MCO Mask Mandate-Autism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hartley88

Earning My Ears
Hi
We are looking to travel soon from the UK but our 4 year son has Autism and is non verbal so we can’t get him to wear a mask.

We have tried numerous times but he just gets really distressed and violently lashes out. I know we can get a medical exemption for the flight but does anyone know if he will need to wear a mask in the airport?

i have a letter from his doctor and his medical consultant to confirm the above. I just don’t want to spends thousand of pounds on a holiday for us to be turned away at the airport.

I have contacted MCO via Facebook but they didn’t want to comit one way or another. Does anyone have the email address for MCO’s special assistance team?

im aware of the mask requirements in the parks which isn’t an issue as we are just going to do seaworld and rest at the villa

Thanks
Lucy

Various airline websites cite that federal law requires masks to be worn in the airport, boarding or deplaning, and onboard the aircraft. While most US airports aren't technically federally-owned property it could be one of those things that until someone challenges it in court they are following the federal rule. Mask would be required at security checkpoints and onboard the plane, and likely on the monorail shuttles. It appears from a Google search that signage at MCO indicates "face coverings are required." Whether or not you and your child will be challenged on that, I can't say.

Masks are required at all indoor locations on WDW property, except in your own room/villa and while actively eating/drinking. This includes public indoor areas at the resort as well as the parks. Also all bus, monorail and skyliner transportation.

I'm closing this thread to avoid debate. If anyone has specific experience to share, let me know and I'll add it.

This thread will remain closed, but I had some additional information to add.

It’s probably not realistic for you to visit at this time due to the mask policies.
Seaworld is recommending, but not requiring masks indoors at this point according to their website, but they also note the requirements could change at any time. So, you could arrange your trip and then find masks are required.

US Federal Law requires wearing a mask on any type of transportation and at airports, whether they are owned by state or Local government or someone else.
Mask exemptions are administered by the individual airlines AND if one is granted, it applies to the airline and airport. But, there are frequent announcements about the requirement for everyone to wear masks and you are likely to be challenged multiple times if he’s not wearing a mask.

The exemptions are very narrow - for example, someone who is not safely able to remove their mask in case they have an issue or someone who needs medical equipment on their face that interferes with wearing a mask.
Most exemptions include requirement for proof of negative COVID test/proof of recovery from COVID and/or a medical clearance by the airline medical authority before checking in for each flight.
Each airline has their own process for applying for an exemption. Your airline may follow a policy for travel in Europe, but will be required to follow US policies for travel in or arrival in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter