled out, it could be 20 mins for the next one. So..lets say 10 mins there, at the bus line, then 10 mins on the bus before it pulls out. (These are pretty much the times I have had on at least 4 trips with DME). Then 30 mins to POP. So....that puts you at POP checkin at..4:15 or so. Then, checkin may take up to 20 mins...POP seems to take a bit longer than other resorts, not sure why. Now, it's about 4:40, off to your room. Spend a bit there, get back to the MK bus by 5:15. If the bus is there, great, just hop on. IF not, you may have to wait up to 20 mins for the MK bus to get there. So, we'll go with a wait of 10 mins..now it's 5:30ish. You'll get to MK just before 6:00.
I can't imagine it would be much sooner than that....of course, you could luck out and have very short wait times all the way along. I always try to imagine the 'worst case scenario.'

If your flight arrives on time, you should be at baggage claim by 3:15ish. Then, you will have a wait of up to 15+ mins for the bags to come out...I know others have had good luck but I'm always standing there with the others that have waited 20 mins for their bags, so I always put the 'worst case scenario' times in. Then, down to DME..about 5 mins. Maybe 5 mins in line, checking in, then off to the bus lines. You could be in a line that is getting ready to board so you won't have a long wait. But, if your bus has just pulled out, it could be 20 mins for the next one. So..lets say 10 mins there, at the bus line, then 10 mins on the bus before it pulls out. (These are pretty much the times I have had on at least 4 trips with DME). Then 30 mins to POP. So....that puts you at POP checkin at..4:15 or so. Then, checkin may take up to 20 mins...POP seems to take a bit longer than other resorts, not sure why. Now, it's about 4:40, off to your room. Spend a bit there, get back to the MK bus by 5:15. If the bus is there, great, just hop on. IF not, you may have to wait up to 20 mins for the MK bus to get there. So, we'll go with a wait of 10 mins..now it's 5:30ish. You'll get to MK just before 6:00.
I can't imagine it would be much sooner than that....of course, you could luck out and have very short wait times all the way along. I always try to imagine the 'worst case scenario.'

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease a little bit. I always try and assume worst case scenario as well. I was really hoping to be able to go to MK that evening because I don't think I'll be able to sleep unless I do. Worst case scenario is our flight is really late and we don't get to the hotel until really late, in that case I'll probably be too tired to want to go to the park anyways, long way to go, long travel day!

If your flight arrives on time, you should be at baggage claim by 3:15ish. Then, you will have a wait of up to 15+ mins for the bags to come out...
That " + " can actually be a LOT longer, depending on airport load (many planes + few baggage handlers = potentially slower luggage presentation), weather (baggage handlers can't work if there's lightning in the area), whether all a party's luggage actually made it on to the departing flight...

Separate from that - while Magical Express includes the tip for having your luggage magically appear in your room, all other tipping (to anyone who handles one's luggage) is the expense and responsibility of the Guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter