Mistake in the latest DVC email

pouncingpluto

DIS Veteran
Yes, I am wayyyyyy too picky. :) But I just spent about 20 minutes figuring this out, so I want to share it.

In this random trivia part of the email:

"Here are a couple of fun facts about the destination featured in your magazine's spring 2007 edition.

This European nation has more birds, mammals and reptiles than any other country in the European Union.
This nation gave a state to the U.S. in 1891."

It should be 1819, not 1891!

Now can you tell me what country it is? That should make it *much* easier.

Yep, it is good ol' Spain.

The Adams-Onis Treaty in 1819 ceded Spain's right to Texas over to the U.S. Ahhh....I knew studying US History would come in handy some day.

Spain is right!

But it was Florida, not Texas, in 1819.

From Wikipedia:

Prior to 1821, Texas was part of the Spanish dominions of New Spain.[8] Moses Austin bought 200,000 acres (800 km²) of land of his choice.[9] In 1821, Texas became part of Mexico and, in 1824, became the northern section of Coahuila y Tejas.

and in another part of the article:

Texas declared its independence from Mexico in 1836 and existed as the independent Republic of Texas for nearly a decade. In 1845, it joined the United States as the 28th state.

About Florida:

Britain tried to develop Florida through the importation of immigrants for labor, including some from Minorca and Greece, but this project ultimately failed. Spain regained Florida after Britain's defeat by the American colonies and the subsequent Treaty of Versailles (1783). Finally, in 1819, by terms of the Adams-Onís Treaty, Spain ceded Florida to the United States in exchange for the American renunciation of any claims on Texas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter