medical exemption for liquids in carry on?

ZPT1022

<font color=red>DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>Dr
Has anyone ever heard of someone being allowed to bring liquids more than 3 oz past security due to food allergies and a resulting very limited diet? I have to avoid dairy, soy, gluten, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries, red meat, pork and mushrooms, so needless to say, finding food to eat is a challenge and there are not many places I can eat out. I also have blood sugar problems, so when I need to eat, I need to eat right away so my sugar doesn't drop so low I pass out.

If I have a letter from my doctor, will I be allowed to bring a small soft sided cooler past airport security? I thought I could pack some Naked brand smoothies, turkey and my allergy bread to get me through my mealtime, as well as snack and any emergency crash that might occur.

As you probably know, you are definitely allowed to bring the turkey and bread through security as they aren't liquid. Food items are permitted as long as they aren't liquids.

The smoothies for medical reasons I'm not so sure of. But if you can bring your food items (turkey, bread, and possibly some other things) do you really need to bring the smoothies?

Turkey and bread, no problem. Have you checked www.tsa.gov for restrictions on medical liquids? Have you checked to see if your Naked smoothies are available in powder form? How long is your flight? How much do you expect to need to drink? Will water (available beyond security) suffice? How long is your trip? What provisions have you made or considered for the duration of your trip? Are you prepared for TSA at one airport to consider X quantity "reasonable", but at the return airport them forcing you to leave a great deal of it behind?

You can bring all the solid food you can carry already-no note needed. Not sure why you would "need" to bring a smoothie. You can also buy and bring on the plane any liquid you want after security. Is the smoothie really medically necessary? Just skip that and you won't have any problems.

I brought 3 small bottles of danactive liquid, used for medical reasons. I put them in its own 3-1-1 ziplock bag, and pulled them out of my carryon and put them in their own security tray. The TSA agent held them up in the air and looked at me. I said medical nutritional supplements. They went thru.
My sis is on tube feeding. She bought 8 cans of her liquid supplements in a carry on and they swabbed all the cans. I guess it depends if they will accept your smoothies. My dannon was under 3 oz each.

The reason for the smoothies is that they are 100% fruit and good if I have a sugar low for a quick boost. I don't tend to get highs but I do drop really low really quick sometimes and I need to have something readily available that meets all the allergy needs as well.

My flight is only three hours but we need to be at the airport at least 2 hours prior, plus however long it takes to get through MCO, get on ME and get to our resort. I'm guessing 6-7 hours of travel time assuming everything is on time and running smoothly.

I hadn't thought to check for a powder form, that's a great idea. Thanks!

Water is fine for my main drinks, and I am nursing, so I will need a lot but I have no issue buying that past security like everyone else. The smoothies are more of a food than drink in my case.

Once we are at WDW, I have a list of places that I can eat safely, so that should be fine.

Hadn't contemplated the trip home, that's a good point. The smoothies are $2.50 each so while I wouldn't be thrilled to have to toss them, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd probably only bring a few anyhow (maybe 5?)

I appreciate the input, it's been three years since I've flown and a lot of these problems are new since then.

forgot to ask, what about ice packs? Are those considered a gel?

The reason for the smoothies is that they are 100% fruit and good if I have a sugar low for a quick boost. I don't tend to get highs but I do drop really low really quick sometimes and I need to have something readily available that meets all the allergy needs as well.
Okay, this is going to sound sarcastic and it's REALLY not - but, have you considered the actual fruit, instead? Even watermelon - 94% water, and lightweight in a plastic container without the rind - goes through with no problem. I know you're allergic to strawberries, but you're apparently fine with the fruits in the smoothies :teeth:.

DO you 'crash' a lot? Do you need to eat at specific intervals? Are there portable/non-liquid foods that will suffice? All things you want to consider and plan for your trip in both directions. When I compared the trip down with the trip home, that was just an example. The outbound TSA might give you trouble; if you have ALL your smoothies in your carry-on, you're out of luck. Or everybody may give you a pass. Did you check the TSA website? Are there any other foods you can use if you crash? Is there anything you can do to be proactive so you DON'T crash and so don't have an emergency need for a food you may end up not having with you?

forgot to ask, what about ice packs? Are those considered a gel?
They are. Frozen peas, small frozen fruits, something else... I've seen baby carrots suggested - all work well in soft-sided coolers to keep food chilled.

Have you checked out your local airport's website? Airports often have quite comprehensive lists of their restaurants and stores, and it's possible that they might have contact info for places inside the airport. Perhaps you could call around, see if any places sell the drinks? Does Odwalla work for you? I swear I've seen them for sale at all the Starbucks I've been to the last year or so...if those would work for you, you might see if s'bux is in your airport, and see if you can contact that particular one...

I too was thinking about the fruit. I would think the massive amounts of fruit sugars in a smoothie would shoot your blood sugar up far past what an apple would...

My sis is on tube feeding. She bought 8 cans of her liquid supplements in a carry on and they swabbed all the cans. I guess it depends if they will accept your smoothies. My dannon was under 3 oz each.

My ds was tube fed, and we had the doctor write up a note saying his cans of liquid supplements were medically necessary. I'm so glad I had that note because they weren't going to let the cans go through security. The had a couple of people look over the note and the cans.

If my ds could have eaten orally, I wouldn't have even bothered with bringing the cans through security, but this was my ds' only way of getting nutrition so we had no choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter