• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MK/Fantasyland “Early Morning Magic” (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

It sounds like yesterday was unusually chaotic-we are also at DHS today and I am definitely hoping for a better experience!

We haven’t done MK EMM yet (maybe we won’t if they don’t release Sept. availability AND they don’t fix these problems and inconsistencies), but we had a wonderful experience at TSL EMM (DHS) about a month ago! Hope your experience there today is just as great!

We were at EMM yesterday morning too, and we had a better experience than several folks, although I did feel like it was oversold. It sounds like we got lucky with our ride timing and missed most of the waits others hit, which were definitely unfortunate. We had done the old format last February and this was noticeably busier, for sure.

We drove to the TTC and they were running the resort monorail. We parked about 7:00 and we’re through bag check around 7:25 I think. A small delay at checkin, one CM’s iPad scanner didn’t seem to be working right. It was busy enough that they used both entrance gates instead of just the left, and we were fortunate to be in the first group told that, so we shifted over and were at the very front on the right. We were going to do a PhotoPass picture but it was so crowded by the time we got to a photographer we decided it wasn’t a great choice.

My youngest had been begging for the carousel all week (but none of us wanted to wait 30-40 minutes for it), and he’d been dragged around on other people’s schedules, so we promised him carousel and we did that and Pooh all together, both were walk ons. Little guy loved SDMT a few days ago but when we tried to do it all together he said “no rollercoasters, no!!”, so after that we split up. :)

We had expected SDMT to be close to walk on after we’d done all that but it was posted at 20—I suspect we hit the back end of the break down delay mentioned above, we waited about 10, going through standby which we’d never done before. Met back up at the carousel, where little had gotten 3 more rides, waited for them, then did Pan...walk on, but through standby. I was happy to go that way, I can’t recall ever doing standby before and I always hear about how great the queue is, so it was fun to see while speedwalking!

Big kid and I did SDMT 3 more times starting at 8:40, first was about 7 minutes, then a walk on, then about 5 minutes right ahead of rope drop. Little did tea cups and under the sea during that time.

Our plan was to RD Dumbo of all things, because we FP’d it earlier this week and the kids missed the play area. But they don’t open the play area until 10, so that was super quick. We did Barnstormer too while there, then went to breakfast.

Breakfast was busy but we had no problem finding a table and only waited a minute or two for our food—drinks took longer. We thought everything but the eggs was pretty tasty (I had to laugh at the poor CM carrying around dishes of just eggs right after 10, trying to give them away. No one wants the cold powdered eggs, folks!). We went back for seconds and requested just pancakes, bacon, and sausage, and they were happy to do that, just took an extra minute—saw lots of folks customizing like that. Fruit was running out but right around 10 they did bring out one last tray, which went fast. Plenty of pastries—the ones with chocolate (like the Cheshire Cat tails, without the pink and purple icing), were delicious. Coffee was drinkable but not great. I did prefer the old breakfast, but this wasn’t as bad as I had feared it would be.

We then moved on to our FPs, which I could have planned better—it was an insanely busy day and refresh wasn’t working as well as I had been counting on. But we enjoyed the event!

This has me worried. We are schedule for emm this Sunday. We did the toy story one and loved it. Wondering if I should just cancel this one save the over 200 dollars.

I think we will keep it. It's already paid for. I mean we go to Disney a lot so I would like to know if this is worth it for us, unlike the dessert parties. The Toy Story one is and we will do it again in the future. We are kind of to the point where we just try something new each trip to see if it works for us.

I have not been to the EMM at either park but have been going to Disney for 20 years. It seems very often Disney starts an event at a high price but gives decent value. Then over time, the price increases or they increase the capacity or both. We have seen this happen with MNSSHP, the Christmas party and the MK dessert party. I hope this is not what is happening with EMM, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

We were at EMM yesterday morning too, and we had a better experience than several folks, although I did feel like it was oversold. It sounds like we got lucky with our ride timing and missed most of the waits others hit, which were definitely unfortunate. We had done the old format last February and this was noticeably busier, for sure.

We drove to the TTC and they were running the resort monorail. We parked about 7:00 and we’re through bag check around 7:25 I think. A small delay at checkin, one CM’s iPad scanner didn’t seem to be working right. It was busy enough that they used both entrance gates instead of just the left, and we were fortunate to be in the first group told that, so we shifted over and were at the very front on the right. We were going to do a PhotoPass picture but it was so crowded by the time we got to a photographer we decided it wasn’t a great choice.

My youngest had been begging for the carousel all week (but none of us wanted to wait 30-40 minutes for it), and he’d been dragged around on other people’s schedules, so we promised him carousel and we did that and Pooh all together, both were walk ons. Little guy loved SDMT a few days ago but when we tried to do it all together he said “no rollercoasters, no!!”, so after that we split up. :)

We had expected SDMT to be close to walk on after we’d done all that but it was posted at 20—I suspect we hit the back end of the break down delay mentioned above, we waited about 10, going through standby which we’d never done before. Met back up at the carousel, where little had gotten 3 more rides, waited for them, then did Pan...walk on, but through standby. I was happy to go that way, I can’t recall ever doing standby before and I always hear about how great the queue is, so it was fun to see while speedwalking!

Big kid and I did SDMT 3 more times starting at 8:40, first was about 7 minutes, then a walk on, then about 5 minutes right ahead of rope drop. Little did tea cups and under the sea during that time.

Our plan was to RD Dumbo of all things, because we FP’d it earlier this week and the kids missed the play area. But they don’t open the play area until 10, so that was super quick. We did Barnstormer too while there, then went to breakfast.

Breakfast was busy but we had no problem finding a table and only waited a minute or two for our food—drinks took longer. We thought everything but the eggs was pretty tasty (I had to laugh at the poor CM carrying around dishes of just eggs right after 10, trying to give them away. No one wants the cold powdered eggs, folks!). We went back for seconds and requested just pancakes, bacon, and sausage, and they were happy to do that, just took an extra minute—saw lots of folks customizing like that. Fruit was running out but right around 10 they did bring out one last tray, which went fast. Plenty of pastries—the ones with chocolate (like the Cheshire Cat tails, without the pink and purple icing), were delicious. Coffee was drinkable but not great. I did prefer the old breakfast, but this wasn’t as bad as I had feared it would be.

We then moved on to our FPs, which I could have planned better—it was an insanely busy day and refresh wasn’t working as well as I had been counting on. But we enjoyed the event!

I went for the first time last February also and had a wonderful experience. Did it again last August, and found it to be twice as crowded. We still had a good time, experienced no problems and really enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

The overcrowding, disorganization along with the new breakfast has me concerned.

I made my fast passes for my MK day before I decided to go with the EMM. I was wanting to change my PP fast pass, which is 10:00-11:00 to a BTMR same time but the earliest it offered was a 4:00, so that tells me the park will really be crowded when we go. So I am really hesitant on cancelling. Ugghhhhh.

I'm so tempted to just cancel our EMM dates (both MK and DHS). I'm not thrilled with either breakfast offering and the appeal at MK has been so diminished with the increase in tickets sold, it's just hard to justify the price. We'll have 10 park days at Disney and have 2 scheduled at MK. $588 for our family of 7. Not worth it if we're waiting in a 20+ minute line for 7dmt.

I'm so tempted to just cancel our EMM dates (both MK and DHS). I'm not thrilled with either breakfast offering and the appeal at MK has been so diminished with the increase in tickets sold, it's just hard to justify the price. We'll have 10 park days at Disney and have 2 scheduled at MK. $588 for our family of 7. Not worth it if we're waiting in a 20+ minute line for 7dmt.

Yep, I’m paying for 7 people as well. Ugh. It’s a tough decision. We’re only doing one day at MK though, so I’m leaning towards keeping it. 10 days should be more than enough to see everything. DHS EMM is completely different than MK though. They let you in before the rides start to have breakfast, and the food is a lot better than at MK. And the waits there aren’t nearly as long as the ones people have been reporting at MK lately. I know a few people who have done both, within the last few weeks, and they’ve all been really disappointed in MK, but loved the one at DHS.

Yep, I’m paying for 7 people as well. Ugh. It’s a tough decision. We’re only doing one day at MK though, so I’m leaning towards keeping it. 10 days should be more than enough to see everything. DHS EMM is completely different than MK though. They let you in before the rides start to have breakfast, and the food is a lot better than at MK. And the waits there aren’t nearly as long as the ones people have been reporting at MK lately. I know a few people who have done both, within the last few weeks, and they’ve all been really disappointed in MK, but loved the one at DHS.

Did DHS this morning-so much better than MK yesterday. Well organized, let into the park before the scheduled time, the ride area was smaller and easier to navigate so less time wasted walking, and the food was much, much better quality. I’d absolutely do this one again, and would not do MK again as currently structured (plus we thought SDD was a better ride than 7D).

We’re booked for both MK and DHS EMM for our trip in August. I’m hoping not to be disappointed but I’m glad we’re able to cancel if the reviews aren’t looking good. It’s just DD and myself so not a huge investment but still money that could be put towards something else if these prove not to be worth it.

We could have gone one one more time but decided to head to Tomorrowland for astroorbiters (youngest is too short for space, oldest doesn’t like thrill rides).

@polynor how long did it take to get on Astro orbiter?!? It’s my DS’s favorite ride, and he’s begging to ride it at rope drop.

@polynor how long did it take to get on Astro orbiter?!? It’s my DS’s favorite ride, and he’s begging to ride it at rope drop.

We did Astro orbiter as our second attraction after RD last week, on a pretty busy day (crowds reported as an 8)—we did Buzz right at 9, then it was maybe a 10 minute wait at most for AO. It would have been walk on at rope drop that morning.

After our first ride my youngest wanted to go again (he loves elevators and spinning rides, so it’s his version of heaven), but the wait was over half an hour and he also wanted a snack...by then I think it was approaching 45 minutes, so we only did one ride. If you rope dropped it you could probably get at least two rides in before the crowds get bad, though.

We did Astro orbiter as our second attraction after RD last week, on a pretty busy day (crowds reported as an 8)—we did Buzz right at 9, then it was maybe a 10 minute wait at most for AO. It would have been walk on at rope drop that morning.

After our first ride my youngest wanted to go again (he loves elevators and spinning rides, so it’s his version of heaven), but the wait was over half an hour and he also wanted a snack...by then I think it was approaching 45 minutes, so we only did one ride. If you rope dropped it you could probably get at least two rides in before the crowds get bad, though.

Excellent, thank you! My youngest loves the elevator too! And the space ships. But that wait is horrible on a busy day!

Yep, at rope drop, we were on the first ride. We could have easily repeated at least one more time with low waits.

With the new format, do you still enter FL on the left of the castle, in front of Storybook Treats? Or do they direct you more toward the Tea Cups?
It seems like if they still have us line up at the left tapstiles, but then go to to the right of castle, that would be kind of tricky. Especially if it's super crowded. Or can you choose which side of the castle you walk by?
Just curios.

This is reminiscent of last year when EMM got on a rolling 180 day pattern of availability (like it just did a few weeks ago) and eventually they came back and cancelled a handful of dates that at one point had been bookable. Those dates never did disappear from being blue on the EMM website, they just always showed as no times available.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they got ahead of themselves with the schedule and they’ve put things on hold in case they want to do more 8am MK openings with big SWGE crowd influxes property wide.

Or it’s just some dumb tech issue.

Its probably 8am openings sadly. If so that's really disappointing to me as I wanted to use EMM to maximize my park time now that SGE will be open in September while we're there.

Its probably 8am openings sadly. If so that's really disappointing to me as I wanted to use EMM to maximize my park time now that SGE will be open in September while we're there.

The weird thing was when it happened last year, as far as I recall not a single date they cancelled ever did become an 8am opening. Still one of the stranger situations I’ve seen in following EMM scheduling.

But yeah, with SWGE around, who knows!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter