Mid july/End May

brockash

DIS Veteran
Hi,
We usually go every year the first week of Sept. It's great, minus possible rain, but due to new job won't work out anymore. We can go the end of May/beginning of June or mid July (12th-21st.) What would your preference be and why?

I think I'm most concerned about crowds and then weather. From what I can see it looks like end of May/beginning of June would be more expensive, so does that mean more crowded?

How much hotter is mid July, then end of Aug./first week of Sept.?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

According to holiday-weather.com, the average temperature in both July and August in Orlando is 92. August has always seemed muggier to me. You are more likely to get heavy rains, and it’s closer to the height of hurricane season. The weather will be a little nicer in May/June (less chance of downpours), but crowds from my experience are a little lighter in July. I would pick the week that works best for you.

Thanks, has anyone else been the 3rd week of July or last week of May that could give their experiences with crowds and weather?

I can't speak for the end of May, but I can speak for nearly all of June and July. It's hot...but you should expect that...it's central Florida in mid-summer. However, just using a basic bit of common sense goes a long way. For example, do indoor a/c attractions during the heat of the day, such as CoP or Philharmagic. Drink plenty of water. Summer crowds haven't been bad at all the past 4 summers. You may or may not get t-storms. We've gone 6 or 7 straight days with a passing storm every day, then again we've gone 8-10 days of not getting a single daytime/evening storm (they come overnight sometimes). It could be storming in AK and sunny in MK, literally.

We love summer in WDW, but that's just us.

We were there third week of July last year. It was hot & humid & rained for a bit most afternoons (typical summer weather). There were plenty of tour groups around but we had zero issue (no pushing, no cutting, no chanting). Just a bit crowded at the food court eating areas at breakfast (but still no issues). Overall, it wasn’t as crowded as I anticipated. Parks were open late & we definitely took advantage of that. We also rope dropped AK & EP to get on all the headliners either with FP or at opening. I absolutely would go in July again.

I've been the week after July 4th twice recently. The weather... it all depends on where you are from and what you are used to, IMO. It was hotter where I'm from in the midwest US than it was at Disney. The main difference for us is the intensity of the sun; the temp was cooler, but the sun will burn you faster. One trip we had afternoon showers off and on, one trip no rain at all.

The crowds were great both trips. I've gone Dec, Jan, Oct, and the summer months; after July 4th it was the most comparable to January. We almost had a whole walkway to ourselves in EPCOT. I will say that the tour groups swell in number in parts of July, but that mainly impacts the value hotels and bus lines for those hotels. Also, going right after the 4th probably gained us less crowds as the holiday goers went home.

I feel like whenever I've done to FL in the summer (July/August) it's just as hot/humid at home in new england.

Personally I'd like to avoid that time of year, but our next trip will be mid July 2020 because I'm going with a bunch of teachers.

If you can swing going in May then you get flower and garden at Epcot and likely better weather. So i guess it really depends on if you want to save a little money and deal with the heat or spend a little more but have better weather and a festival at Epcot to experience. If you are saving a significant amount then go in July but if only a little savings then i would lean towards May, especially if you haven't done flower and garden before.

We went last week of July this year.... and it was hot!!!!!! And thunderstormed most afternoons. Crowds were there, but was very do-able. We just took rest breaks from around 1-2 to 4-5 then headed back out after the rain. Since it was so hot, it was nice to go back to the room and cool down/rest for a bit. I would definitely go at that time again. Just expect LOTS of heat and rain.

Personally,I would go "end of May" just because we are such fans of the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival!!!!:)

It is our favorite Event of the year at WDW-Epcot looks SPECTACULAR and we love the Concerts!!!!:)

However,we also enjoy our July trips(although we greatly miss Sounds Like Summer!).

And,of course,The 15s are part of the July "scene":) at WDW and are not around "end of May",but I have to say,The 15s were the most "well-behaved" this past July as we have ever seen them(we go every July).

In 8 days,we only encountered 3 instances of extreme Chanting and NO instances of Chant Dancing.

The Super Greeters were doing a super job of "monitoring" any potential Chanting.

So,I would lean toward "end of May",but I think much FUN can be had in July also.:)

I've been at both times and I would say that weather is better in May (not as much rain and humidity but still hot), and you will see Flower and Garden at Epcot. End of May brings Memorial Day weekend which will bring crowds. Also, lots of schools start getting out that time of year/graduations and so I imagine crowds would be higher than in mid-summer. It's also more expensive as you already found out.

We have been in mid to late July and honestly, it's hot but I don't think it was anything crazy. Chance of thunderstorms/rain most days in the afternoon/evenings. The tour groups come in July. If you are looking to stay at a Value resort, keep this in mind. We would not stay at a Value again in July. I think summer time in general used to be the busy time and now busy time is shifting to fall/holidays. I would go in July again as I like the extended park hours, lots of extra day light and lack of special events/parties which means=less crowds!

We were there the end of May in 2017 but that was Pandora opening so it was crowded! And as luck would have it they had an unusual hot spell where temps were in the 100's. I was not a happy camper about that. I can deal with crowds a lot better in cooler weather. I get grumpy when I'm hot.

I can't speak for the end of May, but I can speak for nearly all of June and July. It's hot...but you should expect that...it's central Florida in mid-summer. However, just using a basic bit of common sense goes a long way. For example, do indoor a/c attractions during the heat of the day, such as CoP or Philharmagic. Drink plenty of water. Summer crowds haven't been bad at all the past 4 summers. You may or may not get t-storms. We've gone 6 or 7 straight days with a passing storm every day, then again we've gone 8-10 days of not getting a single daytime/evening storm (they come overnight sometimes). It could be storming in AK and sunny in MK, literally.

We love summer in WDW, but that's just us.

OMG!!!! That is SO Florida. Pulled out of my driveway one afternoon.....raining cats and dogs. I drive maybe 5 minutes up the road....COMPLETE sunshine! :faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter