Micheal Kay's new video on You Tube, he is really mad about the navigators

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Micheal Kay just did a scathing video on DCL cutting out the paper navigators. For those who know who I am talking about, hardly ever does he do a video that is not positive. Boy did he let loose on this one. Go to You Tube and check it out.

I think Disney will bring back the paper navigators, as too many DCL fans are really mad about this. And it is not about reducing paper, its about reducing cost, $$$$$$$$$$ in DCL pockets.

I think they would be best served if people could just choose to opt in when they check in at the port. They would still be able to save money since there will be people who prefer electronic only, but the people who want paper would still get them delivered.

This seems like a reasonable compromise. I just completed the survey for our last cruise yesterday and made sure to note that we preferred to have the paper Navigators for several reasons. We picked them up at GS while on our cruise, but I missed having them in our stateroom each evening.

This seems like a reasonable compromise. I just completed the survey for our last cruise yesterday and made sure to note that we preferred to have the paper Navigators for several reasons. We picked them up at GS while on our cruise, but I missed having them in our stateroom each evening.
I just said the same exact thing

I don't mind if I can pick up from a pile at guest services, but no way should I have to wait in line for them. We need a paper one because my kids do not have cell phones and they're the ones who really want to know what is going on when. Every other piece of paper than comes into my stateroom goes right in the garbage, so I'm not buying any BS from Disney that this has anything to do with waste.

My 10YO loves the Michael Kay videos and has commented so many times that he never has anything negative to say about Disney. He's gonna love this one!

As he said, if it was about reducing paper why do they have so many flyers and promos and shopping guides?
The flyers and guides should also go away, but they are printed once in months - in an efficient press - and can be re-used.

These navigators - 1200 of them - are being printed every day using ship's inefficient printers. That's 131 million printouts annually for more than 300 ships in operation. Roughly equivalent to 44,000 trees - plus all the energy needed to print them. All when the information is already on your device.

Perspective.

I call it now, Disney will bring back the navigators. This is making almost all DCL fans mad. They do listen to their customers and I think they will revert this decision.

All when the information is already on your device.

This is actually the problem—that information isn’t available in the app in the same format. The video OP is referencing explains that pretty succinctly. The app interface doesn’t make it easy to see how events are happening in relation to each other. If a PDF of the paper navigator were available in the app, I’d be at least 75% less annoyed.

If a PDF of the paper navigator were available in the app, I’d be at least 75% less annoyed.

I agree with this, if I could pull up on my iPad a pdf that looks the same as the print version I would accept the change. We sit down the night before and the family looks at the navigator and plans out our next day. Can’t do that very well with the current format of the app.

Can’t they print the navigators prior to the cruise on a more effecient printer? They already know the program or does it change daily? And are they fishing shopping guides out of the recycling bins and redistributing them?

Micheal Kay just did a scathing video on DCL cutting out the paper navigators. For those who know who I am talking about, hardly ever does he do a video that is not positive. Boy did he let loose on this one. Go to You Tube and check it out.

I think Disney will bring back the paper navigators, as too many DCL fans are really mad about this. And it is not about reducing paper, its about reducing cost, $$$$$$$$$$ in DCL pockets.
can you post the link to the youtube

Can’t they print the navigators prior to the cruise on a more effecient printer? They already know the program or does it change daily? And are they fishing shopping guides out of the recycling bins and redistributing them?

The majority of items are planned ahead. All the big items are scheduled way in advance so usually those will not change. The common items also are scheduled in advance but infrequently there can be changes. Some of the less common and smaller events do change. Sporting events and some of the special items, like the crew hide and seek, are very dependent on where the ship is and what is going on in those 24 hours. Rarely there are things such as severe weather or other issues that change port schedules that re-arrange port schedules and all associated events. So there are even whole days need to re-arranged last minute.

The flyers and guides should also go away, but they are printed once in months - in an efficient press - and can be re-used.

These navigators - 1200 of them - are being printed every day using ship's inefficient printers. That's 131 million printouts annually for more than 300 ships in operation. Roughly equivalent to 44,000 trees - plus all the energy needed to print them. All when the information is already on your device.

Perspective.
Hmmm. Cellphones not really great for the environment either. And now having to constantly charge them on the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter