MiceChat is reporting there will be changes to DAS at Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have not read through this entire thread but I can tell you from my experience that many times the CM never looked at the picture on the card to verify if the DAS holder was riding. On the last day I did lose my card and had to high tail it back to get a new one. This upset my DD and DH but what could I do, we needed a new card and town hall is the only place to get it. We had to maneuver around a parade and thousands of people. I WISH they would electronically pair it to the magic band!!! Would have saved me on my last day nightmare. When I got the new card I told the guy we had a 2:00 return time for the mine train so he did electronically attach that to my magic band but it took him some time to do that. If they can figure out how to do this quicker it would eliminate the need for the paper card. Seriously, in this day and age to have a paper card is crazy!

LOL. You just said in your other thread that you'd prefer a paper card that allows you to bypass waiting, despite that fact that your daughter can wait, because it's harder to plan. If we're going to talk about "this day and age," let's not make light of the planning that millions of guests have been doing for years, due to lack of a paper card, and to account for your preference to skip waiting.

There should be no DAS period. When a person shows up at a ride and it is apparent to the CM that they have a disability, then that person and their party should be sent through the FastPass line. As for those with "invisible disabilities", until that person starts having a meltdown in line, it is the standard queue for them.

We all know good and well that those parents with children who have the slightest sensory disorder are "milking the system" and using their "disability" to skip the lines and this is what needs to stop.

There should be no DAS period. When a person shows up at a ride and it is apparent to the CM that they have a disability, then that person and their party should be sent through the FastPass line. As for those with "invisible disabilities", until that person starts having a meltdown in line, it is the standard queue for them.

We all know good and well that those parents with children who have the slightest sensory disorder are "milking the system" and using their "disability" to skip the lines and this is what needs to stop.

For any line that is wheelchair/ECV accessible, people with mobility issues only should wait in that line, period. If there is an invisible disability that affects the ability of the guest to wait in the line, then the DAS is the right answer.

Just because someone has a disability doesn't mean they should get to access the ride faster than the non-disabled, which is what you advocate for every time you come here to post under a different name.

There should be no DAS period. When a person shows up at a ride and it is apparent to the CM that they have a disability, then that person and their party should be sent through the FastPass line. As for those with "invisible disabilities", until that person starts having a meltdown in line, it is the standard queue for them. We all know good and well that those parents with children who have the slightest sensory disorder are "milking the system" and using their "disability" to skip the lines and this is what needs to stop.

"We all know..." - Speak for yourself, thanks.

Petty sure most people on this sub disagree with your idea.

What needs to stop is you picking fights with people on this forum.

That is horrible advice.

Meltdowns for autistic kids can take hours to come down from, depending on the severity. Avoiding these meltdowns in the first place is the kind of thing the DAS is designed to avoid.

This is a natural extension of your line of reasoning: another invisible disability that some get the card for is for medical issues that cause issues with needing to go to the bathroom at frequent intervals. Should they have to wait in line until they urinate on themselves before they're allowed to use the DAS?

Ludicrous.

[/b]Ok I have not read through this entire thread but I can tell you from my experience that many times the CM never looked at the picture on the card to verify if the DAS holder was riding. On the last day I did lose my card and had to high tail it back to get a new one. This upset my DD and DH but what could I do, we needed a new card and town hall is the only place to get it. We had to maneuver around a parade and thousands of people. I WISH they would electronically pair it to the magic band!!! Would have saved me on my last day nightmare. When I got the new card I told the guy we had a 2:00 return time for the mine train so he did electronically attach that to my magic band but it took him some time to do that. If they can figure out how to do this quicker it would eliminate the need for the paper card. Seriously, in this day and age to have a paper card is crazy!

Your experience there was different than ours.
In using DAS on 4 long trips since it started, the CM at the entrance to attractions did look at it each time we used it in order to verify that our DD, who was the one with DAS, was coming on the attraction.

In my 6 days at WDW in October they checked my photo every time on the nights we were there they looked at the photo with a flash light I was glad they did check and thought the DAS worked great

That is horrible advice.

Meltdowns for autistic kids can take hours to come down from, depending on the severity. Avoiding these meltdowns in the first place is the kind of thing the DAS is designed to avoid.

This is a natural extension of your line of reasoning: another invisible disability that some get the card for is for medical issues that cause issues with needing to go to the bathroom at frequent intervals. Should they have to wait in line until they urinate on themselves before they're allowed to use the DAS?

Ludicrous.

Why is the only option getting a DAS (essentially an extra FP) or urinating on yourself? Why can't they just leave the line if the need arises? Isn't that what everyone who has any medical issue or sudden emergency does? No one from the standby line would ever ride if everyone who ever potentially had to leave a line got a DAS. Which scenario sounds ludicrous?

And, how would the CM decide 'it is apparent that they have a disability'?

Most regular lines at WDW and Disney's California Adventure are wheelchair accessible and many people with visible disabilities are able to use the regular line, as long as it is accessible, so I don't know who would be left in your scenario to use the Fastpass entrance and why they should be sent right in.
And, what about situations where the disability is 'apparent' to one CM, but the next CM doesn't feel there is any apparent disability? People with disabilities would never know when they came to an attraction whether their disability was 'visible' enough or not.

And, since DAS is really meant for people whose disabilities make waiting in the regular line difficult. Most of those are invisible disabilities, so having a visible disability doesn't matter.

For any line that is wheelchair/ECV accessible, people with mobility issues only should wait in that line, period. If there is an invisible disability that affects the ability of the guest to wait in the line, then the DAS is the right answer.

Just because someone has a disability doesn't mean they should get to access the ride faster than the non-disabled, which is what you advocate for every time you come here to post under a different name.
True
I think that's the plan. Probably lower on the list than fixing MDE since it all works together.
I agree that the plan is probably to add DAS to Magicbands at WDW also.

Why is the only option getting a DAS (essentially an extra FP) or urinating on yourself? Why can't they just leave the line if the need arises? Isn't that what everyone who has any medical issue or sudden emergency does? No one from the standby line would ever ride if everyone who ever potentially had to leave a line got a DAS. Which scenario sounds ludicrous?

For those of us with illnesses that cause bathroom issues, we do leave the line when an emergency arises. I had several trips where my husband rode almost everything by himself because I kept having to leave the line. Then someone taught me about the then-GAC and now-DAS, which allows me to wait for attractions somewhere where I have access to a bathroom. You may find my symptoms ludicrous, but I would argue that not finding a solution for myself would have been even more ludicrous.

For those of us with illnesses that cause bathroom issues, we do leave the line when an emergency arises. I had several trips where my husband rode almost everything by himself because I kept having to leave the line. Then someone taught me about the then-GAC and now-DAS, which allows me to wait for attractions somewhere where I have access to a bathroom. You may find my symptoms ludicrous, but I would argue that not finding a solution for myself would have been even more ludicrous.

So only your reason for leaving a line is a valid reason to bypass lines altogether? Do people with illnesses that cause bathroom issues have special emergencies that others who wait in lines don't have? And their husbands should ride alone, but not yours? If it's important to ride together, why can't he wait for you to rejoin the line or leave the line with you? What happens when you have to wait in line elsewhere? Do you tell the store that you have bathroom issues and have to go to the front of the line? Why is it different to cope in a Disney park as opposed to anywhere else?

So only your reason for leaving a line is a valid reason to bypass lines altogether? Do people with illnesses that cause bathroom issues have special emergencies that others who wait in lines don't have? And their husbands should ride alone, but not yours? If it's important to ride together, why can't he wait for you to rejoin the line or leave the line with you? What happens when you have to wait in line elsewhere? Do you tell the store that you have bathroom issues and have to go to the front of the line? Why is it different to cope in a Disney park as opposed to anywhere else?

The problem is that there is no rejoining the line once you leave. You leave the line, then you have to start over again.

I don't see why anyone would care about someone with a disability waiting outside the line, so long as they're waiting.

The problem is that there is no rejoining the line once you leave. You leave the line, then you have to start over again.

I don't see why anyone would care about someone with a disability waiting outside the line, so long as they're waiting.
Very good point.
With that, I'm going to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter