MK day, with lunch outside park

Earning My Ears
We're heading to Disney for our first trip next week. We plan on spending a few days at MK, but don't want to eat lunch in the park very day. I think my DH and preschoolers would enjoy getting out one day, either on the monorail or boat, to eat at one of the nearby hotels. (Hopefully they aren't too far.....)

What is your favorite lunch place outside MK, but just a quick hop away?

Thanks,

VB

have you considered trail's end buffet at fort wilderness? there is a petting zoo there your little one might enjoy. also, whispering canyon cafe at the wilderness lodge is a fun place. it can be a little rowdy!! those are the two i can think of. you would take the boat to either; it is the same boat.:tongue:

Two other spots to consider are Kona Cafe at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian Cafe at...well, you know.:D For both you can take the monorail or little launch:boat: to/from the resort. If you go to the GFC, I would take the launch to lunch and the monorail back to the MK.....yours will be the first stop going each way. We really enjoy the food at both of these restaurants.

Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort serves their character buffet breakfast until 11:30 daily, it would work as an early lunch or "brunch" especially if you were attending an MK EMH morning. :D

i ditto the suggestion to do a breakfast as brunch/lunch... we've done that and not only is it a bit less expensive than lunch, we found that we got great character interaction at the later seatings...

GF Cafe is a great place for lunch - yummy light foods, relaxing atmosphere, and good service. We had the best meal of our entire trip there last time. The GF is an easy and short ride on the monorail, and it's a gorgeous hotel to check out anyways =)

There is also Chef Mickeys at Contemporary, if you want to do a brunch, Concourse Steakhouse at Contemporary, and Kona at Poly. I think those are all the monorail ones at lunch... Trails End Buffet at Wilderness Lodge is great too, and just a boat ride away =)

You can check out menus at www.allearsnet.com

How about Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL? I haven't been, but have heard it's a fun, albeit silly place to eat. I plan to bring my mom, sister, and 4yo when we go in December, but I'm not going to tell them about the antics that go on there. I know that they will enjoy the place.

T&B

The Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge is a great place to dine. The food and the service are great and they are only a quick boat ride away.:boat:

A lot of hotel restaurants aren't open for lunch. I don't thing WCC is, for instance (or it wasn't last time we stayed there, which was a while ago and in the off season). I don't think Kona is either. Both are open for breakfast.

Kona IS open for lunch....always has been and was still open for lunch 10 days ago when we enjoyed that meal there. Concourse Steakhouse and GFCafe are also open for lunch. I have no idea about WCC though.

Yes, WCC is open for lunch, at least that's what I've read here and there is a lunch menu on the allearsnet site. like most places, it's also less expensive for lunch.

T&B

WCC was open for lunch last time we visited and it was alot of fun. My 5 yr old grandson loved it.

Glad to hear they opened some more restaurant for lunch! When we tried to do this, it was during the attendence depression - and it was disappointing to leave the parks only to end up at Roaring Forks! If I wanted counter service, we'd have stayed at the MK!

Just so folks won't worry about lunch options I would like to reiterate that Kona has always been open for lunch. We've been staying there since 1983 and its predecessor was always open too. We've been there every month of the year except for Aug. and Sept. including a month after 9/11.....always open. The only time the option was missing was during construction of Kona. The current lunch hours are 12:00 to 2:45.

Likewise GF Cafe had always been open for lunch although it closes for that meal at 2pm the last I knew.

I think the CR has always offered a lunch option too. One more advantage of the monorail resorts.

These are all great options for lunch.

If you haven't been over to Fort Wilderness, it is a great place for preschoolers. Besides the little petting zoo (they even have a cow with a not so hidden Mickey), there are pony rides and a nice little playground with plenty of room for the kids to run around. I have never been impressed with the food at Trail's End, but you can get premade sandwiches at the store and have a picnic lunch on the beach or by the playground. It's a nice relaxing boat ride away from MK and we always enjoy a little visit over there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter