Meeting characters as a lone traveler

BinaryRun

Has DLP Annual Pass
Hello everyone,

Before I write my topic, I just want to give a quick shoutout to all the members for this amazing board. I love browsing here, just never made an account and wanted to thank you for all the inspiration and great messages around.

I'm a 23y/o autistic (read social awkward) guy from The Netherlands who often goes to Disneyland Paris. I always enjoy myself there, but my big dream has always been to go to WDW and I'm finally going there in 59 days!

As a solo traveller I'm always nervous when it comes to meeting characters, especially female face characters and thus I never really meet female face characters. (Even though I'm a Tink & Alice fan, having said that, you cannot meet 'n greet Tink in DLP as they don't have the rights). Somehow I just have the feeling that female face characters will be a bit creeped out by a solo guy wanting to take a picture with them, which is why I never do it.

My travel package does contain Memory Maker and it just seems like a waste not to go on a picture with as many characters as possible and deprive myself of the fun. Since I'm a bit of a goofy person (who also happens to collect pins) I thought of something unique to do to help me get over the anxiety a little bit For my work I'm used to wearing a shift + tie. So I was kinda thinking about wearing a shirt with a Disney tie and then have some pins on the tie (instead of a lanyward) for trading and then ask the characters to sign the shirt. It will probably looks quite weird though, especially as I will be wearing shorts along with it due to the hot Florida weather at the end of May.

How do you feel about a solo guy meeting (female) face characters and could I have your opinion on the shirt+tie idea?

Thanks for any advice and of course this amazing community!

Aside from these things I actually love going solo, got all my fastpasses in the morning so that I can just do what I feel like the rest of the day, all week long. Going to be a great trip!

Last edited:
Last October I was by myself for about 2 days before some of my friends joined me. On my first night there and right after I got to MK, I had a FP+ for Tinker Bell. I did not feel that Tinker Bell felt awkward with a solo guy taking pictures with her. My interaction with Tinker Bell was probably one of my favorite from that particular trip.

My friends and I had lunch at Askerhus, in Norway at EPCOT. This is a Princess Meet & Greet meal. The various Princesses, except Belle, came around to the table. I was the only one in our group that took pictures with them. Mainly because this was my birthday trip. For Belle, you do the picture right after you get there. Her dress sort of prevents her from moving easily through the restaurant.

I did an entire solo trip to Disneyland last month. Right after I got in line for the Alice in Wonderland ride, Alice was right there and I got a selfie with her. Again, I didn't get any feeling that this was awkward for her.

Ultimately, it is up to you on how comfortable you will feel interacting with certain characters. If it helps you to do the shirt+tie option, then go for it. Now, one thing I do not know is if the characters are allowed to sign anything besides autograph books. That may the only issue I see.

Overall, don't worry about what other people are thinking. This is your trip and your memories! Have fun and enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 9
I can tell you that almost nobody will care that you are there solo and the characters will generally do a great job to make you feel welcome and have fun. It is unlikely they will get "creeped out" and in fact you are not likely to be their rudest guest on any given day. Just try to relax and not be too worried about it.

About the shirt, I do not believe they can sign anything you are actually wearing. I think most of the face characters will sign shirts and such that you bring to them, but "head" characters might only sign autograph books because it is a little more difficult for them to use a the pen.

Last edited:
About the shirt, I do not believe they can sign anything you are actually wearing. I think most of the face characters will sign shirts and such that you bring to them, but "head" characters might only sign autograph books because it is a little more difficult for them to use a the pen.

I think you might be very true there. I have seen pictures of characters signing shirts, but nothing that someone was wearing at that time indeed. Probably better as well, probably not very hygienic wear the same shirt the entire week that I'm visiting ;) I will do my best to find a very thick fabric pen for the full costume characters.

Appreciate both your supportive comments, makes me feel a lot more comfortable about it. Fun to read that you got a fastpass for Tink as well @wnwardii (Great pictures, especially like that selfie :smooth:). I was personally thinking about getting a FP for her as well, but I saw online that there shouldn't be too much of a wait so I'm going to wing it. (Might use a fastpass after the daily 3 for it though)

In fact, the support here even made me consider going for a character meal as I understood that not all of the characters show up in the parks.

In fact, the support here even made me consider going for a character meal as I understood that not all of the characters show up in the parks.

I have seen other solo traveler's eating solo at character meals. For those wanting pictures, either someone sitting close by offers to help, or they take a selfie. In some situations there may be a CM nearby that can assist.

Since you had mentioned Alice in your original post, you may want to consider doing the breakfast buffet at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. As per the WDW website, Alice is one of the characters that may appear.

I'm a 36-year-old socially awkward single guy, and I've never had any issues with doing solo character meets, including female face characters. They're so well-trained in their roles that they do an incredible job staying comfortable and making you feel comfortable at the same time. I've had some amazing interactions over the years with Ariel, Elsa, Cinderella, Rapunzel and countless others. And if you're doing a character meal solo, there's almost always someone at a nearby table who'll help you out with a picture -- and if not, the characters are always up for doing a selfie on your phone (or as the princesses call it, your "magic mirror").

One of the big bloggers - Josh @ EasyWDW does meet and greets by himself all the time. Definitely Acceptable!

It's absolutely acceptable and I encourage you to do it. I've taken multiple pictures with face characters and they where always very pleasant.

Years back I went around collecting character autographs on a tote bag, and my big recommendation for getting anything made of fabric autographed is to bring a piece of cardboard with you to put inside the shirt (or bag) when they're signing it. You could use a clipboard or any other hard surface, but I recommend cardboard because you can cut out a rectangle just big enough to serve the purpose and if it gets wrecked, who cares? When I was in line I'd get the cardboard situated behind the part of the bag I wanted signed and fold the rest of the bag back around it to present them with a neat, easy to sign package, and I never had an issue with getting a fur character to sign it. The bigger issue, frankly, was if I forgot to uncap the marker before handing it over!

I'm considering to dine at Hollywood & Vine as well, just like the idea of the characters in their Spring outfits. Does anyone have any experiences dining there alone? Especially with how much time I'll spend there? I'm thinking of getting a late reservation so that I can hop to Fantasmic straight after.

If you are concerned about what to talk about with the face characters, let your pin collection help -- i.e. show Alice your favorite Alice pin.

It's totally fine! The characters are just that... characters. You don't know the actual person inside the costume, so I'm sure it's not a big deal to them. They are friendly and used to taking pictures with all sorts of people. For them, it is one minute out of their day, but for you a lifetime of memories!

if you have snapchat, some of the characters got SUPER into the filters when i was there. the mardi gras filter had alice in stitches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter