Masks with autism

LuvsTinker

DIS Veteran
We hope to return to WDW in the spring. Not sure my now 21 yo with autism will keep a mask on the entire time. Does anyone know if there are exceptions for people with disabilities?

As others have stated, WDW is allowing no exceptions to the mask rule on property (parks, resorts, Disney Springs and WDW transportation). There are “mask break”areas in each park, as well as the pool areas at resorts, and when seated and socially-distanced to eat/drink. Each family needs to decide if this is something they can manage or not.

To be clear, they will kick you out if you do not follow the rules. They have been that strict about it. There have been a couple of parent's that have had confrontations with cast members and have posted it on You Tube about the mask situation with their autistic child. Disney will not budge and inch on this.

To be clear, they will kick you out if you do not follow the rules. They have been that strict about it. There have been a couple of parent's that have had confrontations with cast members and have posted it on You Tube about the mask situation with their autistic child. Disney will not budge and inch on this.
Just to add to this one person ( not on the spectrum) made such a big deal out of the no mask rule he received a life time ban from Disney

Does anyone here have first hand experience with the break areas? How do the CMs manage them? Are there zones in each area to keep others away from your family group? Is there a time limit? Are they all outdoors, and if not, how do they keep the inside ones safe? (I'm thinking how scientists are now showing that indoor dining/maskless time is pretty sketchy)

Does anyone here have first hand experience with the break areas? How do the CMs manage them? Are there zones in each area to keep others away from your family group? Is there a time limit? Are they all outdoors, and if not, how do they keep the inside ones safe? (I'm thinking how scientists are now showing that indoor dining/maskless time is pretty sketchy)

I believe each park has at least one inside and one outside area. For example, MK areas are tomorrowland terrace and the area in Adventurland on the walkway from pirates to splash, which are both outside. The inside one is Pete's silly sideshow where the meet and greet used to be. All have tables that are distanced. There are cast members monitoring the area but really just making sure that there are not too many in there.

I outlined the Relaxation Stations in the re-opening thread:

RELAXATION STATION LOCATIONS
These are areas where guests may remove their face coverings within the parks. Social distancing is still required within these locations. Possible limit of 30 minutes, but that doesn't seem to be officially posted. Hand sanitizer is available at the entrances.

MK has 3 locations:
  • Adventureland - between Adventureland and Frontierland, next to A Pirates Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas and near the (closed) Golden Oak Outpost dining - allowing some tables to be used for the relaxation station
  • Tomorrowland - at the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant, which is currently closed for dining; this location is open air but also has A/C vents
  • Fantasyland - at Pete's Silly Sideshow in Storybook Circus since there are no character greets; this is a completely indoors, air-conditioned with some tables/seating and other circles designating areas for groups to stand
AK has 2 locations:
  • Discovery Island - at the (closed) Pizzafari, allowing use of some tables and chairs; this location has A/C
  • Asia - near the entrance to Up! A Great Bird Adventure named Upcountry Landing, with tables and chairs, overlooking the waterway; bonus is ability to see some character cavalcades from here
DHS has 2 locations:
  • Star Wars Launch Bay (This is an inside air-conditioned location that served as a character meet and greet located in the Animation Courtyard)
  • Near Rise of the Resistance (This is an open air location that will be located near the Rise of the Resistance ride)
EPCOT has 2 locations:
  • Akershus Royal Banquet Hall (This is an inside air-conditioned location that served as a character dining location in Norway in the World Showcase)
  • Yorkshire County Fish Shop (This is an open air outside location located in the UK Pavilion in World Showcase)
  • Between Mission Space and Test Track (This is an open air outside location located in Future World East)
DISNEY SPRINGS has 1 location:
  • near part of the M&F tram loading area
These locations are marked on the park maps, which are available on the app (if you like hard-copy maps, like I do, you may want to print and bring with you because I think I read they do not have hard-copies available).

I used a couple of the relaxation stations. There is a CM monitoring number of guests, I suspect there might be a time limit--I seem to vaguely remember the CM saying something about it--maybe 30 minutes? Many are outside, some of the outside ones are covered (Tomorrowland Terrace was one). There are tables, and some of the tables are blocked off to create the required 6ft distancing.

We hope to return to WDW in the spring. Not sure my now 21 yo with autism will keep a mask on the entire time. Does anyone know if there are exceptions for people with disabilities?
There are no exceptions. We have a 10yo with ASD as well. We bought several different kinds of mask with varying styles/fabrics. We practiced by going on short walks, wearing them around the house, and extending the time slowly. We never talked bad about the masks and made a point to talk about how important they were if we wanted to still go on our trip. Of course everyone is different but might be worth a try for your son as well.

Thank you all for the info. My son is 21 now so hopefully he will tolerate longer. I told him if we go he has to keep a mask on. He said, OK, so we will see.

My 22 year old with ASD will wear one but I can't control when he decides he is done. For our March trip, I plan on breaking up our time in the parks to a few hours in the morning, then evening and add in pool time. I'll have to see how it goes.

My 22 year old with ASD will wear one but I can't control when he decides he is done. For our March trip, I plan on breaking up our time in the parks to a few hours in the morning, then evening and add in pool time. I'll have to see how it goes.

I have to wear one for work all day. I find it helps to switch out the masks after a few hours. It gets kind of sweaty and gross feeling from breathing into it. A fresh, cool mask makes it a bit easier to wear one longer.

We went in late September. My son (non verbal, autism and Downs) would remove from time to time, rarely though. His problem is the disposables don't stay on his nose, they slide down because his nose is so small. Compounded by him sometimes making this happen by opening and closing his mouth behind the mask. I am switching to another style for our next trip, that is shaped to cover nose.

My 5 yr old grandson has been home for virtual school since Thanksgiving. We made him "practice" wearing his mask at home for 2 and 3 hr intervals so he'd be used to it again. IT HELPED!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter