mising child in brooklyn NY see if you can help *** UPDATE ** CHILD FOUND

My best friends daugter has been missing since thursday she is 14yrs quiet and very sweet. She has a 15 yr old brother who has no idea where she could be. they have the same friends and attend the same school. She is very sheltered mom takes her to and from school everyday. we cannot think of where she could be nd are sooo worried. if you live in brooklyn ny please look at photo and see if you can help. thanks

Please help find Brittany Johns (brooklyn, gravesend, John Dewey HS)

If anyone would like to make and distribute fliers to help this missing child. today is national missing children's day and this young girl is missing since this Thursday. She is a sweet kid. Please help us.

Please help us find Brittany Johns 5'1" 95 lbs, Brown Eyes, Black Hair. Last seen wearing black and white sweater with a black teeshirt on top, blue jeans and gray timberlands, and carrying a My Chem messenger bag. IF ANYONE SEES BRITTNEY JOHNS PLEASE CONTACT US ON THIS NUMBER 718-449-1548. Please forward to all your friends.

Please do not call the number regarding the fliers. We are trying to keep the line open for the police or tips . Thanks.

Last seen in Gravesend/Coney Island Brooklyn at John Dewey High School. She is 14 yrs old. If anyone can post this in other places please do, and forward around. She has been missing since Thursday. We are all worried sick. Thanks.

Brittany, if you see this we all love you. Please come home. No one would be upset with you. We just want you home safe.
DSC024151-1.jpg

SD.jpg
01150001160801040920080526ca42a1508.jpg

PLEASE COPY THIS AND POST EVERYWHERE YOU CAN. THANKS
I hope she is found but is this phone number or the one on Craigslist the correct one? I hope we can get the correct information out to help find her. Please check the number and repost for anyone who might have information on Brittany.

My prayers are with the family.

How frightening for everyone involved. Please keep us updated.

I hope she is found but is this phone number or the one on Craigslist the correct one? I hope we can get the correct information out to help find her. Please check the number and repost for anyone who might have information on Brittany.

Actually, I think the BEST phone number to use (for Brittany and all possible missing children) is:

1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678)
(24 hr hotline for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)

Edited after calling NCMEC:

All listings of missing children include "runaways" as well as those presumed to have been victims.

In fact, the DCJS websitesays that runaways are in serious danger and specifies that officers are required to immediately enter a suspected runaway child's name and biographical information into the computer network.

My apologies for assuming this was a hoax, but, the claim that the police weren't interested in looking for her supported that belief.

NCMEC tells me that they do have a report of a missing child who matches this description and that they are trying to gather all of the necessary information so that she can be included in their web listing of missing children as soon as possible.

I suspect the same is true of the DCJS web listing.

I hope that Brittany is found safe soon.

There are many instances where the police don't do all that they SHOULD because they assume its a runaway. Do a search on Zach Gamble and you will find a case of a teen who "fit a description" of a runaway despite his parents fighting tooth and nail for the police to do something to help find him knowing that he did not run away.

I hope Brittany is found. I wish I was closer to NY to help!

There does not have to have a vehicle. There has to be evidence that the child is at risk of bodily harm and it has to be an abuduction. There does have to been sufficent descriptive information so that there is some information given out to the public. To make sure the process is not overloaded and people become complacent on the alerts, there are strict guidelines when this can be used. I manage a law enforcement dispatch and before we can issue an Amber Alert we have to submit a request to the department of justice. All states comply to the same amber alert guidelines.

Believe me, if the police could they would put an alert out for her, but the must not be enough evidence at the moment.

The police still put all missing persons (no matter why or how they are missing) into the NCIC system that is used by all law enforcement agencies in the country. The police department probably also put a APB out to all New York state and the surrounding states indicating that she has been entered into the system and for officers to keep an eye out for her. This is probably more information than you wanted, but hope it clarifies some unanswered questions.

I hope she is found soon. Your friends are in my prayers. This is a parents worst nightmare.

the number on craigslist is her parents number and one ad has my cell number.

while giving out flyers today 2 teenage girls were postive that they saw her in coney Island, brooklyn. she described her down to the outfit she was wearing. hearing that we feel a tiny bit better that is alive and most likely ok. the police were notified and her dad and family members went looking for her but did not find her. tomorrow school will reopen and hopefully there might be some leads.

I know it is so strange I Know of a few people who went thu this Thank God all these kids were found.

I have known some who had to fight tooth and nail and some who went on right away. It depends on the officer I guess as to how fast they go on the list. Or the person you contact to have an amber alert or missing child listed.
Some people who work the missing child and amber alert are people who have had a child missing or is missing so sometimes it is easier then not to put a child on the list.

A child is a child and sometimes every min. counts and when the child is found with in days or hours that is a good thing better to be safe then sorry if you ask me.

Have you contacted Fox5ny? They put anything on the air and I can't imagine that they wouldn't post the picture of a girl missing in the area to help locate her.
My hope is that something turns up today. I will send it to DH who works with a woman from Brooklyn in that same area and she has a 14 year old son- maybe he has seen her? I'll ask.

Good luck and I hope she turns up today- I am also hopeful that she is just a runaway. But for crying out loud it makes me crazy that that isn't important enough for the police.

