Mixed vaccines - now we cannot book šŸ™

MichelleCanada

DIS Veteran
A group of us was going to book cabins on Navigator of the Seas to celebrate some of turning 50. As Canadians almost all of the group has mixed vaccines. With this announcement we will be looking at another way of celebrating! It is quite unfortunate. Even our PM has mixed doses!

Does anyone think they will change their policy?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/...-accept-mixed-vaccines-being-fully-vaccinated

"Current CDC guidance recommends delaying the second dose of COVID-19 vaccine rather than mixing shots," and it seems like the cruise lines are following CDC guidelines. Therefore, I expect them to change their policy when CDC does... of course, the U.S. never approved Astrazeneca, which is the vaccine that several countries are mixing, so the CDC isn't motivated to change its policy šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

"Current CDC guidance recommends delaying the second dose of COVID-19 vaccine rather than mixing shots," and it seems like the cruise lines are following CDC guidelines. Therefore, I expect them to change their policy when CDC does... of course, the U.S. never approved Astrazeneca, which is the vaccine that several countries are mixing, so the CDC isn't motivated to change its policy šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Everything you said makes sense and makes me sad. The majority of 30-50 year olds in Canada (and UK I believe) got AstraZeneca. I wonder what % of cruisers wonā€™t be able to cruise under this policy. If they donā€™t need the Canadian market then they donā€™t need to change their policy šŸ™

Last edited:
Royal had the mixed dose restriction, but apparently they removed it.

I would guess that WHO will approve mixed doses once there is more data.

As for the US, they do recognize a foreign national with two doses of a WHO-recognized vaccine as fully vaccinated. So my thought is that once WHO is onboard, we will be fine.

Phew,I am glad RCL changed the policy, both DH and I are Pfizer+Moderna. I just hope the WHO changes their stance as well so more countries will accept mixed doses.

A group of us was going to book cabins on Navigator of the Seas to celebrate some of turning 50. As Canadians almost all of the group has mixed vaccines. With this announcement we will be looking at another way of celebrating! It is quite unfortunate. Even our PM has mixed doses!

Does anyone think they will change their policy?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/...-accept-mixed-vaccines-being-fully-vaccinated

I am from Quebec and they have announced that at some point, people who will want a third dose in order to be able to travel will be able to. It surprised me a bit to hear that but it looks like this is comingā€¦

Everything you said makes sense and makes me sad. The majority of 30-50 year olds in Canada (and UK I believe) got AstraZeneca. I wonder what % of cruisers wonā€™t be able to cruise under this policy. If they donā€™t need the Canadian market then they donā€™t need to change their policy šŸ™

It wasnā€™t the case in Quebec. Maybe itā€™s because we have been eligible later than other provinces but most 30-50yo got Pfizer and Moderna. People under 45 yo were never eligible for AZ because of the risks.

Royals FAQ on their website states the following:
"Royal Caribbean will accommodate guests who are vaccinated with mixed mRNA vaccines, such as 1 shot of Pfizer and 1 shot of Moderna. The doses must be separated by at least 28 days and not more than 42 days. "

I don't understand the not more than 42 days apart requirement. As far as I can tell, neither Celebrity or Holland America have the 42 day restriction. Anybody have any further insight into this?

My wife has 1 Pfizer/1 Moderna, and the doses were about 75 days apart, so it looks like we will not be booking with Royal.

Royals FAQ on their website states the following:
"Royal Caribbean will accommodate guests who are vaccinated with mixed mRNA vaccines, such as 1 shot of Pfizer and 1 shot of Moderna. The doses must be separated by at least 28 days and not more than 42 days. "

I don't understand the not more than 42 days apart requirement. As far as I can tell, neither Celebrity or Holland America have the 42 day restriction. Anybody have any further insight into this?

My wife has 1 Pfizer/1 Moderna, and the doses were about 75 days apart, so it looks like we will not be booking with Royal.

Thatā€™s crazy.
Studies done in the UK have shown that a longer delay has an even stronger outcome.
And studies on mixed vaccine doses have shown improved immune responses as well.

Sorry yes, it is just from US ports. Celebrity has also announced they wonā€™t be. Hoping this gets settled soon but sadly had to cancel my Sept 6 cruise.

Sorry yes, it is just from US ports. Celebrity has also announced they wonā€™t be. Hoping this gets settled soon but sadly had to cancel my Sept 6 cruise.

Did Celebrity change this? I could have sworn I checked two weeks ago and they hadn't mentioned anything about it, but checked after I read your post, and you are absolutely correct.

As of yesterday HAL didn't have the 42 day rule and mixed mRNA was fine. Booked a cruise for March 2022 yesterday. Reality is the policy will probably change multiple times between now and December when our final payment is scheduled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter