Menieres Disease with severe vertigo

mom to minnie&mickey

DIS Veteran
I am in the process of planning a 2 week Disney vacation for next Aug 2015.
There is a chance that a friend might be joining us who suffers from this. He has already lost most of the hearing in one ear but the worst thing is the vertigo. It comes on suddenly and severely to the point of him having to vomit and/or sit down for a bit until it passes. Some days he may not get symptoms and others have 3-4 episodes. Needless to say, the vomiting part is quite embarrassing to him especially in front of large crowds and tight spaces. I have told him about the DAS but since I am not even sure he would qualify I figured I would ask here so that at least he knows to prepare himself accordingly. Thanks for any insight as we have never travelled with anyone who is disabled.

If he needs to sit down suddenly I'd think a wheelchair or EVC would be the best idea, so he can sit wherever and for as long as he likes. With the DAS he'd still be standing 15+ minutes in the FP lines along with walking to each destination.

I have Meniere but thankfully most of the time I am in remission. You need to think about rides anything that spins is not a good idea or goes backwards. I don't think DAS is appropriate and agree with the above post a chair is a good idea if they need to sit down.
Jacqui

And bring a ziploc bag with you...they fold up, you can barf into them, and then seal them up and throw them out.

Skip Tea Cups and Prim-evil Hurl :)

I agree with a wheelchair or one of those scooters. My oldest DD suffers from vertigo and we are bringing a stroller for her just in case.

I'm not sure I'd want a wheelchair for a condition that has nothing to do with mobility, since it can be quite a burden.
I have a condition where I also can suffer from severe dizzying sickness,due to having many big operations on my mastoid.
I'd ask the doctor for some anti nasua medication like zolaf " ondansatron" it's a great long lasting anti-sickness which works great for this type of sickness.
There also are other medications to look into, even if not taken in everyday life,can be great for short spells especially if trying rides that could effect and exasterbate the symptoms.
Just to add I also find that just sitting doesn't always help you have to lie flat of have your head between your knees for these symptoms to clear, I don't think a wheelchair in a line will be any good, since you will have to be moving else block the line,as moving whilst in the chair when having these symptoms will defeat the point.

I also have menieres and am planning my first trip since getting sick. I'm hesitant to get a wheelchair or Ecv since the movement may make things more uncomfortable as tinkerpea mentioned laying down is often the best position to be in for the symptoms to pass which first aid would be the best place to go to id imagine since the hotel would be further away. I'm considering bringing a cane which isn't something I use in normal life but I tend to like having something to hold on to when out and about for long trips grocery stores etc. I am planning on frequent breaks and taking down days we are doing a 10 day trip vs our normal 7 day to make up for the rest days we will take during the week.

Last edited:

Hope you have a great trip. Good luck! We are finally going back Saturday but DD was not cleared to fly so we are driving 16 hours. We are still bringing the stroller and she 10 but happy that she is skinny.

Op I would go for the DAS explain that he had a condition that makes frequent vomitting a possibility, and the shorter the wait time, the better. you do not have to explain the diagnosis, nor do they need to hear it.. they only want to know your NEEDS as it concerns waiting in the queues. you could also rent a wheel chair if you think it might help. or maybe a rollator would be better. but I would def. go for the DAS. you only need to say what I bolded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter