Mickey's Backyard BBQ & Spirit of Aloha

Aurora0427

DIS Veteran
We are going for our 11th trip in August. It's going to be so hot, but we got a great deal at the Poly. Will Mickey's BBQ and the Luau be just miserable? I know the seating areas for the Luau are covered. What about for the BBQ? We are trying to do some different dining options this trip, but I'm worried because it's August! Opinions? Thanks!

(We live in Texas, so we are used to the heat!)

I don't recall covered for BBQ but it's been a long while. It's terribly hot and a very good chance of rain to boot... I suppose you ve done Hoop Dee Doo... such fun!!

I'm not sure of the times for the bbq, but the Luau has two showings, the later one starting at 8:15, so it should be a bit cooler by then.

I'm not sure of the times for the bbq, but the Luau has two showings, the later one starting at 8:15, so it should be a bit cooler by then.

That's an idea.... we'll have an 18 month old, but one of us could do the Luau with the 6 year old and one could put the baby to bed. Thanks!

I've done the Luau in August and it was fine. It is covered and they have fans running.
Can't speak for Mickey's Backyard BBQ

The BBQ is covered. Though Ive never been in Aug, I have been in early September. I usually go to both the Luau and BBQ and am never feeling the heat at either. It usually rains every day, late afternoon, for about 15 minutes and cools off.

The BBQ is covered. Though Ive never been in Aug, I have been in early September. I usually go to both the Luau and BBQ and am never feeling the heat at either. It usually rains every day, late afternoon, for about 15 minutes and cools off.

Thank you! Maybe we'll give them a try...... we are so tired of all the traditional character meals. Looking for something different, and my SIL and her family loved the BBQ.

Thank you! Maybe we'll give them a try...... we are so tired of all the traditional character meals. Looking for something different, and my SIL and her family loved the BBQ.

They are both really fun. The entertainment at the BBQ is better, but the whole Luau feel and Polynesian food is really unique (I cant get that where I am from) The Luau show is OK, but the ending is spectacular. Kids like the BBQ better as they dont have to stay seated and can run/sance around the dance floor with the characters. They are both fun in their own way. The one show I will not go back to, but gets rave reviews is the HDDR. IMO, the show and food are mediocre at best. We went twice in about 15 years and that was probably one time too many!

Love the Bbq! We have done it spring, summer & late fall and never had an issue with it being too hot or cold. It is in a covered pavilion with fans.

I agree Disney1975, HDDR is much over rated. We did it once and no one has wanted to go back again where as MBYBBQ is requested every trip.

Love the Bbq! We have done it spring, summer & late fall and never had an issue with it being too hot or cold. It is in a covered pavilion with fans.

I agree Disney1975, HDDR is much over rated. We did it once and no one has wanted to go back again where as MBYBBQ is requested every trip.

I've looked at the HDDR, and it's so not for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter