Merry Mixer No More

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
DW and I went to the Merry Mixer this past year and had a blast. Being on Friday's, we planned on bringing grand kids down this year for a long weekend to take them since there was so much to do for kids!

Do you feel that the two dates for Midnight Magic is a better DVC benefit than the Merry Mixer? I obviously wished that the Magic dates added would leave the Mixer unaffected. Sad that we can't have both.

Who will miss the Merry Mixer and why?

Last edited:
I think it was time for a change. Free entrance into a park is attractive to many DVC members. And many more members can be admitted to a park than the venue for the Merry Mixers could hold. Plus how many members came into the mixer, got their cookies and ornament and left? We rarely hung around at the mixers due to the crowds, long lines and the noise.

Although I think that a larger number of members will enjoy Moonlight Magic events more than the mixers, that will not be true for all members. Some members will not be able to participate in the Moonlight Magic events because of the late hours, like families with young children or like myself, because the hours are too late in the day for them. Starting an event at park closure sounds way too late for me. And probably for many other members as well. I am hoping to get into a December Moonlight Magic Event because the parks usually close early in December.

We finally made it to a merry mixer this year (despite having been DW in early December often).

We weren't super huge fans- we would rather be enjoying the park. So, no loss on our end. I'm glad we finally made it to the mixer, got the ornament and Rice Krispie treat, apple cider.... but we left quickly. It was crowded with long lines for the character meets.

Bottom line- I'm much more excited about the moonlight magic. Granted, the late hours for the moonlight magic may be a challenge with young ones (for us, they are 3 and 7yr old), but it would be nice to be in the park exclusively (with other dvc members) the first hour or two, jumping on soarin, test track and frozen, before strolling back to bwv.....

Senior citizens here who will be staying at BWV during are happier with the present arrangement, provided we can book a place!

The mixer's time had come. It had been around for at least 12 years--we attended in 2004. Aside from changes in venue and other minor tweaks, it had barely changed over that period. The first mixer is fun. By the time you've been to 4 or 8 or 10 of them, you're only showing up for free Rice Krispies and ornaments.

Moonlight Magic may not be everyone's cup 'o tea, but I think it's an event with greater appeal than the Mixer. The hours may be too late for young kids and some older folks, but my teens had zero interest in the mixer. No event is going to appeal to all demographics equally.

Like another poster said, most people go to WDW for the theme parks & attractions. Let's not lose sight of just how exclusive this type of event truly is. We attended one of the Typhoon Lagoon events last year. Just being in the park after dark is special unto itself. Then add in the extremely short waits for slides, unlimited refreshments, character photos and other perks. This isn't just an Extra Magic Hour. Disney doesn't throw parties like this for Florida locals, Passholders or any other group.

As far as the Mixer they could just as easily have some rice krispy treats, apple cider and check your membership off for receiving an ornament at the member lounge or some other place and I'd have been happy. What I liked about it was it was an event that was offered weekly for 4 or sometimes 5 weeks so opportunities for more owners, but at the same time it was an event that was only offered once a week for 4 or 5 times during December so lots of owners who wouldn't ever be able to attend. It's still hit or miss with the new events but in spreading them out over the year it at least gives owners who don't go in December an opportunity of some sort to make it to one.

We enjoyed the Merry Mixer in 2014 & was looking for to it this year. Going the same time 12/16-12/27, 1st dates could change based on airfare. I was very excited about the Moonlight Magic until saw the date. :sad2: Seems like the dates are earlier.

I have not been on for awhile and had not heard the Mixers were no more. I am glad I got the chance to attend one a few years ago but honestly I do not think I would go back except to perhaps get the ornament. I look forward to hopefully attending the Moonlight Magic someday

All I will miss is the ornament. I hope they keep putting them out. I'd be willing to buy it from Member Marketplace. (I bought it on eBay half the time, anyway!)

DVC took away an event open to all and has offered events open only to qualified owners. Typical Disney, slowly reshape the guest experience to benefit them.

:earsboy: Bill

The elimination of the Merry Mixer doesn't bother me. I attended a couple of the Mixers and, although they were OK, the Mixers were getting too crowded over the years. I would much rather have access to Epcot for a few hours. I'll get to ride the attractions and DVC will probably offer the same amenities at the Park as it offered at the Mixer: free cookies, drinks, dance party, character meets. The only loss might be the lack of a Christmas ornament. Oh, and the Park nights are free. Unlike the Mixer, I don't need to burn a ticket day at Epcot to get into the Moonlight Magic.

Here is another way I look at this situation: Lets say that for the last 12 years Disney has offered Moonlight Magic nights throughout the year at several Parks. The nights are free -- no Park admission ticket required -- and we get to ride the attractions, plus get our free cookies, drinks, dance party, etc. Now, in 2017, DVC says its eliminating the Moonlight Magic nights. Instead, it is giving us the Merry Mixer. It will be held five times (just like the Moonlight Magic nights) but now it will be held only in late November and December. We still get our free cookies, drinks, etc., at the Merry Mixers, but we won't get access to any attractions at Epcot. Also, admission to Epcot is not free, so we all need tickets to enter Epcot.

How many DVC members do you think would like losing the Moonlight Magic nights for the Merry Mixer?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter