Missing School!

princess'sx3

Earning My Ears
How many people take their children out of school? My DD's will be in grade 3 and 1 with above average grades. Do you think missing 10 days of school is to much?

I go in Nov every year and take my DD out of school for a week. She is a average student and has no problems making up the time. By the way the way she is now in third grade and missing a week this year was alright.

I would talk to the teachers and see what they think.

We took our DD out for 5 days, making up the homework was not to bad.

My son will be missing 4 school days of 4th grade in Oct. We are going to FL Oct 4-14 - yes over Columbus Day weekend. At PTO meeting the principal said it is not frowned down upon to miss school because of family vacation. He will be getting the EpCot passport tomorrow for his 9th birthday so we will tell his next teacher we are spending time in the countries.

Took our oldest DD out of school (3rd grade) for a 10 day trip March 2000. No problem at all making up work. She got a Passporter from EPCOT and the CMs in each country wrote her name in their language in it. She loved sharing that with the class when she got home!
Will be taking her out of 5th grade next Jan/Feb for a week or so to visit WDW!

We are taking our kindergardner out for a week and a half...you can not believe how my friends are reacting to this. They think it is awful...it's kindergarden!!! She can already read and I doubt she will miss much. Last year a 10 year old at our resort was writing a report for her "homework" her teacher said she could do it on what she was doing. My parents took me to Europe my junior year in high school and I missed 2 wks, but learned so much more!!! So I don't think it is such a big deal. (I know a lot of people who do though)

I WISH I could take my DS out of school for a week. He makes above average grades, but around here it is a BIG "No- No". I know there have to be rules/laws for the school, but I think a parent should have some rights, too. When he was out 2 dys sick, it took almost a week to makeup the busy work.

I think it all depends on the school system you are in. There have been a lot of discussions on these boards about this topic, some are really for the idea, and others are dead set against it. We have taken our 4 children, 2 in school, (2nd grader and kindergardener) and the other 2 not yet in school, in Sept the last few years. We thankfully have a great school system that does not have a problem with this, and encourage family vacations. We do try to make it a learning experience every time though. We drive, so we make them tell us what state we are in , and find it on a map. They love the world showcase at Epcot, and they always learn something new. It's never been a problem. Another thing to look at is if it at the beginning of the year, or the end. We always try to do it at the beginning when everything is review anyway. Plus, we make sure the teachers give them homework to keep them busy on the way there , and back. They are only small once, and nothing replaces memories of family vacations. Have a great time. :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc

My DS will miss 6 days of third grade when we go in Oct. We are bringing homework with us on the train to do on the way down and back, hopefully that will help.

We are planning a Feb 2002 trip to WDW. We will be taking our kids, DS will be 13, DD will be 9, out of school for a week. I plan on talking to teachers at the beginning of the school year about our plans so we can get most of the homework done before we go. Our school is OK with these things, so I personally do not feel guilty about it!!!:pinkbounc :bounce:

We have taken our DD ,now 9 in 4th grade, out of school every year to go to WDW. The only problem came when her 3rd grade teacher frowned upon it. At that time she only missed 3 days. I was told she would not be able to make up any work. Anyways, I requested a copy of my DD's math book and we reviewed on the plane and at night when we were just relaxing. When she got back to school she was very far ahead of her classmates in math.

This year she missed 5 days and her teacher told us to have a wonderful time. MY DH doesn't get much time of in the summer (this being the first summer in 20 years with the company). My DD did some reading on the plane and math also. When she got back to school her teacher gave her a history worksheet and she had an exam the following day. The teacher did not expect her to take the test but she did and got 100%.

I have my DD sign a contract stating that she is fully responsible for any and all homework missed when we return from vacation. She fully complies (the only time she listens to me!!), for she knows that we won't take her out of school in the future.

I am proud of her and she has learned so so much at WDW that a text book couldn't even compare. We still have her journal we wrote on our vacation fro Kindergarten. We tracked the weather and she let her classmates know that she travelled around the world in one day. It was and will always be a valuable learning experience.

I took my kids ( 1st and 6th grade ) above average students, out of school for a week in February. One week before I write each teacher a note saying how long they will be out and if they can give them the work they will miss. They are cooperative and this way my kids can do the work before we leave. Some teachers just told my kids to enjoy themselves. Of course you know your child's potential and if you think they would have trouble catching up I would rethink if it is worth it to your child.

A lot of posters here talk about taking kids out of school for 5 days to a week. I think you do need to talk to the school, but 10 days (which is 2 weeks) does sound excessive.

We have taken our girls out of school for Kindergarten and First Grade and plan to do the same every year as long as they continue to do well in school. The teachers don't seem to mind - they said to have a wonderful time and seemed evious (sp?). However, I would be afraid to take them out of school for more than 5 days - I think that's pushing it and probably not fair to the kids in the long-run. I think they might feel lost and/or overwhelmed with 2 weeks worth of work to catch up on and still keep up with the current week's work when they return.

I took my DS out of third grade last year for 6 days he was fine. This year we are going for three weeks but I am homeschooling him. Thankj God no preassure to make up work when we get back

Just a thought, I think it might be unfair to the kids to pull them out of school and take their work with them on a "family vacation". Look at it from this angle are you the parent going to take along a few files or reports to work on while you are on vacation - I don't think so.:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!