Measuring and Counting

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
Does anyone (else) measure/count everything they eat?
In the past I resisted having to meausre everything out but I am finding it very helpful to do so, especially since I am journalizing (another thing I resisted in the past) w/ calories everything I eat to help keep on track.
I am finding that with somethings the "serving size" is actually MORE then I would normally eat (2 TBS of salad dressing on my 1.5 cups of salad is too much), other cases I have found that it is a less then I would have eatten (7 triscut cracker is considered a serving) and some are just about right on.

I think keeping track of portion sizes is essential for me. I know how many carbs are in a certain portion of a food....so I know I need to limit myself to that portion. There are certain things that I can eye up pretty well now, though....the dish I eat nuts out of holds 1/4 cup and the bowls I use for salad are very full at 3 cups, just about right at 2 cups, etc.....

I think this is just how I have to eat from now on....being on Atkins, though, I just need to know carb counts and fiber to work out what I can have. Not too hard.

I do measure a lot of things just to get the accurate count. Some things I know the portion size so I don't bother, but most I do.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

Since I am counting calories I weigh and measure everything I eat pretty much. I am not good at eyeballing things yet. I am sometimes really surprised at how much a serving is. Due to stomach problems Im actually having difficulty eating enough calories a day and Im slowing my weight loss because of it. A wise friend gave me the idea of eating five smaller meals instead of three regular meals in order to get my calorie count up to 1200.

Yes, I do measure alot. I'm getting good at eyeballing some things, though.

I'm glad you posted this because I was just thinking that I should get a small scale to weigh my food.

Do any of you know where I can get a decent INEXPENSIVE food scale???

I have a feeling that I am eating a little more, per portion, than I should be! :o

I have gotten good a 'eyeballing' the size. If I am at home I do measure, only because if I am eyeballing I tend to give myself less...just incase I am off here or there.

I measured a lot when I started my program, but I am good at eyeballing now though. I am thinking about starting WW this week, so I will probably start measuring all over again! :) It's a good way to hold yourself accountable for what goes in your mouth!

I measure the items that could really wreak havoc with my eating plan success. Cheese, nuts and vegetables. Actually that is about all I need to measure, now that I think of it. It's helpful to measure. There are a lot more nuts in one ounce than I thought there was.

i measured everything at the beginning. now i am pretty good at eyeballing.

i couldn't believe how much a cup was when i first started measuring. it seemed like so much! LOL

Seaspray my dh bought a scale for me at Albertsons. Its nice because it has a bowl for things that can roll around or you can take the bowl off and measure for things like meat etc... It was not very expensive I want to say around 10.00.

I have a "Sunbeam Programmable Digital Electronic Postal Scale" from Office Max. It's about $29. I wanted a digital scale where I could "tare" out what was already on the scale. That is, I could weigh a bowl, hit the tare key and it would zero out the weight of the bowl and then I could add my stuff. It works great :).

I also bought a set of large measureing spoons from Weight Watchers years ago. They are more like large plastic ladles with long handles. One is 1/2 C and the other is 1 C. I serve myself using those spoons and it's much easier to calculate how much of something I had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter