Missing my computer

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
I had to take my MacBook to the Apple Store for some help. It's been misbehaving lately. They aren't sure what's wrong. It might be the hard drive. If it is, I'll be taking it to another place to get it replaced. The Apple Store doesn't have larger hard drives and mine is maxed out. I think I'll up the ram too. Certainly less expensive than a new computer. Hopefully I can triple the hard drive space. And hopefully the external time machine has a good back up for my data.

Thank goodness for my iPad.

Kim

Just upgraded my MBP to a 750 gig, SSD hybrid I got from OWC. Nice to have the "elbow room".

Even if it isn't the hard drive, I may go for the upgrade. Not truly fond of the external hard drive. Its ok just a bit of a pain.

Kim

Thanks, Mike. When I get the computer back, I will download that. I already have a large external hard drive. I figured, if I HAVE to replace the existing one, might as well upgrade the size. And while they're inside Ill go for more ram.

Kim

Just upgraded my MBP to a 750 gig, SSD hybrid I got from OWC. Nice to have the "elbow room".

I had to google to understand OWC but it was worth the search as there is some great instruction videos.

Well the Apple Store called and said they think it's a software problem. They said to back up my data and bring it back for a wipe and reinstall. Big problem. The reason I took it on is because I can't copy files to my external hard drive. Except a few at a time. I have 10 years worth of Disney photos on that computer. Moving them like that would take me weeks. I'm taking the external drive up to the store tomorrow to see if they can help. A bit frustrated right now. I really would like to see my photos from my December trip. But there isn't any room on the computer right now. ARRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Kim

Time machine backup are good. What you can do is back all your pictures, Documents and your music to an external hard drive. It might take some time because it a large amount data. Then I would install the new hard drive and RAM. After all the hardware is installed you do a fresh install of Mac OS X. This give you a clean slate to start from. Its good to have a clean slate just incase there are old programs taking up space on the hard drive. Then I would reinstall programs that you use like iLife, iWorks. When you have all your programs reinstalled do an system update (It not that bad on a Mac unlike Windows that takes hours!!!!) Then plug in your hard drive and transfer back over your pictures, documents and music.

Its can be a long process but your Mac will be just like it came from the factory. I am an IT guy that works on Mac. If you have any questions or need any help just ask.

I have been running the Time Machine. But being the paranoid person that I am, I would want another back up before I do a hard reset as I'm calling this. Hopefully they can help me with this tonight.

Kim

Have you gotten this worked out yet Kim?

Well Jeff, they didn't find anything wrong. They were able to do everything I couldn't. It seems to have straightened its self out for the moment. I'm moving files when I get a chance. Life has been getting in the way. Hopefully I will have enough files moved to the external drive and deleted from the laptop. I may have room for other photos soon. :rotfl2:

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts