Mentioning Off Campus Living in Phone Interview?

rhapsodyinblue

Earning My Ears
Obviously I'm getting a little ahead of myself but I wanted to know what everyone thinks about mentioning living off campus during the phone interview. I'm several years older than the typical applicant and am thinking of moving to Orlando permanently, though I'm hoping to start that transition with the DCP. I mostly don't think I'd mind living in the typical Disney housing setup but I'm hesitant because of my age, the fact that I don't like restricting my sister from staying with me while visiting, having to deal with housing inspections, and having to share a room again (which I'm kind of over at this point in my life). I'm still undecided but is this something I should mention if I get a phone interview? I don't want it to damage my chances of getting in though. Any thoughts?

My DD was planning the same thing. Working at WDW and staying in FL was a 4 year in the making plan. In her interview she didn't have to commit either way so left the door open. We went down 4 months in advance to explore housing options. Apartments were way more expensive than we thought and reality was she'd have to find roommates. She was coming in a college grad who had lived alone in her own apartment and even when she had roommates never shared a bedroom or bathroom.

After input from others she decided to live in Disney Housing. There were quite a few there older and one of her best friends she made was in their 30's. When she had friends visit she would use her CM discount to book resorts and they'd stay there - having a wonderful time and was a break for her too.

Using Disney housing means no expensive rent, no utilities, no big deposits on all of it and more flexibility on her work hours if she wanted some time off (since her bills were lower). DCP pay was not going to cover the cost of living in an apartment without 2-3 roommates so at that rate she might as well live on campus. After a year she determined it was not for her and went to grad school.

Last edited:
It won't damage your chances to mention you're thinking about living off-property - they'll likely tell you how to apply to live off property (there's a bit of extra paperwork to do this) but I can't see them making a hiring decision off of that. There are plenty of CPs who choose to live away from Disney housing so don't be worried!

However, I would echo a bit of what HopperFan mentioned. Apartments in FL can be super expensive unless you're willing to get some housemates and like most major cities, there are good and bad areas. I would definitely do some research in complexes in the area before committing either way - there are former CPs and other CMs around who can likely recommend some places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!