I thought if you were missing for 48 hours a missing person's report can be filed? Then at least her info is in the system.

And from the nypd website
How long do I have to wait before I report someone missing?

There are several ways you can report someone missing depending upon the circumstances. For example, if you become separated from a child in a crowd, you can notify a police officer or call 911. In non emergency cases you may wish to visit your local police precinct. It is helpful if you can provide a recent picture of the missing person and a description of what the individual was wearing when last seen.
(I see how that is very non-commital though no real guideline)

There are many instances where the police don't do all that they SHOULD because they assume its a runaway. Do a search on Zach Gamble and you will find a case of a teen who "fit a description" of a runaway despite his parents fighting tooth and nail for the police to do something to help find him knowing that he did not run away.

I hope Brittany is found. I wish I was closer to NY to help!

I did Google Zach Gamble and the news article I found said the police believe his death was a suicide or an accident. Is there more to the story that was not covered in the article I found? :confused3

I hope Brittany Johns is found. I saw there are a Craigslist and a Facebook page for her. Do try calling the local news station and see if they will put her picture on - maybe even as they go to commercial or something. I have seen some local newscasts that will do that.

I hope Brittany Johns is found. I saw there are a Craigslist and a Facebook page for her. Do try calling the local news station and see if they will put her picture on - maybe even as they go to commercial or something. I have seen some local newscasts that will do that.

We had a runaway girl in our area about the same age a couple of weeks ago. The father called FOX and it was all over our local news. The station talked about the incident and showed pictures every 1/2 hour or so. (She was found by the end of the night) Hopefully this little girl will be found safe and sound! :hug:

My prayers are with the Brittany and her family. I hope she's found soon, safe and sound.

FYI, NCIC (the National Crime Information Center) which NY participates with, requires of its participants that any report of a missing person be entered ASAP into the NCIC Missing Persons File. The ask that it be done immediately but allow up to 2 hours since, in some cases, not enough descriptive info is available right away. They do NOT allow their participants to wait 24 hours or any other amount of time. IF a state, municipality or department does not comply with this they may be subject to disciplinary action by NCIC. So for future reference, if anyone has to report someone missing and is told they have to wait tell them NO. NCIC requires the entry to be made immediately, and don't back down!

we had some progress gettting her info out. 1010 wins radio station will broadcast it today via our request and we got her on this brookyn ny site http://hellobrooklyn.com/ that gets over 700,000 hits a month. I thought the police would do this because the TV stations said they couldn't do anything for us and that if their is a missing child the police has to request to put it on. I also emailed a brooklyn ny newspaper. I told her mom about the other agencies.Her mom has faith that the police or doing their job. I am way more sceptical. they did not tell us to call anywhere else. we are hoping that if she did leave on her own free will today would be the day she would come back. its raining here in brooklyn and everyone is back to work and school.Her mom and dad are going back to her school to see what they can find out there.

http://hellobrooklyn.com/

My prayers are with the Brittany and her family. I hope she's found soon, safe and sound.

FYI, NCIC (the National Crime Information Center) which NY participates with, requires of its participants that any report of a missing person be entered ASAP into the NCIC Missing Persons File. The ask that it be done immediately but allow up to 2 hours since, in some cases, not enough descriptive info is available right away. They do NOT allow their participants to wait 24 hours or any other amount of time. IF a state, municipality or department does not comply with this they may be subject to disciplinary action by NCIC. So for future reference, if anyone has to report someone missing and is told they have to wait tell them NO. NCIC requires the entry to be made immediately, and don't back down!

how can i make sure she is on there?

I live in Brooklyn not too far from there. If you need any help, please let me know.

I live in Brooklyn not too far from there. If you need any help, please let me know.

thanks I will let you know. We are hoping today is the day.we figure if she indeed left by her own free will everyone will be back on their regular schedule and she also has school. hopefully hopefully. we are really hoping the info yesterday was accurate. I am more doubtful then the family beacuse i have seen a shows on tv where the test the eye witness accuracy and they have someone come in and pretent to rob someone etc and most of the eye witness can't decribe the person or describe the wrong person.

Have her parents ask the officer who took the report if their daughter was "entered into NCIC as a missing person". If they are unsure of his answer ask to see the NCIC missing person report printout. If they don't get cooperation they should ask for a supervisor.

This probably should be posted on the Community Board, too, where it will reach more people.

Prayers that this child is found quickly.

I grew up in Brooklyn, btw, man do I miss it!

we had some progress gettting her info out. 1010 wins radio station will broadcast it today via our request and we got her on this brookyn ny site http://hellobrooklyn.com/ that gets over 700,000 hits a month. I thought the police would do this because the TV stations said they couldn't do anything for us and that if their is a missing child the police has to request to put it on. I also emailed a brooklyn ny newspaper. I told her mom about the other agencies.Her mom has faith that the police or doing their job. I am way more sceptical. they did not tell us to call anywhere else. we are hoping that if she did leave on her own free will today would be the day she would come back. its raining here in brooklyn and everyone is back to work and school.Her mom and dad are going back to her school to see what they can find out there.

http://hellobrooklyn.com/

I hope they find her soon safe and sound::yes:: I can't imagine the parents heartache. You are a good friend getting the word out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter