May 26 - June 2, 2012 From Reality to Fantasy

Quick Trip Report Pre-Note

I can’t believe we’ve been home for two weeks now. Although time crept along for months while we waited for cruise day, time sped up with a vengeance when we got home. Real life has been kicking my butt for the past couple of weeks. Unpacking and laundry didn’t take long, but it was a bit time consuming compiling all the trip photos from four different cameras. (the underwater camera is still not processed or it would be 5)

After deleting the duplicates and blurry shots the final photo total came to 1,357. Believe it or not, that is a low number for us from an 8 day vacation. (We once did a 9 day trip to WDW and came home with almost 3000 photos.) Then I had to scan the photos we purchased during the trip, select 10 photos from the Shutters disc we purchased, (I’m not sure I will do it that way again. I’ll explain why in more detail in a later post) and scan the Daily Navigators. Then there is the sorting and naming process, and then uploading everything to SmugMug so I can use them on this blog.

For the most part this trip report will be in chronological order. Occasionally I grouped together photos taken on different days, but in the same area of the ship so you might notice that we magically change clothes from one shot to the next even though it’s the same location. Also, Perry the Platypus will be featured in many shots so keep a lookout for him. He had an excellent time.

With that said…let’s get this trip report started.

On Our Way - It's Travel Day
It’s Time! It’s finally time! We spent the night before our flight in a Red Lion hotel across from the airport. Our flight was as 6:30 AM and this option offered us an extra 45 minutes of sleep. It was pretty uneventful and we made our morning flight with time to spare.
i-qVhWrnJ-M.jpg

Perry checks us in at the kiosk
i-WXntv4x-M.jpg
i-VHnPNmv-M.jpg

DS (Chance), DD (Josi) and Perry riding the train to our gate area
i-THhB3HT-M.jpg

All strapped in a ready to fly.

Our layover was in Atlanta. (as oh so many flights are) The most memorable thing that happened was on the ramp as we stepped off the plane. My kids experienced their first “near summer” humidity in the south to which my daughter loudly exclaimed. “Oh My God…what the hell is wrong with Georgia?” Followed by giggles from the other passengers. We have only traveled to Florida between October and February so they have never experienced the special heat and humidity the south offers the other months of the year.

Our layover was nearly 3 hours which gave us time to leisurely have lunch at Paschals (southern cuisine) and recharge our electronics.

Our layover was in Atlanta. (as oh so many flights are) The most memorable thing that happened was on the ramp as we stepped off the plane. My kids experienced their first “near summer” humidity in the south to which my daughter loudly exclaimed. “Oh My God…what the hell is wrong with Georgia?” [/COLOR]

OMG, that is too funny!

Jill in CO

Was also on this sailing and loved it! Can't wait to read more your TR! :banana:

I just read through your pre-trip report and I'm excited to read your TR! We decided just yesterday that we want to do a Western Caribbean cruise next year so I can't wait to read about your experience. My DS will be 12 when we go so I'm sure your TR will help give me an idea of what to expect for him.

I love your Perry pictures! We have done that with Pascal from Tangled. We have tons of pictures of him having fun in Disneyland and a few from Disney World.

I'm LOL about what your daughter said about the Georgia weather. I'm in Arkansas so I know what the humidity is like, but it doesn't mean I'm used to it or like it!

I'm sailing on the Fantasy on a western on 9/1 so I can't wait to hear all about your trip! popcorn::

Our layover was in Atlanta. (as oh so many flights are) The most memorable thing that happened was on the ramp as we stepped off the plane. My kids experienced their first “near summer” humidity in the south to which my daughter loudly exclaimed. “Oh My God…what the hell is wrong with Georgia?” Followed by giggles from the other passengers. We have only traveled to Florida between October and February so they have never experienced the special heat and humidity the south offers the other months of the year.

Oh my god! I lived in Ohio for the first sixteen years of my life. I live in Georgia for the warm weather, and I actually enjoy the humidity. I wouldn't have it any other way.

In addition to another one of your comments, I once overheard an older lady who lives in Florida mention to me the retirement joke for those who live in Florida. 'You know, if you live in Florida, and you pass away, you can't make it to heaven without having a layover in Atlanta first.'

Yeah! So excited for your trip report. I'm in!!! popcorn::

[/COLOR]

Well, tell your daughter that I live in Atlanta, and she "aint" seen nothing yet! Tell her to come back in mid-August and then she can really experience what is wrong with Georgia :scared:

In addition to another one of your comments, I once overheard an older lady who lives in Florida mention to me the retirement joke for those who live in Florida. 'You know, if you live in Florida, and you pass away, you can't make it to heaven without having a layover in Atlanta first.'

I've heard a similar version. "Whether you're going to heaven or hell there will be a layover in Atlanta."

Hello to everyone joining in. :wave2: I'll try to keep putting up posts in a timely fashion.

Oh Oh Oh Orlando

We arrived in Orlando on time, gathered our luggage, found our rental car (Avis) and went to find dinner. It was 6:30 EST, and we wanted to try to get acclimated to east coast time, so we decided to eat nearby before starting the drive to our hotel in Cocoa Beach.

We ate at Joe’s Crab Shack which is about 10 minutes from the airport. All I can say is YUM! Big buckets of crab, crab and more crab. We ordered two desserts to split; a HUGE slice of chocolate cake and what must have been a 6 x 6 inch square of key lime pie. (I forgot to take photos) The key lime pie was absolutely delicious and won hands down as family favorite. (and I’ve got the fork fight scars to prove it)

i-ZbL2G4N-M.jpg

Perry says "Eat at Joe's"
i-sQV7bT3-M.jpg

Can you point us in the direction of the EAC?
i-6PbLkNt-M.jpg

YUM!

Around 8:30 we were on our way to the coast. The drive was relaxing and I mostly just fiddled with the radio since it was dark and there was nothing to see. It’s an easy drive, about 50 minutes, so if you’re looking to save money it’s a good way to go. Our one way rental car was under $50. The only thing I didn’t know about was the tolls. I think we passed two toll booths. Both were .75 cents.

We found our hotel, the Sheraton Four Points, easily. Just across the street was a Walgreens so we made a pit stop and picked the essentials we didn’t want to pack and carry across the country. (sun spray, lotion, shaving cream, toothpaste…) We checked in and were in our room just after 10:00. DH took the kids to the pool and I pulled out the evening’s necessities. I also wanted to repack the bathing suits, sunscreen and other items in a carry-on bag for the cruise.

i-HHqNts9-M.jpg
i-Rc2Hmc5-M.jpg

Even though it was only 8:30 Pacific Time I was exhausted so lights out for me was 11:30 (EST). I’m not sure when the rest of the family went to sleep.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

take her back in August :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Joining the fun. I love Perry. We are using ducks this trip.

Fun! We took a dozen mini-ducks on our Hawaii trip a couple years ago. We took photos of them all over the island and then left them for people to find with the message "Take me with you" written on the bottom.

Saturday, May 26: Sheraton Four Points

I was up around 7:30. I hit the showers first and discovered a significant downside to this hotel. Water pressure in the shower was non-existent. The water came out of the showerhead by what seemed like gravity alone and it took everyone triple the time to shower. Except for the shower, the room was clean and comfortable and the hotel was quite nice. We’d stay there again if we could be assured better water pressure in another room.

Once I was ready I woke the family. Turns out DH had done some last minute work last night and didn’t go to sleep until 2:00 AM so he chose to go back for another hour of sleep rather than joining us for breakfast.The kids and I went downstairs to eat and explore. The Sheraton has a big shark tank between their restaurant and surf shop so we ate at the counter, took photos and named all the fish in the tank. Since we had Perry with us we went with a Phineas and Ferb motif.

i-RvQFNFd-M.jpg

Perry and "Dr. Doofenshmirtz"
i-CmX4NgG-M.jpg

We named these two "Phineas and Ferb" because they were always together.
i-pk5Mc33-M.jpg

A secret secret agent needs his vitamin C

After eating we explored the HUGE surf shop and then went outside to take some photos.

i-snFdbLr-M.jpg
i-FwQMqnw-M.jpg

The front of the hotel is decorated with gigantic surf boards
i-KdbkwxB-M.jpg

A Starbucks for our Seattle family made us feel right at home

We picked up coffee and a breakfast sandwich for DH at the in-house Starbucks and went to wake him. While he ate and dressed we finished packing the luggage and waited expectantly for it to be time to leave for the cruise.

Just up the road we returned the rental car to Avis. We were told that they would take us over to the port as soon as Disney sent word that they had finished disembarking the previous cruise and were ready for us. It was probably only a few minutes later that they announced we were given the green light to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter