Mini TR - A Salute to Florida, But to Mostly Portofino Bay Hotel

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
With apologies to Sam Eagle lol

I & DH are frequent visitors to Orlando. This trip was a mom-middle DS trip that we finally were able to firm up. One of the football teams he coaches had a national championship game in Daytona Beach. Seemed like a good idea to wrap a trip around it. He hadn't been to the area in some time due to life/work responsibilities, thusly, I wanted to cross off lots from his bucket list.

Was nice we were able to coordinate the trip to also meet up a few days @ Universal with my oldest DS & family who were @ WDW beforehand.

Starting off with pics just from iPhone, awaiting return of my camera memory cards from DS to upload lol. Will try to flesh out the initial posts @ that point.

January 5th

We caught last direct flight out of PIT into MCO. It started to snow on the way to the airport, was interesting as the salt trucks hadn't treated the roads yet. Plane needed to be de-iced a few times but we arrived on schedule. Unfortunately, Alamo had few vehicles available in mid-size category I booked. Wound up stuffing luggage into a Fiat 500. A poor choice as we wound up lugging in all our gear each of the four stops as I just wasn't comfortable with it sitting in a hatch back.

Stayed @ the newish Hampton Inn near Sea World. A very nice property, moreso as it was only $67+ a night and included a breakfast buffet and Sea World Quick Queue tickets! Note that the Quick Queue tix can be reserved the day prior to your visit to Sea World via inquiring @ the front desk.

January 6th

After breakfast we loaded up the car and headed over to Sea World. Was nice to be able to take advantage of their January AP promo of a guest free. Was able to print the tix @ home. Did need to visit the kiosks to exchange our printout for actual Quick Queue tix though.

Even though it was a relatively slow day there, the lines for Makko and Penguins (finally the ride was running when I was there - yea!) were long. Nice perk to have IMO.

We had a long day ahead of us, agreed to go slow and smell the roses. Poked around the exhibits then headed over to Arctic area. Was surprised to basically have the area to ourselves. Didn't pick up until the movie started to run @ 11 am.

When we came out of the building were suprised to see several helicopters hovering over the Shamu Stadium. It became rather irritating after a half hour and we started to wonder if something was wrong. Quick check of phone & were saddened to see that Tilikum had passed, despite knowing he was ill for some time. Politics aside, IMO it was incredibly ghoulish & possibly dangerous for the news copters to hover for so long trying to catch a glimpse.

Here are pics of two that were @ opposite ends of the stadium @ the same time. Just didn't seem safe to me.

Also, rather Surprised no statement was made to the crowd prior to or during the show

Last edited:

This was a huge hit with my DS. Glad to see the penguin who had needed to wear a coat our last visit in October had grown back her feathers and was now busy socializing

Did do the 3 feeding option, always fun

Last edited:
Am I the only one who giggles everytime she sees the Kraken?

Opted out to ride purely to take this picture:rolleyes1

Sad to see the Atlantis ride wasn't operating, nor the sky tower (expected) or pearl divers. Temps not that cold, not sure if a factor or not.

Both of us were still not hungry after indulging in an ample breakfast. Had planned on stopping somewhere outside the park for a quick bite on way to our next hotel stop, Universal's Portofino Bay Hotel. Received a panicky call from my DIL saying that our suite that was guaranteed was no longer available and we were being moved to a room in the Villa section of the property.

Not only did I want to avoid that long of a walk to pools/boat dock but I admit to not wanting to be squished in a hotel room with 4 other people, not even @ PBH! I called up and was told they were sorry but nothing could be done. Sigh Told my DIL to not take possession of the room until we arrived and I spoke to the front desk staff. Fast food could wait @ this point.

I am here! Got to feed a fish to that big guy. That walrus was born at SW, and man, seeing him come down the hallway, 1400 pounds.

Great pictures. And great rate for the hotel too. We paid double over Christmas. Really liked it, and weather was mostly gorgeous. All three you mentioned as closed in SW were also closed during our visit. I guess even with 70 degree days, no one wanted to get wet. DD got twin pearls. Earrings being made with them by our jeweler. She got an eight inch one at Disney Springs.

Carry on.....

Yay.......

Love the picture of your boy on Kraken!

Weather looks glorious Janet.......nice to be able to wear shorts in January.........looking forward to your Portofino part of the trip..........

Yay :yay:

Just what I needed to procrastinate about doing something useful today like cleaning the house.

Great start :thumbsup2

Always happy to help the cause lol

I am here! Got to feed a fish to that big guy. That walrus was born at SW, and man, seeing him come down the hallway, 1400 pounds.

Great pictures. And great rate for the hotel too. We paid double over Christmas. Really liked it, and weather was mostly gorgeous. All three you mentioned as closed in SW were also closed during our visit. I guess even with 70 degree days, no one wanted to get wet. DD got twin pearls. Earrings being made with them by our jeweler. She got an eight inch one at Disney Springs.

Carry on.....

The picture doesn't do the walrus justice, it's huge...koo-kooka-choo lol.

The divers put on quite the show getting the pearls, hope the new upper mgmt doesn't eliminate it

Yay.......

Love the picture of your boy on Kraken!

Weather looks glorious Janet.......nice to be able to wear shorts in January.........looking forward to your Portofino part of the trip..........

Rarely do shorts make an appearance in January!:). This was our last nice day for nearly a week.

DS enjoyed being able to do repeats rides on the coaster but think the animal encounters touched his inner child. No matter how big they get, still your 'kids

That critter behind you (fenced in)
Makes you look like you weigh 90 lbs

I say frame that picture and display it in the living room

Ok, still waiting for the errant memory cards to appear, will plow ahead with what I have on my phone

I am long-time customer of Loews, platinum status. Wish they had more properties as I feel their rewards program is stellar and their customer service is top notch. Not to say I haven't experienced bumps in the road with them over the years. It happens everywhere if you travel enough. IMO it's how they resolve the issue that is paramount.

This trip I booked PBH, needing extra space to accommodate my party of five and allow some modicum of privacy. I booked a garden room and was guaranteed a parlor suite. That is why I was quite upset to be informed we would be sharing one room and one bath.

Rushed up to the hotel and saw rest of family with bell services in the lobby. Spoke to the desk and told all they had was the room assigned in Villa section or a minion suite (cute for GD, but wouldn't work for us). Manager was summoned and she finally indicated that the room assigned was "the Phil Collins suite"

:o
Oh
Excuse me while I slowly crawl away

Last edited:
Received a 1 BR Hospitality Parlor Suite

This is where our guests can welcome their guests. Ideal for casual social or business gatherings, the spacious 1,370 sq. ft. 1-bedroom Hospitality Parlor Suite includes a large dining table, kitchenette and expansive living space. The living room has a murphy bed that can accommodate two guests, has a flat screen TV and a desk area. The 920 sq. ft. parlor features a connecting 450 sq. ft. king bedroom that can accommodate up to three guests or a bedroom with two queen beds that can accommodate up to five guests.

Suite was on same floor as the lobby, down past the shops, hang a left, then a right; just a few minutes walk. Convenient to a staircase an elevator to the plaza.

Next few pics are video links

Walking in thru the double doors, the first few rooms. The Queen bed was wall version, was told it was very comfy.

Click on picture for video

Last edited:
Scene a bit chaotic, all were excited and GD was lobbying to hit the pool before dark, but you get the general idea...sweetest suite I've ever enjoyed!

Kitchen, DR & Bedroom/bath

Last edited:
Wow!! Janet........talk about hitting the jackpot!!

Beautiful rooms......and private patio too!!! Now that is nice! Nice being an understatement........

It really does look lovely and very spacious for the fam.

I am so looking forward to reading more!!

Wow!! Janet........talk about hitting the jackpot!!

Beautiful rooms......and private patio too!!! Now that is nice! Nice being an understatement........

It really does look lovely and very spacious for the fam.

I am so looking forward to reading more!!

Yes, really a special treat and so thankful for it.

Still embarrassed I was trying to talk myself out of it lol.

Feel free to post the videos in your picture thread btw. Hope I have some regular pics, was so excited can't remember if I took any or not

What a fantastic surprise in getting that suite upgrade !!!!

I know your family loved it

Wouldn't it be super to have that suite for all your visits........

Your video will be extremely helpful for everyone that is interested in the suites

Thanks for sharing !

What a fantastic surprise in getting that suite upgrade !!!!

I know your family loved it

Wouldn't it be super to have that suite for all your visits........

Your video will be extremely helpful for everyone that is interested in the suites

Thanks for sharing !

DH still hurtin he wasn't on this trip to enjoy it but will be getting the bill lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter