May need to leave early... Any chance points returned?

sbarisch

DVC Owner & All-Around Disney Fan
Hi all,

Just got word that my father is having emergency surgery to remove a cancerous tumor, and due to some significant heart issues, it is a risky surgery. I am looking to move up our flights to be home with my mom and family.

I don't this is possible since we've already checked in and had a good party of our stay, but...

Has anyone ever gotten any of their points returned if the had to leave unexpectedly? If so, can anyone tell me how to go about it? This is our first stay as members. I know I've read that the phone lines are incredibly long waits and I won't have time for that.

Thank you in advance!

It might be quicker to go to front desk explain your emergency, ask for manager to note in your reservation reason for emergency departure and then call DVC Guest Services Bookeeping (M-F)
I know if you sit on Hold today , DVC Guest Services probably will tell you to call back Monday-Friday for Accounting...
Either way , you have to go to front desk to report early departure otherwise it will not show up...
I hope you do not stress and are able to focus on your family .
Best wishes...if only pixie dust could be sprinkled everywhere.

I've actually have never asked for this but have had it done twice. Most recently, a couple years ago we checked out a day early due to weather ( changed flights to get home the day before a huge snow storm was coming.) The cast member at the front desk OFFERED to return our points from that last night when we went to check out early. She told me to call member services the next day which I did and they refunded the points. I would definitely go to the front desk and explain the situation and follow up with a call to MS afterwards. Best wishes to your father.

I've actually have never asked for this but have had it done twice. Most recently, a couple years ago we checked out a day early due to weather ( changed flights to get home the day before a huge snow storm was coming.) The cast member at the front desk OFFERED to return our points from that last night when we went to check out early. She told me to call member services the next day which I did and they refunded the points. I would definitely go to the front desk and explain the situation and follow up with a call to MS afterwards. Best wishes to your father.

For us it was two nights refunded last Oct @ OKW. I had to deposit the points into RCI but we're taking a trip on those points in Sep. Front desk asked why we were leaving early and I told them I had injured my back (which I had). Pixie dust for sure.

Best wishes for your family.

I left one day early one time and did not get points returned. I didn't ask though either.

we had similar situation happen years ago and they talked about one lifetime exception but urged us not to use it as it wasn't a lot of points involved

For us it was two nights refunded last Oct @ OKW. I had to deposit the points into RCI but we're taking a trip on those points in Sep. Front desk asked why we were leaving early and I told them I had injured my back (which I had). Pixie dust for sure.
Oh my. So sorry you had to leave due to a back injury. Those are certainly not magical!

Prayers to you and your family. As others have said, I wouldn't expect it, but if you go and explain to the front desk and ask, the worst they can say is no.

It might be quicker to go to front desk explain your emergency, ask for manager to note in your reservation reason for emergency departure and then call DVC Guest Services Bookeeping (M-F)
I know if you sit on Hold today , DVC Guest Services probably will tell you to call back Monday-Friday for Accounting...
Either way , you have to go to front desk to report early departure otherwise it will not show up...
we followed the procedure listed above when my daughter-in-law unexpectedly went into labor. We explained to the front desk that we were checking out early and the reason why. They stated they would make a note on our reservation, no guarantee that the points would be returned. My husband called member services 2-3weeks later, they checked and there was a notation about us having to leave early and we receive points back for one night. Pixie dust can still happen 🤞
sending hugs and prayers 🙏

A little different situation but a few years ago I had checked in for a week vacation at AKV on points. Later that day I got word my father-in-law had passed away so I wanted to get a flight home as fast as possible. I went to the front desk just to let them know and they grabbed a manager. All he said was not to worry and he would take care of everything. I had all my points back in my account. He even offered to refund my BFF's cash room if she and her kids did not want to stay. They ended up staying as planned but thought it was a nice gesture by the resort.

Had to do it once. Went to the front desk and talked to the manager. They said no guarantee, but our points did get returned. Had to use them that UY, but we did get them back. It was awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter