Medivac from Castaway Cay

so that was dated today but said he wouldn't get to the Hospital until 730 pm on Friday, that doesn't make sense to me. :confused3 I hope the guy is ok.

I posted this on another thread, but it may be more pertinent here:

Hmmm....... I wonder if the date is wrong in the original post (article)? Neither one of the ships is at CC today (unless the Wonder had to change itineraries), but the Magic would have been there last Friday. Perhaps the date should be October 12, not 17.

The Coast Guard press release on this says it happened on Friiday Oct 5th. They got the call at 4:30pm and the guy was at the hospital at 7:30pm.

The date should have been October 5, 2007. Here is the article from the US Coast Guard site:

News Release Date: Oct. 5, 2007

(305) 415-6683

Coast Guard Medevacs Cruise Ship Passenger to Miami Hospital

MIAMI - A Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Air Station Miami is medically evacuating a 59 year-old man from Castaway Cay, Bahamas, and is scheduled to arrive at Jackson Memorial Hospital about 7:30 p.m. Friday.

Ronald Reczkowscz, a U.S. citizen, was reported to be suffering from a possible heart attack while visiting the Disney owned island today. Reczkowscz was a passenger on the cruise ship, Disney Magic.

Search and rescue coordinators at the District Seven Command Center were notified by Disney officials around 4:30 p.m. The Coast Guard helicopter was launched about 45 minutes later. The helicopter crew is also transferring a nurse with Reczkowscz.

ah hah, that makes much more sense. Thanks for investigating that for me. Again, hope he is ok.

We cruised on the 6th and the concierge told us the magic was late getting in because someone had a heart attack on CC and the magic had to wait for him to be airlifted out.

We were on that cruise 9/29-10/6. I think there were 2 emergencies at CC that day 10/5 - there was a woman who fell off her jetski (not too sure of the details) and then that man who had a heart attack. Yes, it delayed our departure from CC - I heard that we couldn't wait for the medivac any longer, so the ship left the man and his wife on CC waiting for the medivac?? That was the rumor.....
I do hope he's ok.

Gr00vyChc :hippie:

I was on the 10/7 Wonder, after leaving Castaway Cay we captain made an announcment that we'd be detouring overnight back to Nassau to drop someone off for the hospital there.
It was supposed to happen overnight and it was a 4 night cruise so it didn't effect any of the events.
I never heard anything more about it afterwards.
I suppose the only positive thing to take away is that it wasn't serious enough to require airlifting. Scary, very scary. Hopefully everyone is OK.
Jeff.

Poor guy!! How scary!!

My first thought was "I hope he's okay!!" and my second thought was "I hope he had insurance - that's got to be pricey!!"
:(

I was also on the Wonder when we went back to Nassau to drop off the injured man. We stood on deck 4 and watched him being unloaded right below us. An ambulance pulled up to the dock. They brought the backboard into the boat to load him. He had the full neck brace on and everything. His wife and a DCL disembarked with him.

Our server told us that he had heard it was a parasailing accident. He also said that the man didn't want to disembark, but the captain felt that it was too risky for him to continue. My server thought it was some type of fracture.

This was also our CC day. It's hard to believe that such a magical place could have so much tragedy in a two week period.

Wow and yike i hope they all were ok it sounds like there have been alot of tragedys at CC lately

Poor guy!! How scary!!

My first thought was "I hope he's okay!!" and my second thought was "I hope he had insurance - that's got to be pricey!!"
:(

Coast Guard doesn't charge. Private air ambulances do though.

We were on the ship October 5th when we had to wait for the Coast Guard. (Hi Pauline!!!) I certainly hope the captain didn't leave that poor man on CC. I read in a TR from that time that we pulled out to sea, waited there and they watched the helicopter pick the guy up at CC and fly off. I really hope that gentleman was okay!!!

Our thoughts and prayers for the man and his family.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter