Matt's Fall, 2019 adventure with Club 33 and 21 Royal

whoever

DIS Veteran
So this all started back in August of 2018. A fellow Disney nut I know worked to set up a group who would attend 21 Royal... at some point. As I'm sure you are aware, the cost for this is not insignificant, so interest didn't fill up immediately, but it did soon have all 12 seats taken. Unfortunately, I missed the initial sign up as I was still recovering fiscally from my EPIC 40th Birthday celebration at the DLR, so I was on the reserve/waiting list if any of the attendees couldn't make it. The event was over a year out at that point, so chances were good I'd have a seat or two.

For those who don't know what 21 Royal is, here's an article on it:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/11/secr...0-dollars.html

Fast forward to early February, the contract for the October 3rd, 2019 seating was in hand, and it was time to pay up. Lucky for us (but not for another party), they had to back out due to changing priorities. On March 5th, I officially got the news I could purchase their seats which they had already paid for. I made a trip out to the West Valley of Phoenix with way too many hundred dollar bills in my hand, met the interested party, and got a tour of their AMAZING Disney themed house with a huge focus on the HM. I wished I could buy everything in it, but that's not what I was there for. A form signed to cover their and my butts, and I walked away officially going to 21 Royal later that year!!!

Now, we had already planned a trip to Hawaii/Aulani to celebrate my wife's 40th Birthday, so this event which was to occur 2 days before we were to leave for Hawaii was a bit stressful to figure out the logistics of it all. We arranged for my parents to get the kids to school and watch them for a day while Amy and I jetted off to Cali for our third time away from the kids in almost 17 years of marriage. The first time was when we attended Dapper Day in 2013 alone, and the second time is when we went to LA for a couple days to meet Bob Gurr and get a thorough immersion in the early years of Walt's life.

On the morning of 10/3 at 0-dark-30, we caught an Uber to the Airport and jumped on a plane to John Wayne for a flight which left before 7AM.

IMG_6812%20(Large).jpg

We arrived around 8AM local time and quickly hailed an Uber.... as quickly as one can at SNA!!! Our Uber driver was either touched, or REALLY high…. I wondered if we would make it to our destination at all, but finally, at 8:41, I sighted the DLR!!!

IMG_6815%20(Large).jpg

We pulled up to the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn and quickly checked in and checked our bags. I put in a request for an early check-in if possible as we'd need to change for the festivities and make it over the Grand for our event later that day. This was only our 2nd time staying offsite, and we really had wanted to do the Grand, but given we were only going to be changing/sleeping in the room, this was the best course of action given the double price the Grand would have been.

Once the un-pleasantries were taken care of, it was time to make our way to the Grand to pick up our park tickets. Isn't this just the happiest sight ever?

DSC_2294%20(Large).jpg

The parks were already open, so bag check and the Esplanade were pretty empty.

DSC_2304%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2310%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2307%20(Large).jpg

On our way through DTD, I couldn't help but loving on the Halloween decorations which had just been placed.

DSC_2313%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2317%20(Large).jpg

This Mickey topiary which only presents the full picture from a certain angle was so cool.

DSC_2320%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2322%20(Large).jpg

We met the family who had organized this leaving the Grand just as we were coming up to the entrance. Exchanged some greetings, and quickly made our way into the depths of the Grand to retrieve our tickets. When I came down the hallway, the sun was streaming through the windows of the Brisa Courtyard and making it seem other worldly.

DSC_2326%20(Large).jpg

We rolled up to Guest Services and got in line. There were a lot of people complaining about a lot of issues.

DSC_2331%20(Large).jpg

I gave my name, stated what I was there for, and after 15 minutes, they were finally able to get my tickets. It was going to be an AMAZING DAY!!!

DSC_2335%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2340%20(Large).jpg

Tickets finally in hand, we headed towards the parks, but not before doing a little bit more checking around DTD to see more decorations and the Minnie Topiary.

Hidden Mickey on the pumpkins.

DSC_2343%20(Large).jpg

Minnie

DSC_2344%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2347%20(Large).jpg

We really had no agenda other than enjoying ourselves with hours to just wander the parks before we were to meet up for lunch with some of the group. We ended up entering Disneyland around 9:40 and headed towards the hub.

DSC_2348%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2353%20(Large).jpg

This was our first time seeing the refreshed castle. It REALLY popped. It was behind scrim on our last trip..

DSC_2359%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2368%20(Large).jpg

The Disney Crest.... we'd be seeing more of that later in a spot most never will...

DSC_2371%20(Large).jpg

Fantasyland was pretty empty all things considered. Looked like it was going to be a light attendance day which would work out splendid for us.

DSC_2372%20(Large).jpg

Given SWGE has opened after our last trip, we headed straight over to see what the hubbub was about.

DSC_2376%20(Large).jpg

WOW was all I had to say. It was amazingly done, akin to Cars Land. I like SW, but I'm not a mega fan like some. This was truly an immersive environment albeit new and strange to me. I had yet to get my bearings.

DSC_2380%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2382%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2384%20(Large).jpg

And the Falcon!!!!

DSC_2385%20(Large).jpg

We wandered around and checked out the line for Oga's Cantina and briefly considered getting in line, but instead noticed that Smuggler's Run only had a 45min standby.... in to line we went.

I just gotta say, this queue is AMAZING.

DSC_2388%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2396%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2399%20(Large).jpg

The falcon appears to be leaking a little. Hope we do a better job on our run!!

DSC_2402%20(Large).jpg

Once we entered the bowels of the star port, it got even better.

DSC_2408%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2410%20(Large).jpg

This speeder..... sooooo cool!!!!

DSC_2430%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2432%20(Large).jpg

I didn't know who Hondo was at the time (I've since watched the animated Clone Wars series), but his AA was off the charts realistic and fluid. Disney NAILED it.

DSC_2455%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2475%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2467%20(Large).jpg

As we entered the Falcon, it went off the charts amazing.

DSC_2476%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2479%20(Large).jpg

We had hoped for pilot assignments, but we were riding second row in gunner positions.

DSC_2480%20(Large).jpg

And off we went!!

DSC_2513%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2559%20(Large).jpg

DSC_2584%20(Large).jpg

We didn't fare all that well, but that's what you get with some pretty young pilots driving I guess.

DSC_2588%20(Large).jpg

Thoughts..... It’s fun, but for me, the queue is better than the attraction itself. It's a pretty good motion simulator, not sure I like the 6-person crew having to do different jobs, but then again, somebody needs to drive I guess. It's very well done, but I couldn't see doing it more than once per day tops.

It was now time to check out the rest of the new land. I can't say enough how amazing it is.

We headed over to the Milk Stand to try out these exotic beverages. We went back and forth on blue vs green, but ended up with green.

DSC_2592%20(Large).jpg

It was supposed to taste like Mandarin Orange, Passion Fruit, Grapefruit, and Orange Blossom, however I thought it tasted vaguely of the milk left over from a bowl of Fruity Pebbles combined with an aftertaste of soap. Hard pass next time.

DSC_2594%20(Large).jpg

We continued to wander around just gazing at everything. Disney absolutely KILLED SWGE from a theming and interactive perspective. I do wish they had used the land to expand Frontierland instead and I'm sad at my loss of the north quarter of Tom Sawyer's Island and a good part of the Rivers of America.

DSC_2597%20(Large).jpg

Remains of a Viper Probe Droid.

DSC_2598%20(Large).jpg

R5-K6, a power droid, and some unknown Astromech.

DSC_2603%20(Large).jpg

I must never allow my children inside the Droid Depot.... they'll all want one. Looked fun though.

DSC_2611%20(Large).jpg

2-1B Medical Droid, An Imperial Security Droid, a few Pit Droids, and the head of an RA-7 Death Star Droid.

DSC_2614%20(Large).jpg

Land Speeder

DSC_2621%20(Large).jpg

Some unknown speeder

DSC_2624%20(Large).jpg

I've got a bad feeling about this.

DSC_2632%20(Large).jpg

Next we made our way over to Ronto Roasters to scope out the food offerings.

DSC_2638%20(Large).jpg

The Nuna looks GREAT!!!

DSC_2647%20(Large).jpg

You really feel like you are on a different planet.

DSC_2651%20(Large).jpg

The newest X-wing of the Rebellion

DSC_2653%20(Large).jpg

An old A-wing

DSC_2656%20(Large).jpg

And that was it for us to experience Batuu. Well done Disney, well DONE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter