Med Cruise

CastleLight

DIS Veteran
With all this talk about the waitlist, I'm getting a bit concerned about making my own reservation for the Med cruise. Is there a chance they will sell out before I can make a reservation? I plan on calling the first day.

Also, do travel agents get a discount for this cruise? Thanks.

im concerned too ! :confused3

I wanna book via DVC should i phone them before April 4th?

I was....

... interested in this too ~ but my interest is fading along with that of my expanded family who are planning on traveling together in Europe.

The issues are simply that the DCL prices have supposedly 16 tiers beased on the % of capacity sold in a given catagory. And DCL has been taking waitlist requests since last year by fax (and otherwise?). They stopped taking waitlist requests in January! So now we have to wait til April 4th at 8AM to call in for what-ever is unsold and consider the prevailing rates which began as much (by my calculationn) as high as 3x higher then comparable lines in the MED sailing from Barcelona on cost a per day basis with my family of 4.

IE, My family of 4 in a window on DCL in JULY 2007 would be 8800~12,300 depending on capacity when they got to taking my request. That's including the on-board rebooking discount I'd be transferring from my OCT 28th DCL sailing! AND by comparison I could sail the RCCL Voyager of the Seas (142,000 tons, 1999 launch and 42:1 space ratio) in a 211' window for 7 days on Oct 28th 2006 at $2479.39 including a $14 TA fee! Granted this is July 2007 on DCL versus OCT 2006 on RCCL... but the per day difference is DCL at $880-1230 a day versus $354... which is 59% to 71.2% less with RCCL. Shoot... I could even book a 506' "owners suit" with 64' veranda for $5479.40. On a per day basis that's $782 a day... still less than a DCL window for the 2nd highest catagory on RCCL. AND as another alternative... which I might add is a bit odd but features certain advantages... We could sail Holland America's flagship the Rotterdam IV(59,000 tons, an intimate <?!> 1300 passengers, launched 1997 with a spacious 47:1 ratio) for $5800 for 15 days from Lisbon to Rio De Janiero docking at 3 continents with 7 sea days and crossing the equator.... WOW. That works out to $387 a day for the 4 of us in TWO 182' window cabins. If we had connecting cabins it would be like having a 364' double suite w/o veranda. They were not quoting triples or quads so the twin suites were the only comparable alternative. However, I could go cheaper by taking inside cabins thus saving about $380 per inside cabin taken... but 15 days without sunlight in the cabin is intolerable IMHO.

So ... yes ... availability is certain to be reduced by the time any of us enquire without being on the wait list... and the modestly higher prices are likely to be higher. Another DIS enthusiast cited they have already been offerred 2 quads in catagory 3 for $48,000. HECK.... I could have 2 quads on Voyager in BIGGER 506' "owners suites" (with 60+ foot verandas) for $10,900 and save $37,000 for shore excursions, air fare and probably a NEW CAR (or two late model used ones) when I got home. Not that I need one.... and I probably couldn't buy a car I'd enjoy driving with the left over money after air and shore excursions... LOL! But $37,000 in savings buys a LOT considering you're not sacrificing everything imaginable in the compromise! :confused3

At any rate, you're not out of luck IF you don't mind spending a little more ... er, rather ... potentially a lot more for the privilage of sailing on DCL the 1st season it cuts through the MED. I will probably wait for the next occasion when they might have more then 2 ships and somewhat lower prices.

AND don't misunderstand me.... there is a huge gaping gulf of difference feom sailing a unique ship like the MAGIC fror the 1st time in the MED during high season compared to a mass market behemouth like VOYAGER (which is 39 tons or 47% larger) at the lowest point of the low season for the MED in late October. This preceeding price comparison is a bit unfair - but it is "comparable" since I have not yet found any pricing on the other lines for the summer of 2007... and most of summer 2006 seems already sold. EXCEPT for Costa - but I never considered Costa... and that's just me. I'm sure they're a fine C line.

SO... don't flame me too intensely as I've pointed out the inequities in my " comparison". I won't besurprised at a little toasting though from some! :rolleyes:

Cheers!

I've called DCL at least 10 times in the past two weeks and asked each and every person about the wait list and they have each told me it is a rumor and there is no such list. Only other travel agents have waitlists.

I've also called DCL several times and they told me the same thing- there is no wait-list.

If DCL has no waitlist then WHAT ON EARTH are these thread postings that speak of FAXing in requests for it last year? And what of the fare quotes we've seen from folks seeking the top tiers on the ship? We have quotes being posted already?

I called once a couple of days ago and my CM said they were not taking any more on the waitlist. NOT that there was NOT a waitlist. Er, pardon the double negative... however... I think DCL is trying to manage negative public opinion from recent enquirers at being denied a chance to que for a quote. They are fortunate to have so many of us who are so enthusiastic with their sailings. But then again - I think they've earned it as my kids (and I) have always had a pretty good time on their voyages. That was my diplomaticly inspired "friendly plug". :rolleyes:

Funny how they keep denying it...or are just repeating what they have been told. The fact is that many people have been contacted by DCL because they are on the waitlist and if a message was left for them they were given a number to call just for those on the waitlist. Flexsmom even posted the message that you get when you call that number.

So those of us who were not on the wait list pretty much have zero chance of getting the lowest price tier, correct? Also, do I need to be quick on the phone to secure a cabin? I mean this : I need two connecting category 9's. They HAVE to be connecting or I'm not interested. Will this slow down the booking process as the CM searches for connecting rooms and then I will go up to the next price tier because it is taking the CM longer? Just trying to be ready come April 4th! :banana:

I am getting a bit depressed now and concerned about even trying to book the med cruise. We do not have a toll free number from here in England so if it is a long wait to get through that can be very expensive.

Have been to the travel agents today and picked up some alternative brochures and prices seem comparable so can I ask please captaincrash where do you pick up your information on alternatives.

Would like to do the med with Disney not for the ports just for Disney and its service but if it is not available at a reasonable cost will have to consider other lines or fly back across the pond again. Wish Disney did longer cruises from Florida as 7 nights is just not enough.

Well, I am one of the "poor folks" who can only afford a cat. 8 or 9. ;)

My TA said she thought there would be no problem getting in the first few tiers bcause so many people are dropping off their list. (TA's are gathering names and info so they can be on the phone at 8am to book a room for you)

She said either the suites or cheapest rooms will go first, then cats 4-9.

Of course, this is the opinion of one TA,

hope this helps :wave:

I just called DCL and the woman told me there is no waitlist and there never was one. She said a lot of people are calling to ask about it, but it doesn't exist through DCL.

CastleLight said:
I just called DCL and the woman told me there is no waitlist and there never was one. She said a lot of people are calling to ask about it, but it doesn't exist through DCL.

This is simply untrue...Our group has been called several times. The first time to make sure we were still interested after the destination was announced and the second phone call to tell us booking would begin on Monday or Tuesday.

The people who answer the phones either don't know or are being told to lie. The end result is that a number of rooms will be gone prior to the public on-sale on the 4th due to this "non-existent" wait list.

CastleLight said:

That is just not true. We faxed in a request to Inventory Control in Aug/05 for either a Cat 2 suite or a Midship Cat 3 for the Disney Magic on any date between Late July/ Early Aug 2007. A few weeks later we received a post card that our "waitlist request had been recorded with the date and time received" (exact wording from the postcard).

Friday morning (3/24), I had a message from Alan, a DCL CM calling about my waitlist request and that there had been an itinerary change, the Magic would be sailing from Barcelona on a Med Cruise. He left me some contact info so I could call and let him know if we are still interested in our waitlist request. I called him back that afternoon and told him to take us off the list because we were sailing the Med this year but we will be looking to book the Magic in 2008.

Skallywag said:
I am getting a bit depressed now and concerned about even trying to book the med cruise. We do not have a toll free number from here in England so if it is a long wait to get through that can be very expensive.

Have been to the travel agents today and picked up some alternative brochures and prices seem comparable so can I ask please captaincrash where do you pick up your information on alternatives.

Would like to do the med with Disney not for the ports just for Disney and its service but if it is not available at a reasonable cost will have to consider other lines or fly back across the pond again. Wish Disney did longer cruises from Florida as 7 nights is just not enough.

HEY....

... that's "ME"... so I just shop the net trolling for bargains or insight into pricing trends... I look at icruise; cruises.com; expedia; orbitz and just about anyone with a decent user interface. THEN, once you identify a ship and sailing desired ... if I were you I'd try cruise compete for a reverse auction of TAs who will bid for your business. Plus I might consult local TAs where you are to get a sense of what you're saving since a local TA is likely to be the highest rate next to brochure.

Any detailed Qs might be best to take off this thread to keep it on topic... you're welcome to contact me privately via PM.

Otherwise I hope this helps out!

And, BTW... I share your annoyance over the stiffly priced narrow opportunity we have for even a quote. Have you considered booking via web on April 4th 8AM EST? That will work... supposedly. And if not... I'll send you some of my asprin and Advil for the recovery after we see the inflated rates we're offerred. LOL! My problem is I dislike paying top dollar (or pound) for something that really could have been had for significantly less. AND my perspective is compounded by the needs and preferences of several families who will be traveling with us to Italy for the cruise.

So ... without digressing into something further off topic I'll abruptly offer an end to this line of banter... :thumbsup2

Cheers! pirate:

I agree, I faxed a request in November to inventory control and received a fax back about 2 weeks later stating DCL is no longer taking names for the waitlist. The list had gotten too big. I think the people who answer the phones at DCL just don't know. They are hourly employees who are given info on a "need to know" basis.

Check with you TA, they will put you on their list for when DCL opens to the public on 4/4.

By the way, it seems that the biggest amount of people on the "official" list want cat's 1-3.

This is what Jocelyn (I am sorry I can not spell her name) told us last week aboard the Magic after the announcement was official. If we wanted a suite they are gone, there was a waitlist and that is why the suites are gone. If we wanted any other type of cabin we would be OK. We could waitlist for a suite but she doubted that we would get what we wanted.

We have cruised in a cat. 3 the last 4 cruises because we needed a bit more space and we wanted our daughter (13 1/2) with us in the same room. The expense of booking two cat. 6's is that we would be charged for 4 people not three. As my husband told her, for that much money I will cruise in a suite. Since Disney can't get us in a suite we will go ahead with our '07 plans of cruising with Celebrity-ship Galaxy royal suite similar to a cat. 3. Another thing that was odd, she had no info on pricing. All that was handed out were sheets of paper that you filled out requesting dates, and types of room requests. A DCL rep would call on 4/4 or what ever day it was when they started to take actual bookings. If we did that we would have received a $250 room credit because we made the requests while on board.

She had no info on pre or post cruise stays. No info on excursions or even the times estimated we would be at the ports. She did tell us to expect long excursion times off the ship. It could even be 10 hours which coincides to what my research on Med. cruises also indictated. I felt sorry for her because she was just as clueless as the rest of us and she was a booking agent for DCL.

My husband and I were disappointed that the suites were gone long before the bookings even start. I would think some people may back out but then, the deposit for a suite is nonrefundable.

As far as pricing. We were guessing that DCL would be high. After reading the comments by others on this board I thought they were high. Husband Dave looked up the pricing on DCL's web site last night and told me he thought they were right in line with other lines. He couldn't see where the super high prices that people were writing about were coming from. The cost of a cat. 3 on DCL is almost the same as what we are guessing the Royal suite would cost on Celebrity. The fact is a Med. cruise is going to cost a lot more than the Caribbean. Who knows, maybe he well tell our agent to check on prices and see if she comes up with what he did and maybe we will waitlist--I don't think it cost any money to waitlist.

Kathy

Well, here's what we're doing... we prioritized the sailing dates and sent them to our TA so she'll know when she calls on April 4th what order to go for for us and we'll take whichever one we can get on in a Cat. 6 cabin. We're putting the 10-nights first and then the 11-nights since the whole point for us is to go see the world and the difference in the 10- and 11-night is 1/2 airfare for one of us. We're a family of 4. We're also going to transfer our Dec. 2006 Wonder ressie to the Med.

However, if we're not able to get on a Med. cruise, we're still going to transfer our Dec. 2006 to March 2007 as our spring break coincides with an Eastern itinerary for the Magic - we sailed Western in Dec. 2005. That's our back-up plan.

In the meanwhile, I'll be selling either my 1st or 2nd born - depending on which one brings me the most $$$ (LOL - just kidding - maybe I won't sell them but sell their stuff on ebay)... or rent out their rooms and have them sleep in a tent in the back yard! Just kidding - really!!!!

So if I'm not using a TA is my best bet to be on the phone or on the DCL website? It's 8am, right?

Stitch1404 said:
So if I'm not using a TA is my best bet to be on the phone or on the DCL website? It's 8am, right?

Yes!

Use one method or the other! That's what caused the pricing to skyrocket last time! Too many had "requests" in with TA's and then got them on their own.

Good Luck!

j

my ta in uk spoke to dcl today and dcl said the med cruises go online for sale on the 7th april

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter