Military rate policy change.....

Don't some 100% Vets have an ID card that effectively says retired?

That was my understanding of things. So if true, wouldn't they be eligible?

I have a friend 100% but he hasn't gotten his card yet. No reason for him to have it here so he hasn't made the drive yet...

Yes, this is what JediJill and I were talking about. According to the link she posted most service members who are 30% or more disabled should be considered retired. So yes, 100% should be. I don't know where you are or how far it is for him but showing a military ID card can give many discounts. We get discounts all over the place. Just yesterday DH got 15% off at a kitchen supply store!

I have a friend 100% but he hasn't gotten his card yet. No reason for him to have it here so he hasn't made the drive yet...

My friends father is 100% disabled and he did qualify for the discounts. I do think you have to be 100% disable for this to be true.

Just remember that military retirement and VA disability are not the same thing - I can't tell from your post whether the vet is 100% with VA or military. You get military retirement with a 30% disability, but the criteria is different than your ratings from the VA (military puts you on medical leave for very specific conditions and only those are rated, where the VA rates all of your conditions that arose during your time of service).

My DH was wounded in Iraq. Initially put on Temporary Disabled Retirement from Army at 30% (so he was given a "retirement" ID but it had an expiration date, it was treated as any other military retired ID - we were able to use this for discounts on DCL and at WDW). After 5 years (the longest you can be on temporary) he was awarded Permanent Disabled Retirement at 60%. The Army issued him a "retired" ID (now with no expiration date) - is the same as any other retirement ID, you don't know it was because of a medical discharge. A VA disabled ID is not the same as a military retirement ID.

His rating from the VA is 80% but also unemployable so he receives 100%. This has not changed since his initial discharge when the Army only rated him at 30% - so the ratings can be quite different VA vs. Military

Now let's hope they change the policy back to not penalizing for changing a regular reservation rate to military rate, after the 75 day mark, like they do for Florida residents. Military should get the same benifit :)

AMEN!!!! I wish they could just transfer your reservation to the new rate. I would even be willing to take the difference not in a cash refund but a stateroom credit.

As it stands you have to cancel your trip, pay the cancellation fees, loose all your reservations/bookings etc. and if you are like me wait the three days for the money to be refunded so you can afford to rebook, and all you can do is hope they still have the rate available. It stinks!!!! :(

That is EXCELLENT news for our military families.... GREAT job DCL!!!! GREAT job!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 X a billion

This is great! My husband is returning from Afghanistan this week and we are taking the kids on the fantasy to celebrate next month. Next time he deploys I may consider just taking the kids!

Don't forget to book on board!! Good for you guys!

I wish they would include canadians....or at least Canadians serving with the US forces. Shades of Green does, but that is the only perk that is offered from Disney, for us little Canadians.

Does anyone know for sure what documentation is required at check-in for a reservist? The policy I read said military ID and active duty orders from the previous year. Does this mean a reservist needed to be deployed to qualify for the discount? Or, proof that the reservist is still active?

The military rates are really tempting...but the last thing I would want is to not have the correct documentation at check in.

This is such great news! Thank you DCL!!! I was very vocal about this last time my husband was deployed...I really wanted to take our daughters on a cruise as a little diversion, but without the military rate it wasn't an option. I was really disappointed and thought it wasn't right...that was a key time when the military discount should be applied, in my never-to-be-humble opinion! :rotfl2: So glad to hear they've come around!!!!:lovestruc

I am so happy. My husband is retired Navy but never wants to cruise and I could never get the military rate because he had to be with us, so now I can take advantage of these offers. :cool1:

I am very happy that DCL has extended this offer to military spouses. They also make both considerable sacrifices and contributions to the military way of life! Thanks to DCL for acknowledging this. :thumbsup2

1 Minnie & 3 Mickeys said:
Does anyone know for sure what documentation is required at check-in for a reservist? The policy I read said military ID and active duty orders from the previous year. Does this mean a reservist needed to be deployed to qualify for the discount? Or, proof that the reservist is still active?

The military rates are really tempting...but the last thing I would want is to not have the correct documentation at check in.

My husband is National Guard but AGR (on active duty orders). All he had to show was his CAC card. Since the policy states that orders must be presented, I'd bring them with you just in case.

alaskanabbott said:
Now let's hope they change the policy back to not penalizing for changing a regular reservation rate to military rate, after the 75 day mark, like they do for Florida residents. Military should get the same benifit :)

First, thanks to everyone who has served, no matter for how long!

I will (second, third, fourth...) this. We just changed over to military rate for our Dec 9 cruise on 3 cabins but lost about $1000 in deposits. Meanwhile, my Fla resident inlaws simply had the new rate applied to their reservation without having to cancel and rebook and didn't lose anything in cancellation fees. Still between our 4 cabins we have about $2500 in savings and we're all in balconies, whereas we had all Oceanviews. So not a big complaint, but a complaint nonetheless.

Luv2Diz said:
I am very happy that DCL has extended this offer to military spouses. They also make both considerable sacrifices and contributions to the military way of life! Thanks to DCL for acknowledging this. :thumbsup2

Amen!!!

100% agree. I don't understand why they don't also extend it to those who were honorably discharged and hold a DD214 (ala CCL, NCL, RCCL etc.). Even if it wasn't the same discount as active military receives, anything would be appreciated.

I agree my dad called a few years ago to see if his honorable discharge would allow him to stay at Shades of Green and they told him no he would have had to retire from the military. I guess they have to make a cut off somewhere.

I agree my dad called a few years ago to see if his honorable discharge would allow him to stay at Shades of Green and they told him no he would have had to retire from the military. I guess they have to make a cut off somewhere.

I believe Shades of Green is for people in the military. If you resign or are discharged, you are no longer in the military. If you retire, you are still in the military (just a different duty status).

Private companies (such as DCL) can have whatever policies they want. Shades of Green is operated by the government (DOD) and by law can provide their facility to members of the uniformed services and certain other categories specified by law (for example discharged veterans with 100 percent disability).

I think the law should be changed, because this country does not begin to thank those who served. Maybe Congress will consider changing the law someday.

My father served his country, faught in Vietnam, and was honorably discharged, yet is not eligible for Disney discounts. :(

My father served his country, faught in Vietnam, and was honorably discharged, yet is not eligible for Disney discounts. :(

Yes, unfortunately that is right. Your father served his country when asked to, however he served only for a year, two maybe four. While, some may have join with the intentions of doing their time and walking away but staying in for 20. Your father served for a short time while someone who is retired served for 20. There is also honorable discharge, general discharge, dishonorable discharge and medically retirement all which affect your life afterwards. Someone with a dishonorable discharge is what I call "non citizen" citizen. They lose alot of their rights, usually because they have been convicted of a crime. General discharge, future employers now look at you wondering what you did. Honorable discharge, is a good thing and not to be taken lightly. We know people who have had to fight for their general discharge to change into a honorable if they behaved for some many years. We have known people who have committed suicide over the dishonorable.

The discount that Disney offers is a privilege and something that we have taken advantage of, however we don't expect it nor assume we rate it because DH is in the military.

Yes, unfortunately that is right. Your father served his country when asked to, however he served only for a year, two maybe four. While, some may have join with the intentions of doing their time and walking away but staying in for 20. Your father served for a short time while someone who is retired served for 20. There is also honorable discharge, general discharge, dishonorable discharge and medically retirement all which affect your life afterwards. Someone with a dishonorable discharge is what I call "non citizen" citizen. They lose alot of their rights, usually because they have been convicted of a crime. General discharge, future employers now look at you wondering what you did. Honorable discharge, is a good thing and not to be taken lightly. We know people who have had to fight for their general discharge to change into a honorable if they behaved for some many years. We have known people who have committed suicide over the dishonorable.

The discount that Disney offers is a privilege and something that we have taken advantage of, however we don't expect it nor assume we rate it because DH is in the military.

I just want to note that no one asked him to serve, he volunteered. Though he probably would have been drafted had he not.

I do understand... my grandfather and great grandfather retired from the navy. I just know that what my dad did was honorable and he gets little to no recognition. :(

cypressmom said:
I just want to note that no one asked him to serve, he volunteered. Though he probably would have been drafted had he not.

I do understand... my grandfather and great grandfather retired from the navy. I just know that what my dad did was honorable and he gets little to no recognition. :(

I served for 4 years and was honorably discharged last year. I know things are different then when your dad served but I don't get much. I did get 6 months worth of Tri-care and a few years base privilege. The GI Bill is the only real benifit to me now. My DH is still active duty and that is how we still get discounts. And while discounts are nice that is not why we joined or why he is staying in. Many people honor veterans but it is not always in the form of dollars off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter