Meals with little Cooking Involved for Vacation

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
I know there have been threads on this, but I searched, and just didn't put in the right words, because I can't find the threads I want!

I will be staying 8 nights in a Townplace Suites (hotel with full kitchen) for my dd's competition this summer. We are staying with a few other families.

We want to do some meals in the room, but with minimal or no cooking. Any suggestions?

I have thought of

Stouffers lasagna
salad in a bag
garlic bread

rotisserie chicken
corn on the cob
salad
beans

Any other suggestions? We'll have a team dinner one night, and one night we'll be at the competition late, and one night we have promised the girls dinner at Logans Roadhouse Grill. That leaves 4-5 nights for meals. Any help is appreciated.

Julia

I would just get frozen pre-cooked meals. Costco is best for that.

Last trip I made:

Campbell's soup chicken and rice casserole
frozen pizza
frozen lazagna
cold cuts sandwiches (yes, they are edible for dinner)

and that was it. We had enough of each meal to eat it again during the week.

Dawn

Unfortunately, we're in Savannah......no Costco :guilty:

I want to stay away from pizza, and have "real meals", because on the busy competition days, there's too much junk food.

I guess I just need to go the grocery store and see what there in the frozen food aisle, it's just not something I do often

Julia

Have you thought about bringing a crock pot?
Even if you don't want to buy the meals from scratch you can buy those frozen packaged crockpot stuff now.
I don't think they're too junky. I mean high sodium, but what's not high sodium when it's prepackaged.

Even if you decide to make the meal from scratch, crockpot is so easy.
Throw meat,veggies, and broth together wait for 6-12 hrs and you'll get something good... :)
If you don't have time cleaning, get those crock pot liner. That'll eliminate the need to clean... :teeth:
Good luck!

cseca said:
Have you thought about bringing a crock pot?
Even if you don't want to buy the meals from scratch you can buy those frozen packaged crockpot stuff now.
I don't think they're too junky. I mean high sodium, but what's not high sodium when it's prepackaged.

Even if you decide to make the meal from scratch, crockpot is so easy.
Throw meat,veggies, and broth together wait for 6-12 hrs and you'll get something good... :)
If you don't have time cleaning, get those crock pot liner. That'll eliminate the need to clean... :teeth:
Good luck!

we're traveling from CA to Savannah, so I don't think taking a crockpot is a possibility. And there's not one at the hotel.....I checked.

oh well.......

Julia

I love those pre-marinated tri-tips in a bag. You open it put it in the oven and your done. Add a salad and a veggie. Also great sandwich leftovers.

mitchwebb said:
I love those pre-marinated tri-tips in a bag. You open it put it in the oven and your done. Add a salad and a veggie. Also great sandwich leftovers.

oh that sounds good. can you get that at the grocery store?

We don't mind "overpaying" for marinated meats, prepared foods, etc (like Country Crock premade mashed potatoes), because it's still alot cheaper than going out.

For the 5 of us (2 adults, 3 girls) dinners out usually run $60 or so, more if one of the girls wants a salad (not kids menu) or my friend or I want a drink.

I figure our in room meals will run us $20 max!

julia

I would do a taco night or taco salad night---all you have to do is brown the hamburger meat and have the other fixings to serve (salsa, lettuce, cheese, chips, black olives, etc)

I second using a crockpot---if you are going to the store to buy groceries you can easily pick one up for under $18 or so. Then just leave it behind.

Other things that came to mind:

spaghetti or baked ziti with salad and breadsticks

meatloaf (mix it up in the morning) with mashed potatoes and frozen veggies

breakfast for dinner---pancakes, eggs, sausage/bacon

chicken caesar salads with frozen chicken strips, bagged salad, croutons, parmesan, dressing

baked chicken and rice

What about quesadillas? All you need are large flour tortillas, shredded cheese, cooked meat (hamburger, chicken leftovers from the rotisserie chicken, or precooked chicken strips from the store)a little butter for the pan and whatever toppings/fillings you like (salsa, sour cream, black olives, etc.). They're quick and easy plus inexpensive to make.

I agree that a cheap crockpot would make meals easier. I prep the meat and veggies (except potatoes) the night before and assemble them along with the seasonings in the crock pot. Then I just pop the ceramic crock pot liner in the fridge, all ready to pull out and turn on the next morning. The plastic liners from Renyolds work well with limiting clean up time.

You could also buy the frozen rolls (I think Pillsbury makes them) or some crescent rolls, to use as a side as well.

Happy Cooking!
GraysMom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter