Mini trip report - first family trip from the east coast

Dr.Mickey

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone. Thank you to this board (and especially Hydroguy’s Maxpass guide) for helping us along.

This was our first DLR trip as a family (I had a solo business trip 1 week before Cars Land opened). We were there for 3 full days June 21-23, the last week of SW reservations. We then drove up to Sequoia and Yosemite, and I plan a full trip report soon. There are 5 of us, including boys age 15, 12, 12. Here are my quick thoughts on DLR, especially compared to our home park WDW.

- The weather is awesome. It is hard to emphasize just how much better it is than WDW, and how much that affected our enjoyment.
- We stayed at DLH, and we loved it. I loved the music in the lobby, the historic photos, roaming characters, the headboards, etc. It was a great stay.
- Downtown Disney is much more charming than Disney Springs. And my wife, who gets nervous about security sometimes, loved that it is inside of the security check bubble.
- Maxpass is worth the money, and I will be sad having to use FP+ again. Loved the spontaneity. We got everything we wanted.
- SWGE was just ok for us. When I asked the boys about their favorite things, they listed Guardians, Incredicoaster, all 3 mountains and Soarin ahead of SWGE. Not exactly a rousing endorsement.
- We were stunned to see roaming characters in the park. Very fun! We even got to see Marry Poppins and Bert ride the carousel!
- Mr Toad is one very weird ride that I did not remember correctly from my childhood. We need more rides about Frogs getting convicted in court, run over by trains, and going to hell!
- I still love my ToT in Florida (don’t touch it), but Guardians was an awesome overlay. So much fun!
- Please keep the old Soarin!

Comparing WDW and DLR - we still love AK and Epcot, but DLR will now be a part of our Disney rotation. What a great place!

Thanks again, and I can chat about anything you would like.

Glad you had a wonderful time. I just look at WDW and DL as 'different, but the same' and enjoy both of them. DL will always be first in my heart as I 'grew up there', but WDW has an (almost) equal place in my heart now.

Aren't we lucky to have them both?

Glad you had a wonderful time. I just look at WDW and DL as 'different, but the same' and enjoy both of them. DL will always be first in my heart as I 'grew up there', but WDW has an (almost) equal place in my heart now.

I do have a bit of a funny to add. Of course, one of the biggest complaints you will hear from some WDW people is that the castle is so small. Well, it is... But that became our family joke every time we finished the next awesome thing. After riding Hyperspace Mtn, which blows away the one at WDW, it was “yeah, but the castle is small”. RSR is an awesome ride, but the castle is small. What’s great is that we LOVED the fireworks, especially Nemo trying to go through the ring of fire. And of course, that is right under the “small” castle. I think the best thing about the small castle is that our room in DLH had a picture of Walt standing under the castle. I think that’s good enough for me. :)

Great story about the “small castle”...and photo of Walt adds some perspective! I can still remember our first family trip to DLR when my girls were 6 and 4. Coming down Main St. the first morning our girls were SO EXCITED to see Sleeping Beauty’s castle it almost put my wife and I in tears!
Glad you had a great visit out west! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Loved your trip report and the sharing of your families stories! And, I’m so happy to finally hear that someone else prefers Soarin’ Over the World! Me too!

I do have a bit of a funny to add. Of course, one of the biggest complaints you will hear from some WDW people is that the castle is so small. Well, it is... But that became our family joke every time we finished the next awesome thing. After riding Hyperspace Mtn, which blows away the one at WDW, it was “yeah, but the castle is small”. RSR is an awesome ride, but the castle is small. What’s great is that we LOVED the fireworks, especially Nemo trying to go through the ring of fire. And of course, that is right under the “small” castle. I think the best thing about the small castle is that our room in DLH had a picture of Walt standing under the castle. I think that’s good enough for me. :)
So glad you and your family had a great trip! We love that photo of Walt and his castle! The size of SBC makes much more sense when you realize that at DL, the Matterhorn is our visual focal point, not the castle. We are used to getting our visual bearings from that snow capped peak. And when you stand back and see SBC with the Matterhorn rising up behind, things make sense. Because how many castles do you know that are bigger than an alp?! :)

(HT: Google)

We are very lucky to have them both! Very well said fellow Disney lover.:earsboy:

Hello everyone. Thank you to this board (and especially Hydroguy’s Maxpass guide) for helping us along.

This was our first DLR trip as a family (I had a solo business trip 1 week before Cars Land opened). We were there for 3 full days June 21-23, the last week of SW reservations. We then drove up to Sequoia and Yosemite, and I plan a full trip report soon. There are 5 of us, including boys age 15, 12, 12. Here are my quick thoughts on DLR, especially compared to our home park WDW.

Thanks again, and I can chat about anything you would like.

Like you we are also from the East Coast and last Aug I did a daddy daughter trip with my 9yo and we are going back this year with DW. We are begining the trip in the DL are planning on doing Sequoia at the end of the trip and can't wait to read about it. Anything you recommend/suggest there such as any drives to do and sites to see and those to avoid if any? Our plan is to get to Sequoia on Sunday late morning/noon time and head back to LA Tuesday. We are staying in Three Rivers.

Thanks

Last edited:
It sounds like you had an awesome trip!

I have that photo of Walt hanging in my house, actually, and it's such a great one. Photos of Walt in Disneyland are my fave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter