• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MICKEY & US. Day 7 - But nobody knows we're here!

Poohshoney

<font color=6666CC>Ya-ya sister!<br><font color=gr
Carol (40, British) – dangerously Disney obsessed.
Roland (35, German) – puts up with me somehow.

Mickey – our beanie, on his first trip `home´.

Much as we were looking forward to Riverside, leaving CBR wasn’t easy. Luckily Roland’s very understanding about how attached I get to inanimate objects so he doesn’t laugh at me when I go round saying goodbye to everything. Nice man! I sadly packed and then we went and refilled our mugs for the last time. We'd found them a bit garish at first but they’d grown on us – they’re on prominent display in the kitchen and now seem like a wonderful blaze of colour. Then we went and sat on our beach for the last time. I drank as slowly as possible but there was no putting it off any longer – or was there? I reminded Roland we still hadn’t tried out the hammocks. That was probably because Roland didn’t really want to but to cheer me up he said he would. Big mistake – we're such different sizes that getting in was difficult, getting out again was nigh on impossible! But at least it made us giggle so we left CBR with a smile on our faces.
Riverside’s car park looked suspiciously full but we needn’t have worried. I don't know what the capacity was that week but it was nowhere near full. We checked in at about 11:30 and the big surprise was that our room was ready! We hadn’t expected that at all. Mike checked us in and he was so nice. He wanted to know if we’d driven from Germany and whether that was why our honeymoon was so late – we’d been on the road for six years!
Again, we drove anxiously to our room, wondering what it would be like. Had Matt (from yesterday) given us what we’d asked for? Yes he had! We were in room 4032 in Acadian House – a quiet top floor room with a lovely view of the magnolia trees and fountain beyond. Later Riverside strolls proved that it was indeed the most perfect location for us. Thanks Matt!
The room seemed just a little tired after the newly refurbished CBR one but that wasn’t surprising. We liked it a lot though. Roland lounged on the bed reading the info whilst I unpacked (I do all the packing and unpacking and no sane person gets in my way when I'm doing it!). I'd just nicely finished and plonked myself down when there was a knock at the door. We looked at each other mystified. Who could it be? Nobody knows we’re here. But we were wrong, somebody did know we were there – Mickey! When I opened the door there was a CM with some balloons and a signed card from Mickey and Minnie in wedding attire – “Congratulations! We hope you have a magical stay at Walt Disney World! Your pal Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse xxx” Wow!!!!! We were so excited, so delighted! Wasn’t that nice? Magic happens – we’re pretty sure that’s another thanks to Matt!
Our earlier unhappiness a mere memory, we set off for our second game of mini-golf – Winterland this time and this was my favourite of the three. It was unbelievably hot. And the cement/sand structures reflected it, making it even hotter. Did have one advantage though – it was so hot there was nobody else there! I loved all the fun figures and bad puns. Surprisingly, I lost again. But not as badly as last time. Maybe I'm improving? Wow – what a concept!
Back at Riverside we really appreciated the leafy shade. We decided to try out the food court and this time we were delighted – much better than CBR in all respects. Roland had a nachos salad and I had chicken strips with fries and we were more than happy with both. We also bought new mugs – these are our favourites of the ones we’ve seen. And we enjoyed the walk to and from the food court just as much as the one at CBR. We loved the mansions, every one of them. Riverside has a sort of faded gentility that was just us – much as we’d liked CBR, Riverside rapidly became our favourite.
Next up were the chores – the washing! Being able to wash halfway through a holiday is a definite bonus for me – I'm funny that way. The laundry confused us a bit. We've never seen washing machines like that – but we coped. I'd brought washing powder from home so we threw it in and then went to put our $2 in. There were eight holes and four were blocked. They weren’t blocked in the other machines, we looked – what to do? Oh dear! In the end, we decided to put $1 in and see what happened.
Roland was beginning to feel the heat so he chilled out in the room whilst I nipped back to check whether the machine needed more money. Nope! It's the right-hand machine facing the door in case anyone’s interested!
But I did have a nice chat with a fellow Brit. She was there with her husband and two little girls and they all loved Riverside. She and her husband had stayed in Kissimmee ten years ago and it had been a commando style holiday. They were on-site this time as they knew the little girls couldn’t cope with that. They did the same every day – mornings in the parks, afternoons in the pool – the kiddies loved it! I wished I'd met up with her again as they were doing Discovery Cove the next day – I'd love to have heard about that.
Back to the laundry - I'd read posts where people had had trouble with the driers so I didn’t use them. I hung stuff on the line above the bath, over the towel and shower rails, on a line I brought from home and hung in front of the sinks and over a couple of hangers. When we went out we left the a/c on full and it was almost all dry when we got back. The few things that weren’t were dry by the morning. Perfect!
We took the first boat to Downtown Disney at 4:30pm. It was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Roland was delighted; I wasn’t. The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noted a distinct lack of swimming in this report - I feel the same way about water as I do about crawlies, maybe even worse. Muttering my mantra (at least we got a seat to ourselves – muttering has this advantage) we got on. As you can tell, I survived. And I have to admit, it was very nice. If they’d only get rid of all that wet stuff it would be perfect. We’d have liked a better look at the French Quarter but a glimpse was better than nothing. From what we could see, we preferred Riverside.
Downtown Disney was SO busy. We’d planned to have a look round it before going to Cirque (we were doing the 6pm show as we wanted an early start next day) but it took all our energy to push our way through the crowds – we never had a park that busy. The Lego Store was the worst – you couldn’t even get near the doors. We’re not sure why it was so bad. Admittedly it was a Saturday and Grad night was on but surely it was too early for those things to matter? Things were quieter at the Cirque end and we joined the queue – we were soon inside and in our seats - and they were good ones! In the front row of the second tier, just a little off centre. Now we’re divided on Cirque – Roland liked Allegria better but I liked La Nouba best. However, we both enjoyed both shows immensely – if you get the chance GO! It’s worth every penny/pfennig/cent! One thing I would like to know – are the Asian girls with the diabolos children or small women? When the lights were up during the finale they looked very mature.
We cruised the shops afterwards. It was still busy and anything with food was overrun. We went in The World of Disney – that place beggars belief! I let my species down completely – I don’t do well if given too much choice, my mind just goes blank. This especially applies to shopping. A wall piled high with beanies just results in sensory overload and I end up with nothing. My fellow Disneyholic Nancy is going to try and cure me of this lamentable trait if we ever get there together. Without her support I just backed out with my mind blown.
The queue for Ghiradelli’s was enormous so we never got to try the famous sundaes. The shop I'd really been looking forward to was the Christmas shop but the cinnamon perfume brought on my asthma so I never even got over the threshold. We would’ve liked a Mickey toaster or waffle maker but the voltage is wrong for us. All in all, I think Downtown Disney just wasn’t meant to be for us – we got the boat home. I liked it even less in the dark. I could hear the water but not see it and I like to know exactly where it is and what it’s doing. Roland loved the ride. Poor thing – he rarely gets to go on a boat. He’s very good to me you know.
We finished the evening with one of my favourite meals – bagels with cream cheese, bananas and Frosties! And we were at Riverside. It doesn’t get much better than that!

Next, Day 8 –Seaside and the Pops.
:wave:

Hi again Carol - loved this one!

You know there's something very familiar about the way you do things and your likes/dislikes . . could you be my long lost twin (except I'm a year older, oh well!).

That World of Disney store at DTD gets me every time. I get told to shut my mouth cos I'm dribbling - but, hey, what more could a Disney girl ask for:D

What a great trip! I've never been off-site to shop. Sounds like I haven't missed much.
It was so sweet of Mickey and Minnie to wish you a Happy Honeymoon even if it was 6 years later.
Maybe you and Mrs Dazzle are twins, It took you six years to go on honeymoon maybe you took a year to get born!!

Thanks Kaylee – we’ve still got the photo up!

Annie, maybe we were prototype test tube twins (that’s a real mouthful!) and I got left in the tube a bit longer!
:wave:

What a great surprise, pure Disney Magic..:)

Thanks again for sharing and looking forward to the next report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter