*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

How do you think we should use it in this scenario: DH, me and our two teen daughters. We will want to do attractions together but then the girls will split off. How should we set it up so that they can search for the two of them, and we can search for the two of us? Thanks for your help!

It's pretty easy to manage MaxPass to do exactly what you're trying to do. You can scan all four tickets into the Disneyland App on your phone and on one (or both) of your daughters' phones. You can have tickets scanned into as many as many different phones as you want.

When you select FastPasses, one of the steps is to identify who you are selecting for. It can be every ticket you have scanned into your phone or just for specific tickets that you choose.

So when you're together, you (or anyone else in your group) can select FastPasses for all four of you. Once you split up, then it's a simple matter for you to select FastPasses for only you and your husband while one of your daughters selects FastPasses for the two of them.

Super easy! Barely an inconvenience!

I was amazed at how well this worked!

We were at Disneyland all week last week, and it was the first time I'd actively searched (using MaxPass) for FastPasses that other people had canceled. I'd read about it here on the forums, but I wasn't sure if it was something that I could regularly expect to find. I did find them. Practically every time I looked, if I kept at it.

I know others have described how this works, but for those who haven't seen it, here's a typical scenerio:

It was late morning at California Adventure, and we wanted to ride Radiator Springs Racers. The standby line was an hour long, the kids weren't comfortable with single-rider, and FastPasses were currently being distributed for late afternoon. I went through the MaxPass process up to where it told me the return time for RSR. Then I hit the back button, immediately re-selected "California Adventure" for the park, and quickly scrolled down to RSR. And then I did this over and over as fast as I could until all of a sudden the return time was significantly earlier than it had been a second before (someone had just canceled their FastPasses for that time slot).

I found there were a few keys that made this work a little better. (1) Learn to go quickly: touch-touch-swipe (just the right amount of swipe). (2) Don't get discouraged if you don't get an earlier time in your first 20 tries -- most times I had long since lost track of how many times I tried before I got an earlier return time. (3) Don't get so mesmerized by your touch-touch-swipe that you mindlessly hit the back-button before you realize that you just saw the time you should have taken -- it probably won't be there when you get back. (4) Grab it fast when it is there. You don't have time to think about it or to ask you spouse or kids of they want that time. It will be gone!

It worked in many different scenarios: When the return time was an hour away, we'd get it in fifteen minutes. When the return time was a few hours away, we'd shave a couple of those hours off. And even in the evenings, when there wasn't any availability for a particular attraction, we'd eventually get it (I got RSR, Toy Story, and Soarin' all at different times when this was the case).

You have to be somewhat realistic in your expectations. Later in the evening, when the only FastPasses available in DCA are Goofy's Sky School and Grizzly River Run, you can't expect that someone is going to cancel their RSR. And you're unlikely to find FastPasses that are currently several hours out now available with an immediate return time. But you should be able to improve your return times significantly.

A few other thoughts:

It was a relatively uncrowded week last week (although it got busier as the week wore on). That may have helped as people may not have been as willing to cancel their FastPasses if there weren't other FastPasses (for other attractions) available with relatively near return times.

We were a group of four. Obviously, if your group is larger than the group that just canceled, their cancellation isn't going to show up on your app. So larger groups may not work as well.

I personally don't do the more extreme thrill rides. So I was often waiting while the others rode. That gave me lots of time to do this (although I did it while walking between attractions, too, and obviously while standing in line.

It worked so well, that at one point, my daughter said to me, "Okay, Dad, no more FastPasses until we get down with [a couple of the non-FastPass attractions she was wanting to do]." It actually got to a point where we were getting too many FastPasses too quickly for her (and the canceled FastPasses were a big part of that).

Ooh this sounds awesome! Heading to DL with my husband and parents next September, so trying to read upon Maxpass and become an expert. This sounds like exactly what I want to happen :) Glad it worked so well for you.

It's pretty easy to manage MaxPass to do exactly what you're trying to do. You can scan all four tickets into the Disneyland App on your phone and on one (or both) of your daughters' phones. You can have tickets scanned into as many as many different phones as you want.

When you select FastPasses, one of the steps is to identify who you are selecting for. It can be every ticket you have scanned into your phone or just for specific tickets that you choose.

So when you're together, you (or anyone else in your group) can select FastPasses for all four of you. Once you split up, then it's a simple matter for you to select FastPasses for only you and your husband while one of your daughters selects FastPasses for the two of them.

Super easy! Barely an inconvenience!

THANK YOU!!!

How do you think we should use it in this scenario: DH, me and our two teen daughters. We will want to do attractions together but then the girls will split off. How should we set it up so that they can search for the two of them, and we can search for the two of us? Thanks for your help!
I would not create an account for your daughters, but rather have them sign into the app on their phone with your log in and PW. So you are both signed into the same account on different phones (my DH and I do this all of the time because often one of us is in one park with one DD and the other is in the other park with the other DD). This way you can each select only those that you want in your FP party when booking, but all FPs are in one account. This way you can see what they have booked and vice versa. And one person can book for all of you if there are times later in the day that you will all be back together to ride together. It just makes it easier.

Certainly you can have all of the tickets simultaneously scanned into to two different Disney accounts, but there is no need to complicate it by doing that. The system does not seem to mind (or even know) that you are logged into the same account on two phones simultaneously. My DH and I will sometimes stand there and each refresh our phones and see who gets the best FP return time, and then grab whichever gives us the better time (and we are signed into the same account when we do this).

I'm pretty well versed in the intricacies of the MaxPass system, and appreciated the grouping info shared in the mega-thread. What I'm wondering is how people are specifically influenced by days with max crowds. We will be there for only 2 days on January 1 and 2, and we are anticipating extremely high crowds (especially later on 1/1 and on 1/2.

Anyone have any strategies that are particularly beneficial on higher capacity days?

It's pretty much the same as usual, except everything goes much faster. So you'll need to be more on top of it and making evening plans earlier than usual. And on the most crowded days, expect that everything will be gone by some point in the afternoon/early evening... even the often available late things like Roger Rabbit, Buzz, and Goofy's Sky School. What's going to make it tough is the later return times mean you're more likely to face the 90 minute window between bookings.

Try to score some cancellations early in the day. Usually people talk about looking for cancellations later in the day, but when FPs are all gone early, you’re unlikely to find many cancellations, and those that pop up will disappear quickly.

It can be worth refreshing for cancellations in the morning/early afternoon to try to avoid 90-minute waits. Say you’re able to get a FP at 10:30am, but everything you want to ride is already at noon or later. I’d spend up to 5 minutes refreshing - maybe you’ll see an 11:00 or something pop up, you know? I’ve seen a LOT of movement on high crowd days, probably because of so many people using the system, so you have a decent shot at grabbing something. And if you don’t find anything, the overall return times won’t have changed that much in the 5 minutes you spent refreshing, so you’re not really any worse off.

Set an alarm for when it’s time to choose a new fastpass
Start at rope drop, and do a popular headliner first (I.e Space, Guardians, RSR).
Try and choose as many instant return times for popular rides as you can early in the day.
try and do rides that break down all the time (aka Indy) early in the day before they become glitchy

Set an alarm for when it’s time to choose a new fastpass
Start at rope drop, and do a popular headliner first (I.e Space, Guardians, RSR).
Try and choose as many instant return times for popular rides as you can early in the day.
try and do rides that break down all the time (aka Indy) early in the day before they become glitchy
Or hope that rides like Indy break down and you get a multi experience FP which can be really useful for other headliners on busy days!

Or hope that rides like Indy break down and you get a multi experience FP which can be really useful for other headliners on busy days!
yes! that's nice for me. But when I've gone with people who don't get to come as often, they usually get sad when the ride breaks down lol

We arrived on a Saturday after 6 PM on a very busy day and all the FP were gone and both parks. I would sit on my phone and keep refreshing every chance we got. We ended up with 5 FP that night and all of them major rides like Hyper Space Mountain, Toy Story Mania, Guardians (Halloween Version), Incrediacoaster, and even Haunted Mansion Holiday. I always tell people not to give up and always refresh when you can. If it wasn't for the MP I would have never gotten any of them. You just have to be willing to put in the work for the big payoff.

My recommended FP order to stay roughly in the same area.
Disneyland
As soon as you enter the park at opening
1) Matterhorn, then enjoy the Fantasyland attractions before you use the Matterhorn FP
2) Indiana Jones, then enjoy the Jungle Cruise and Pirates before you use Indiana Jones
3) Big Thunder Mountain, may be able to fit in Big Thunder before Indiana Jones and between Jungle Cruise and Pirates
4) Haunted Mansion, switch with #3 Big Thunder if it's the Holiday version
5) Splash Mountain
6) Space Mountain, get just before lunch, return time will probably be around 2pm-3pm
7) It's a Small World (if its the holiday version) otherwise it doesn't matter between Small World, Astroblasters, Star Tours, and Roger Rabbit

Disney California Adventure
1) Toy Story Midway Mania, then enjoy the Mater's first then Luigi's.
2) Radiator Springs Racers, FP return time should be around 10am. Then head to Pixar Pier with Pal Around being first, then Emotion Whirlwind, Jellyfish, then Goofy. If you can fit it in before Toy Story, Zephyr and Symphony Swings.
3) Incredicoaster, after using Toy Story FP ride Jessies Carousel then use Incredicoaster FP
4) Guardians,, use FP for Racers ride Monsters Inc before Guardians
5) Soarin, fit in Little Mermaid between, before, or after Soarin and Grizzly.
6) Grizzly River

Use the 15 minute return window to your advantage

ME

Last edited:
My recommended FP order to stay roughly in the same area.
Disneyland
1) Matterhorn, then enjoy the Fantasyland attractions before you use the Matterhorn FP
2) Indiana Jones, then enjoy the Jungle Cruise and Pirates before you use Indiana Jones
3) Big Thunder Mountain, may be able to fit in Big Thunder before Indiana Jones and between Jungle Cruise and Pirates
4) Haunted Mansion, switch withe #3 Big Thunder if it's the Holiday version
5) Splash Mountain
6) Space Mountain, get just before lunch, return time will probably be around 2pm-3pm
7) It's a Small World (if its the holiday version) otherwise it doesn't matter between Small World, Astroblasters, Star Tours, and Roger Rabbit

Disney California Adventure
1) Toy Story Midway Mania, then enjoy the Mater's first then Luigi's.
2) Radiator Springs Racers, FP return time should be around 10am. Then head to Pixar Pier with Pal Around being first, then Emotion Whirlwind, Jellyfish, then Goofy. If you can fit it in before Toy Story, Zephyr and Symphony Swings.
3) Incredicoaster, after using Toy Story FP ride Jessies Carousel then use Incredicoaster FP
4) Guardians,, use FP for Racers ride Monsters Inc before Guardians
5) Soarin, fit in Little Mermaid between, before, or after Soarin and Grizzly.
6) Grizzly River

Use the 15 minute return window to your advantage

ME

Great recommendations. If I go in the morning at park opening I usually get the opposite parks FP as soon as I get into the park. I like your strategy though of being in the general area of each FP.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed already in this thread but one weird frustrating glitch we experienced was when half of us started in one park and the other half in the other, whenever we tried to create a fastpass party in the app it just showed that fastpasses were no longer available in either of the parks. We had this happen on two separate days before we finally figured it out on our own... even talking with several CMs no one was able to figure out what was wrong and they just ended up over riding the system and giving us a few multiple experience fastpasses to make up for missing out on being able to get any. We also had another very frustrating experience with the app that is still unresolved but doesn't effect maxpasses, just photopass and AP discounts.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed already in this thread but one weird frustrating glitch we experienced was when half of us started in one park and the other half in the other, whenever we tried to create a fastpass party in the app it just showed that fastpasses were no longer available in either of the parks. We had this happen on two separate days before we finally figured it out on our own... even talking with several CMs no one was able to figure out what was wrong and they just ended up over riding the system and giving us a few multiple experience fastpasses to make up for missing out on being able to get any. We also had another very frustrating experience with the app that is still unresolved but doesn't effect maxpasses, just photopass and AP discounts.

It's a glitch in the app. My assumption is too many people using it at once (usually happens around 10am-11am when most people are just getting to the park). Good thing you got Multiple Experience FP, those are like gold at Disneyland.

The app updated again today, so for anyone experiencing a lot of glitches, try updating first. If that doesn't solve the problems, try uninstalling and reinstalling. The app can go wonky right before an update.

It's a glitch in the app. My assumption is too many people using it at once (usually happens around 10am-11am when most people are just getting to the park). Good thing you got Multiple Experience FP, those are like gold at Disneyland.

I guess that must be a not uncommon glitch since it was what the CMs most often assumed, just telling us to keep restarting or waiting a bit, but in our case it was definitely due to us all starting the day in different parks. Because of that assumption it took hours of it not working before we got taken more seriously and were able to get someone to really look into it... of course much later in the day it would "magically" start working again since by then we had all checked in to both parks. It was happening first thing at park opening for us though, so definitely not due to crowds, thankfully, because it really sucked not being able to get any fastpasses for anything so we were really grateful at least the standby lines weren't too terrible then. Once we figured it out we just made certain to always enter the same park together first thing before separating... not ideal for our group, but better than rendering our maxpasses essentially useless!

Question...frequent WDW visitor with first DL trip in 2 weeks. I was under the impression that you could book as many as you can find, provided the times don’t overlap. I see people talking about a 90 min blocked out window and I’m not quite sure what that is. Just want to make sure we can maximize our time in the parks

Question...frequent WDW visitor with first DL trip in 2 weeks. I was under the impression that you could book as many as you can find, provided the times don’t overlap. I see people talking about a 90 min blocked out window and I’m not quite sure what that is. Just want to make sure we can maximize our time in the parks
Go back to the OP on this thread. I too am a WDW vet and that one post cleared up just about every question I had regarding MaxPass. Have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter