Menu for diabetics

chip1

Proud Owner of 400 BCV Points!!
Is anyone aware of food exchange lists for diabetics at the WDW restaurants? Thanks!

I am not. Not sure if this helps, but my daughter is allergic to eggs and peanuts. When making a PS, we have them note this and then they have us call the restaurant 7 days before hand to talk with the people there about menu selection. They seem to be very accomodating, the only problem is you have to know where you are going to eat ahead of time. They will do this for any dietary restriction.

Artuero suggestion is a good one and I would follow through on it.It has been my experience I have been able to eat a little more while at WDW I think it's all the walking.The extra food does not keep me from having good sugar counts.Have a great trip.:wave2: ::yes::

On our recent trip in october my son was diagnosed with diabetes 2 weeks before we left. He and his wife were very nervous about eating since it was all so new to him. We stayed at the BWI concierge and our planner, Stephaniw was great as were all the Inkeeper's Club cast members/ . Stephanie made a notation on all of his PS (and ours if they ate with us) that he was a diabetic. The chef would come out and go over the menu with him and at the buffets the chef would go through the buffet with him
Until I had to deal with it I never realized how helpful all of the chefs are with special dietary needs. Even the CMs at the lounge made sure he had breakfast items he could eat as well as desserts. They even had sugar-free chocolate covered strawberries for him to enjoy, although he can't eat as many as he could before!

Kerry, I will be bringing my dad who is borderline diabetic. We are staying at Poly concierge. I was wondering what types of things concierge offered you for breakfast that were OK for diabetics? I know he can figure out what to eat at restaurants and buffets, but the concierge offerings don't seem to me very conducive to his diet. He would love the sugar free chocolate though! I wonder if the Poly has the chocolate covered strawberries too?

chamonix,
They had sugar-free, low carb muffins, whole grain bagles and bread, one morning someone even got him multi-grain waffles from somehwere. I know the baked goods came from the Boardwalk Bakery. They also had delicious sugar-free cheesecakes. He had to limit this because of the carbs. The Innkeepers Club CMs are the best on property. I have stayed at other concerierge floors on property, but the people went way above and beyond as did our itinerary planner.

Thank you for the quick reply! I think I will call the concierge today and have them note his condition on the reservations, so they will have some of those things available for him. Thanks again!

The Polynesian concierge will make wonderful sugarfree desserts for you. Hadn't heard about the lowcarb, sugar free muffins but that sounds good, too. There are bagels and fresh fruit which both work well for the diabetics in my family as well as cold cereal and oatmeal. Dick in the Polynesian concierge is wonderful.

We've always counted exchanges for our son until about six months ago and it always went fairly well by eyeballing the servings. We are now counting carbs for our son and that was more of a challenge on our WDW trip this summer. I called WDW and as others noted they gave me the phone numbers of the individual restaurants to call for our upcoming trip. I'm really hoping I don't have to bother a chef to come out for each meal.

My 10yr old was diagnosised diabetic 2 weeks ago....I've made a note on our few PS's but I'm more concerned about how difficult it will be to get carb counts at the Counter Service restaurants....

BCV23, I felt the same way as you about bothering a chef and my son did not want to do that either. The chef's came out anyway, even after telling our server it was OK. I will say every chef was great. They say they enjoy being able to come out and talk to the guest. Some evne came out during and after the meal to see how everything was. I do know Jimmy and his wife returned to Cape May and LeCellier because of the chefs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter