MK/AK/EP park's crowd levels during opening period

brent02139

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this seems almost not SW: GE related, but what do you think the likely hood that SW: GE would draw the crowd and not impact other parks (MK, AK, EP) as much? Our kids are too young for SW but still would like to visit the other parks. I remember some blogs that showed when Pandora opened, HS and EP crowd went down but MK didn't change. Think the same thing could happen? SW has a much bigger fan following than Avatar, the same equation might not hold.

Sorry if this seems almost not SW: GE related, but what do you think the likely hood that SW: GE would draw the crowd and not impact other parks (MK, AK, EP) as much? Our kids are too young for SW but still would like to visit the other parks. I remember some blogs that showed when Pandora opened, HS and EP crowd went down but MK didn't change. Think the same thing could happen? SW has a much bigger fan following than Avatar, the same equation might not hold.
Based on data I've seen online, only AK saw an uptick that is obviously due to Pandora. Epcot smaller uptick more likely to do with adding a festival and lengthening festivals, and both DHS and MK didn't see an increase.

For SWGE, I'd expect to see an impact WDW-wide to some degree. Advance talk on Pandora wasn't all that positive overall, but word of mouth was so strong afterwards. With SWGE, some have been dreaming about walking into such a land since 1977... I think it'll be a different thing altogether! :)

At least they didn't put it in the castle park like they did in DLR.

Yes, yes, and more yes. We live an 8 hour drive from DLR and don’t plan to visit for quite awhile - probably at least a couple years - after SWGE opens. Not thrilled about how that’s going to impact DL itself. Neither is DH, and he’s a huge SW fan from a SW loving family.

We’re actually planning to visit SWGE at WDW before DLR. It just fits so much better at HS, and though I’m sure it will raise crowds throughout WDW, I really don’t think it will compare to what’s coming to DLR because of it. WDW absorbs crowds so much better.

OP, I have the same question as you, and we’re thinking of going several months later in summer 2020. We have to visit SWGE for DH, but I’d be perfectly content to mostly avoid HS the rest of the time. Hope the other parks are still doable.

I feel like all parks will be very busy once SWGE opens and that it will last a while.
That is why we are going this September (which I feel may be pretty low crowds as many people will be waiting to go until SWGE opens.) After that, we will wait a year or two depending on crowd level reports before we go again. We REALLY want to see SWGE, but don't want to go when crowds are overwhelming.

From what I've read, when Pandora opened, the crowd levels at all parks increased the first few months. Makes sense, as most families didn't just go to AK, but also visited the other parks suring their trip. Would expect the same when SWGE opens.

Some guests, like many members of DIS, have been to Disney many times. We may make a trip primarily to see SWGE. Others have previously visited WDW maybe a couple of times in the past. They'll want to visit all 4 parks.

Assume a person has issues getting advance FPs. Maybe staying offsite and tight availability at 30 days.

Will they spend:
  1. one day, getting in line an hour or more before rope drop, visiting SWGE.
  2. another day, getting in line before rope drop, for Toy Story
  3. same for Avatar
  4. a 2 hour wait for 7DMT

Last edited:
We're booked at CSR Dec. 21st-Jan. 3rd.

These are the dates we were going regardless of SWGE. We are SW's fans and are excited to see it, but the trip wasn't planned specifically to be among the first to see SWGE. We aren't the wait in line for hours type and also aren't open to close people either, so we will use are FP's and go from there. I've never had any issue getting a the FP's we want at the 60 day mark so hopefully that doesn't change.

We will have 10 day hoppers and current plans look like this:

4 days DHS
3 days AK
2 days MK
1 day EPCOT

AK is our favourite park and we haven't seen Pandora yet so that's why 3 days there. 4 days at SWGE should allow us the ride each ride twice with FP.

We would consider any type of after hour low crowd event, but it seems they don't typically run those during the Christmas week.

We're booked at CSR Dec. 21st-Jan. 3rd.

These are the dates we were going regardless of SWGE. We are SW's fans and are excited to see it, but the trip wasn't planned specifically to be among the first to see SWGE. We aren't the wait in line for hours type and also aren't open to close people either, so we will use are FP's and go from there. I've never had any issue getting a the FP's we want at the 60 day mark so hopefully that doesn't change.

We will have 10 day hoppers and current plans look like this:

4 days DHS
3 days AK
2 days MK
1 day EPCOT

AK is our favourite park and we haven't seen Pandora yet so that's why 3 days there. 4 days at SWGE should allow us the ride each ride twice with FP.

We would consider any type of after hour low crowd event, but it seems they don't typically run those during the Christmas week.

4 days seems it could be a bit of an overkill for DHS, unless you REALLY love that park. SWGE only has 2 rides so you may be able to spend a day or two at a different location if you chose.

4 days seems it could be a bit of an overkill for DHS, unless you REALLY love that park. SWGE only has 2 rides so you may be able to spend a day or two at a different location if you chose.

We would like to ride each SWGE ride twice and aren't going to wait in some crazy 3 hour line. So using those FP's are the only option.

I have read so many times where people are changing dates to avoid SW:GE and here we are already booked for Christmas lol. I hated big crowds until our last trip this past Christmas week. Now I am actually looking forward to Christmas and I know it will be stupid crowded!

Some guests, like many members of DIS, have been to Disney many times. We may make a trip primarily to see SWGE. Others have previously visited WDW maybe a couple of times in the past. They'll want to visit all 4 parks.

Assume a person has issues getting advance FPs. Maybe staying offsite and tight availability at 30 days.

Will they spend:
  1. one day, getting in line an hour or more before rope drop, visiting SWGE.
  2. another day, getting in line before rope drop, for Toy Story
  3. same for Avatar
  4. a 2 hour wait for 7DMT

Next year, April 2020, this is my plan almost exactly. I plan on spending two days at DHS as opposed to our usual two days at Magic Kingdom. In addition to one park day for each other park. I'm hopeful to get a fastpass for at least slinky dog, but I doubt I'll have much luck for swge, so I'll be out there at the crack of dawn ready to race the masses. For me, that's exciting.
I'm also willing to pay for Disney after hours...we'll see how that price jumps at hollywood studios after SWGE is added.

Agree with most comments here...I'm curious if they say opening Nov. 12th....what will the parks be like in Sept. and Oct? Slow? Low attendance?

Agree with most comments here...I'm curious if they say opening Nov. 12th....what will the parks be like in Sept. and Oct? Slow? Low attendance?

As I understand it, this is the one true absolute best time to go to Disney. Everyone is waiting for the new attractions, therefore attendance is low. Hopefully this theory holds true !!

Probably somewhat slow but still have Food and Wine and the ending of Illuminations and start of new temp show a EPCOT and likly opening of Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, and Halloween parties. Obviously GE is the big thing but there are a lot of things coming “Fall” vs the summer so might not be *as* slow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!