May the FOOD Be With You...a SWW Dining Report! NEW! 7/5

You had me from beignets!! I'm in too - can't wait to hear more. When I first tried a beignet I thought they were ok but the more I ate, the more I craved them so staying at POFQ worked out well for me. We're staying at WL next time and I fear that I won't get any. Can't wait to hear more reviews - keep em coming!

Fresh fried dough drenched in powdered sugar, is there any better way to begin a day at WDW than the breakfast of champions??? Can't wait to read more!

That photo of the beignets is amazing! I feel I can almost smell the fresh baked goodness!

All your breakfast choices sound delicious - I have never stayed at POFQ but judging by this, perhaps I should consider it!:)

POFQ is gorgeous and the beignets are fantastic!

Welcome :wave:

Better late than never .................. I'm in popcorn::

Hi! :wave2:

What better way to start a day with a beignet! I will have to try that some time considering I've never had one!:lmao:

Ah Geoff, you would think after all the trips he's been on with you (even during F&W!!!) he'd know to not start eating until the obligatory picture had been taken.:eek:

You would think he would know! :sad2: In fairness, he hadn't had his coffee yet!

I'm in! Love, Love, Love POFQ :lovestruc

Have you been since the refurb? Love what they did!

You had me from beignets!! I'm in too - can't wait to hear more. When I first tried a beignet I thought they were ok but the more I ate, the more I craved them so staying at POFQ worked out well for me. We're staying at WL next time and I fear that I won't get any. Can't wait to hear more reviews - keep em coming!

:laughing: I inhaled the sugar by accident and had a coughing attack...powered sugar went everywhere!

SUBSCRIBING - looking forward to mama melrose review ;)

Coming soon!

Count me in! popcorn::

Welcome!!

Great start, I will be looking for more reviews.

Thanks!

Fresh fried dough drenched in powdered sugar, is there any better way to begin a day at WDW than the breakfast of champions??? Can't wait to read more!

No, I don't think there is a better way!

When I first booked our ADRs, I had booked just Geoff & I for lunch at Brown Derby. But the more I read and stalked the menu, the more I wasn't feeling it. So after a lot of debate, we finally settled on Mama Melrose...and almost canceled that! I'm glad we didn't, at the very least it was nice to have a place to sit and relax in the middle of the day.

We checked in for our 110pm Lunch ADR just a few minutes early and we didn't wait more than a minute before we were being called back to our table. We were at the very first booth in the restaurant, so we didn't really get to see the restaurant too much.

Menus:
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

The plan for Mama Melrose was to just order a bunch of their flatbreads and split them. We were all on board except for Geoff :sad2: so he ordered something else. We all started with the standard soft drink/water combination except for my Mom who had a frozen cappuccino. She loved her drink :thumbsup2

We started off with rolls. They were warm, which was nice, but I don't understand serving this kind of roll with the olive oil & pepper...it would have made more sense to serve a loaf. But since we were having the flatbreads, I only had a bite or two of bread.

IMG_0079.jpg

Geoff had the Goat Cheese Raviolis
IMG_0080.jpg

I tried a bite and they were delicious! He ate every last bite, so no complaints here! It's definitely not all goat cheese though, they must use a ricotta to cut the goat cheese.

And then we have our flatbreads (and I'm sorry about the pictures...they get better! I tried using just my iPhone, so it took a little getting used to!)

First up we had the Carne D'Italia Flatbread: Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Pancetta & Spicy Marinara Sauce. I'm pretty sensitive to spicy foods and this? Was not spicy. At all. Tasty, not spicy.
IMG_0081.jpg

Next is the Grilled chicken flatbred. Sun-dried tomato pesto, pancetta, asiago cheese, & chives. This one was good, but I preferred the last one...
IMG_0082.jpg

Last but not least we have the mushroom & arugula flatbread. The All Ears menu has this with shrimp, so obviously they've changed it. By far my favorite, but I'm a push-over when it comes to mushrooms, arugula & cheese!
IMG_0083.jpg

No dessert because I was hoping for a Starring Rolls cupcake (we were blocked by the parade though!)

All in all, we had a fabulous lunch. We got in from the heat and because we didn't go with options like the steak and real heavy meals, the lunch itself wasn't that expensive. I would definitely come back for lunch!

Geoff's gotta get with the program Kelly! First eating breakfast before a picture can be taken and now doing his own thing with the lunch order. :laughing:

The flatbreads look almost as big as pizzas...how big were they? They look really good.

Geoff's gotta get with the program Kelly! First eating breakfast before a picture can be taken and now doing his own thing with the lunch order. :laughing:

The flatbreads look almost as big as pizzas...how big were they? They look really good.

They were definitely pizza sized. You could easily split one and have a salad between 2 people for lunch...so 3 of them between 4 would have been plenty, if Geoff hadn't have messed things up! :laughing:

The crust was really thin, which was nice (hence a flatbread I suppose!) Probably about the same size as Wolfgang Puck Express.

Ooh, those flatbreads look mighty tasty! We've only been to Mama Melrose once, and it was just meh. It's been a few years, though. Your review makes me think about trying it again when we go in March 2012. We already have all of our ADR's for October, and sadly, the people we are going with really want to go to 50's Prime Time Cafe. Been there. Done that. Many times. Maybe I could convince them to split up at that time. I don't think an ADR at Mama Melrose would be too difficult to get?

Thanks for the great review, keep 'em coming!:thumbsup2

Great review of Mama Melrose - I would love that mushroom flatbread :thumbsup2

It was definitely my favorite! :goodvibes

Ooh, those flatbreads look mighty tasty! We've only been to Mama Melrose once, and it was just meh. It's been a few years, though. Your review makes me think about trying it again when we go in March 2012. We already have all of our ADR's for October, and sadly, the people we are going with really want to go to 50's Prime Time Cafe. Been there. Done that. Many times. Maybe I could convince them to split up at that time. I don't think an ADR at Mama Melrose would be too difficult to get?

Thanks for the great review, keep 'em coming!:thumbsup2

We went to Mama Melrose a few years ago, but weren't crazy about it. And when I say I few...I mean more like 6-7 :laughing: I love Prime Time, but Geoff's kind of quiet and I'm not sure how he would react to being picked on at Prime Time. So I gave it up to try Mama's again. Prime Time for lunch is one of my favorite things though, absolutely love it.

So I guess it depends on my mood the day of booking which way I would go...Mama Melrose or Prime Time! ..oh, and if I remember right, Prime Time didn't have as many options for dining times as Mama's did when I re-booked the ADR a month or so out.

Okay...just finished! Enjoyed the reivews:thumbsup2 Looks like we were at WDW at the same time:)

I've always wondered about POFQ...we have never stayed there...basically because we are a family of 5. Have thought about POR (they have trundles) but didn't know about room size:confused3 Could our crew survive??:laughing:

We went to Mama Melrose a couple of years ago and LOVED it!!! However, we ate there again on this past trip and it was just so-so. That being said...I have a feeling it was just us...it was the last day of our trip...we were hot, exhausted and really weren't hungry. After 10 days of the Dxdp, I was ready for some 'home cookin';) Your meal looked really good! We did have a great server. She was very attentive and super quick.

Looking forward to some more reviews!

I am a big Brown Derby fan but you have me thinking about giving Mama Melrose a try! ::yes::

Looking forward to more! popcorn::

Loving the reviews so far. We've never stayed at POFQ but have been to Sassagoula to eat a couple of times - we love it there :thumbsup2

Subbing! Can't wait to read this afternoon while the kids are resting:woohoo:

Welcome along!!

Okay...just finished! Enjoyed the reivews:thumbsup2 Looks like we were at WDW at the same time:)

I've always wondered about POFQ...we have never stayed there...basically because we are a family of 5. Have thought about POR (they have trundles) but didn't know about room size:confused3 Could our crew survive??:laughing:

We went to Mama Melrose a couple of years ago and LOVED it!!! However, we ate there again on this past trip and it was just so-so. That being said...I have a feeling it was just us...it was the last day of our trip...we were hot, exhausted and really weren't hungry. After 10 days of the Dxdp, I was ready for some 'home cookin';) Your meal looked really good! We did have a great server. She was very attentive and super quick.

Looking forward to some more reviews!

I'll be doing a full trip report after this dining report is over. I like doing the dining one first so I get all the details of the food right! But I love POFQ, I think it's a fantastic resort. That being said, squeezing 5 in the room? Probably a tight fit. If you were just going down for a long weekend and trying to do a budget trip, I would do it. But for a week long trip, I think you'd all want to strangle each other by the end!

Mama's was good for what it was, but really we had a couple pizzas! I would definitely pay the difference to eat at Mama's again over counter service at HS.

I am a big Brown Derby fan but you have me thinking about giving Mama Melrose a try! ::yes::

Looking forward to more! popcorn::

We initially had Brown Derby booked. But I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on lunch. I mean, yes there's the Cobb Salad, but it would just be a lot of food for lunch. I still want to give it another try, but I'm glad we went to Mama's instead. Plus it meant we got to go to Raglan Road at night! :cool1:

Welcome along!

Loving the reviews so far. We've never stayed at POFQ but have been to Sassagoula to eat a couple of times - we love it there :thumbsup2

You should give POFQ a try to stay! (Unless you have a larger family obv...) I love it!! Thanks for joining in!

We tried Raglan Road for the first time last October. We kind of fell in love with the place. So when I was looking at our schedule for this trip, I started to worry that we wouldn't have anything to do on Saturday night since we were planning on getting to HS before opening (and I know my crew isn't an open to close kind of crew!) So about a month out, I hemmed and hawed and started bugging Geoff about things we could do, one of my suggestions was "We could take the boat to Downtown Disney and go back to Raglan Road." Geoff jumped at it. I asked my parents if they were interested. Yep, they were on board! (My Dad especially liked the idea of taking the boat over since that meant he could indulge in some adult beverages!)

BUT! A snag in the plan! I could get a reservation for 4 at 5...or at 845. OR I could get an ADR for 2 at 630 and another ADR for 2 at 645...so I grabbed those. And kept stalking the Dining System, finally I got an ADR for 4 at 6pm. Great...but a little too close to our 1:10 lunch. It was pretty much decided that everyone would prefer Raglan Road, but I'd keep checking for one closer to 7/7:30pm. Such drama, I KNOW! I've gone through all this trouble to tell you that about a week out, I was sitting on this boring conference call and perusing the Raglan Road website, looking at their menu as you do. When I noticed the "make a reservation" link. Wondering if it would take me to the Disney Dining system, I clicked. And I discovered something wonderful! It takes you to Open Table, where I had my pick of times (except 7...) and was able to secure at 715 reservation. Awesome :woohoo: I checked: Raglan Road is the only Disney restaurant that uses Open Table. And because it probably needs to be stated so I don't get flamed, I canceled all unused ADRs...

So, with that long story out of the way, I present...
IMG_0098.jpg

Geoff and I arrived at the podium first, but they wouldn't seat us without our entire party (my Mom & Dad were a mere 5 minutes behind us...) so we chilled outside until they arrived, at which point we checked in again and waited another 5 minutes until our buzzer went off. We were led to an awesome table right next to the stage in the middle of the room where the step dancer dances. ...Well, we thought it was awesome. Not so awesome if you were planning on having a conversation, but we were there to take in the atmosphere and food, not to chit chat. :chat: I mention this because I've read some reviews that mention how this isn't a great restaurant because it's so noisy. Yeah, it's noisy, I think it makes it fantastic...can't hear all the screaming children that way :rotfl:

Our waiter in all honesty wasn't the most friendly guy on earth, but he got the job done and did it quickly and correctly, so there's not too much I can complain about there.

I ordered the Celtic Martini
IMG_0099.jpg

I think anyway. I can't find the recipe anywhere online :confused3

My Mom had a standard Vodka & Tonic and my Dad & Geoff had beer flights:
IMG_0100.jpg

We started off with some appetizers to share. In October we had the fried forest of food (officially: Appetiser D'Lirrah for Two) and it was just too much fried food, so we decided to try some different options this time.

First we have the Drunk Chicken, which is marinated in Whiskey...and really, how can you go wrong with anything marinated in Whiskey?

IMG_0101.jpg

These were really moist and tasty. Not anything blow your mind amazing, but tasty none the less. I enjoyed the mustard that was on the bottom to dip the chicken in.

Then we got some Kinky Crabs to share:
IMG_0102.jpg

These were good too, definitely different. The crab was nice and fresh, but I wasn't terribly crazy about the dip. And the ends might have been done a bit too much.

For our entrees, Geoff had Paddy's Pork:
IMG_0103.jpg

Paddy's Pork - Tasty pork loin stuffed with our signature sausage, drizzled with a honey soy glaze, with buttered leeks, cabbage, and mash potatoes

Geoff said it reminded him of comfort food.

I *think* my Dad had the Bangers & Booz
IMG_0104.jpg

Bangers and Booz - Guinness and onion bangers on mash, topped with caramelized onions and beef stew

I forgot to ask him what he thought of it, but he ate everything on his plate.

My Mom had the Chieftain Chicken
IMG_0105.jpg

Chieftain Chicken - pan seared breast of chicken, with roasted baby vegetables and mash. Served with mushroom spinach cream sauce and a port wine jus

I was going to get this until she said she was...I knew I could get a few bites! It was delicious, I would totally get this next time! The cream sauce was wonderful, not over powering and I liked that it was on the side instead of drowning the food.

I had the Pie in the Sky:
IMG_0106.jpg

Pie in the Sky - reach new heights with our chicken and wild mushroom pie served with a rocket lettuce salad

Basically a chicken pot pie. The salad on the side was really good, it wasn't dressed too much, but not too little either. I liked that the inside was good and thick instead of runny with too much gravy. Scrumptious!

We had multiple dancers right behind us, but this is the only picture I took. We were literally right next to this table.
IMG_0107.jpg

Now I couldn't pass up a chance for dessert, and I knew I wanted to get the bread & butter pudding again.
IMG_0108.jpg

This time we poured in the butterscotch & vanilla sauces ourselves. In no time this was gone!

We also tried the Trifle Sinful.
IMG_0109.jpg

Which was sinfully delicious! Just creamy and light. Wonderful. We polished off the desserts in no time flat.

All in all, I think Raglan Road is quickly becoming our favorite restaurant at Disney. The past two trips have been absolutely fantastic, we just love it! If you haven't been, you really should go and check it out!

This is the second Raglan Road review I've seen get posted today, and both were very positive. Looks like I need to add it to the list.

Your martini looks really good...like I could go for one right now.

And when something tastes like "comfort food" -- is there any higher compliment? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!