Membership benefits and extras acknowledgement document for new direct purchases

PurdueTodd

Mouseketeer
Has anyone read the last 2 paragraphs? I bought at the end of 2019 and closed in 2020. I’ve called VIP pass holders, member services, my sales team, ticket sales., and cannot get an answer to my question. The statement basically says that the benefits are offered to new purchasers for a period of 3 years or less. That after that period they may or may not be extended. In the event that benefits can not be offered that are out of their control, the developer will provide something equivalent, type, value, etc.
am I missing something?? I’ve been trying to buy annual passes that cannot be offered because they aren’t selling them now. Shouldn’t the developer work with ticket sales to provide new members what they included to new purchases of membership??

Have you seen the new updated version effective January 11th, 2021.

It says they reserve the right to offer a substitute, but also it’s 3 years or less which could be the updated language.

It basically covers that these things can come and go. Of course, one could say that the new ticket offer was given as something since APs are not available...not suggesting it is an equivalent,

Bottom line is that it’s clear you are not entitled to perks and that DVD has no control when perks are suspended by a different division or outside company.

Has anyone read the last 2 paragraphs? I bought at the end of 2019 and closed in 2020. I’ve called VIP pass holders, member services, my sales team, ticket sales., and cannot get an answer to my question. The statement basically says that the benefits are offered to new purchasers for a period of 3 years or less. That after that period they may or may not be extended. In the event that benefits can not be offered that are out of their control, the developer will provide something equivalent, type, value, etc.
am I missing something?? I’ve been trying to buy annual passes that cannot be offered because they aren’t selling them now. Shouldn’t the developer work with ticket sales to provide new members what they included to new purchases of membership??
Is there are list of benefits at the time of purchase?

Have you seen the new updated version effective January 11th, 2021.

It says they reserve the right to offer a substitute, but also it’s 3 years or less which could be the updated language.

It basically covers that these things can come and go. Of course, one could say that the new ticket offer was given as something since APs are not available...not suggesting it is an equivalent,

Bottom line is that it’s clear you are not entitled to perks and that DVD has no control when perks are suspended by a different division or outside company.

Attachments

• 8FCBDB80-E39B-4509-9DA2-9D1D70B69813.jpeg
    8FCBDB80-E39B-4509-9DA2-9D1D70B69813.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 104
Is that something new? To be honest, I don’t think that was around when I purchased my contract direct 😅

Yes, it’s a 5 page document. Discounted AP’s is one of them. Language is noncommittal but leading non the same.
Well that is probably why you are not getting an answer, they know that they are not following the documents at the time of sale, which they can not simply change later for that purchase.

I think this goes a long way to explaining why DVC has been giving new annual passes sporadically.

My experience is that when they are out of compliance, if you are persistent they will eventually acknowledge the issue (without admitting fault) and comply with the terms

If that does not work you can always ask if this is the best way to get it addressed

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbp...eComplaintForm-090914-HANDWRITTEN-REVISED.pdf

Last edited:
That's standard timeshare law in Florida. They're required to use that exact text.

My last contact was with quality assurance. Waiting for a phone call back. Member services also suggested writing an email, which I did as well.

Is that the same document that you were referring to?

Yup. Again, it’s pretty clear that these are extra benefits and as such, can not be guaranteed, especially for ones they have no control over, like the AP. It is why it says do not purchase expecting them.

Well that is probably why you are not getting an answer, they know that they are not following the documents at the time of sale, which they can not simply change later for that purchase.

I think this goes a long way to explaining why DVC has been giving new annual passes sporadically.

My experience is that when they are out of compliance, if you are persistent they will eventually acknowledge the issue (without admitting fault) and comply with the terms

If that does not work you can always ask if this is the best way to get it addressed

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbp...eComplaintForm-090914-HANDWRITTEN-REVISED.pdf

They are not out of compliance because membership benefits are not guaranteed . The language even states can be eliminated at any time,

DVC has had nothing to do with who does and does not get an AP right now, It is controlled by the ticketing department, which is why that is who you must call to verify one is eligible, DVC can’t sell them.

Only DVC owners being given new APs are people who canceled during closure. Renewals for APs for everyone was never suspended

Last edited:
Yup. Again, it’s pretty clear that these are extra benefits and as such, can not be guaranteed, especially for ones they have no control over, like the AP. It is why it says do not purchase expecting them.
Well, the benefits are advertised in bold and in nice colors and big font in brochures - that they are not guaranteed is "clearly" in small print along with the rest of a seldom carefully read agreement. I guess it is like that with most things, so we should come to expect it.

They are not out of compliance because membership benefits are not guaranteed . The language even states can be eliminated at any time,

View attachment 553957

DVC has had nothing to do with who does and does not get an AP right now, It is controlled by the ticketing department, which is why that is who you must call to verify one is eligible, DVC can’t sell them.

Only DVC owners being given new APs are people who canceled during closure. Renewals for APs for everyone was never suspended
//////
"The statement basically says that the benefits are offered to new purchasers for a period of 3 years or less. That after that period they may or may not be extended. In the event that benefits can not be offered that are out of their control, the developer will provide something equivalent, type, value, etc."

This paraphrasing is what I see as problematic if it was supplied at time of sale. First it is in itself conflicting/unclear enough to possible fall outside of complaint consumer language and as such in conflict with POS language.

In the simplest terms language that can misinterpretation is an issue. If the intent was to have it cancelable at any time, including the 3 year language might be considered an attempt to create a misperception of a static period.

The language you posted in bold would not create a compliance issue (no timeframe listed) for purchases after it was used as part of sales, but would not impact prior purchases if there was an implied timeframe,

As a similar example the POS always had authority for change, but DVD was still locked into the free pass program until 1999

Last edited:
Eh after reading back through seems they have a 3 year term and then an out. Plus an out for the pandemic.

Now that I am thinking of it though it would seem to be questionable to provide a list of benefits that while restricted because of the pandemic were actually never provided to a buyer. So if they were to never bring back the AP offering as an example or provide something of similar value it would seem there would be some pushback new purchasers could have.

Also I would not consider the 2 days free (which you can get through a ticket reseller or through just booking at hotel room) to be of equal value.

Eh after reading back through seems they have a 3 year term and then an out. Plus an out for the pandemic.

The language that I posted indicated it could be ended at any time. The way I read the 3 years or less means that once you buy, you are eligible for 3 years providing it is still a perk. They can not exclude you during that time period as long as they are offering it, Of course, the words ”or less” means you are not given really any time.

Sorry, when people sign and agree to contracts, they should read them carefully and ask questions.

In this case, the current membership extras were suspended by ticketing for APs and DVD is under no obligation to replace it

Last edited:
The language that I posted indicated it could be ended at any time. The way I read the 3 years or less means that once you buy, you are eligible for 3 years providing it is still a perk. They can not exclude you during that time period as long as they are offering it, Of course, the words ”or less” means you are not given really any time.

Sorry, when people sign and agree to contracts, they should read them carefully and ask questions later,

In this case, the current membership extras were suspended by ticketing for APs and DVD is under no obligation to replace it

I would call in to question though a benefit having never been provided. They put lots of language to protect themselves which is normal but the benefits never having been offered for someone to take advantage of would seem to be something of questionable contract constructions.

I would also say 3 year or less is also a very questionable statement. A reasonable assumption would be that would mean 2 year and 6 months not 0 days of usage of benefits.

Oh well we will see long term anyways doubt that APs are going anywhere.

They are not out of compliance because being eligible for membership benefits is NOT guaranteed . The language even states can be eliminated at any time,

View attachment 553957

Parks are open, DVC can book rooms, passes are being renewed and sold. That paragraph you posted is part of the document. The last two paragraphs is the point that I’m making.

I didn’t buy with the benefits/extras being a component. It’s nice, don’t get me wrong. I did send to emails asking DVD to see if the can give an olive branch. The way I see it is that passes can be sold or renewed under certain circumstances right now. If these benefits are out of control by DVD, they should be able to work with ticketing to offer similar approved circumstances for DVC. I also asked about creating a DVC pass for members completely separate from the annual pass. I can’t really see capacity issues at the parks by incorporating something new like that.

Reactions: cm8

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!