Masks Never Bothered Me Anyway-An August 2020 TR *Completed 2/26*

The Prize is You Get to Eat a Bunch of Ice Cream

Even in the middle of the day, the area was quiet.

We saw a PP out, so we got our first PP pictures of the day.

As we were leaving we spotted Rey out and about, even though you can barely tell in this picture.

We didn’t have too much time before our lunch ADR, so we went with Muppet Vision . They seemed to have used up their budget up physical distancing markers on other rides.

We waited about 15 minutes for Muppets, and as we were seated an enjoying the show I get an alert on my phone. “It’s now time to check in for your reservation at Beaches and Cream”

What?!

It was 12:45 and I thought our reservation was at 1:30, but turns out it was actually at 1:00. That’s what I get for not obsessing over my plans and making up detailed touring plans with colored coded excel sheets. At this point I wasn’t sure what to do, I felt stuck in the show which was only halfway over.

Once it was over we booked it out of there. We had two choices drive or bus. I wasn’t sure how often the buses were coming and I know with limited seating it could take a while to get over to Beach Club. I knew on the Skyliner it would be quick, no waiting, and then we could jump in the car are race over there so we went with option B. Going as fast as humanly possible we were still 20 minutes late to our ADR. It was so worth it though because look at this kid’s smile at getting a huge milkshake for his drink.

I challenged him to eat the whole thing. He says, do I get a prize if I do? No kid, the prize is getting to eat a bunch of ice cream.

This was our first time in the newly redone B&C, and I was not a fan of the blandness of it.

I went with the grilled cheese and fries instead of soup.

It was very good, but maybe a tad heavy on the cheese.

J went with the cheese burger and tots.

He loved it.

To finish off the meal, I went with the No Way Jose. Since J full from his milkshake and wouldn’t be helping me, I asked if they had a smaller size than normal and they did!

It was perfect.

After our delicious lunch we headed back to the room real quick.

Any excuse to wear my new ears.

We took the Skyliner back which was a huge mistake in retrospect, but more on that later.

We had to get some pictures in front of the park, since we hadn’t done that yet.

We could immediately tell the park had really cleared out, I knew the wait times would still be dropping though, so we decided to see the Mickey Shorts first.

I thought the short was going to be a new one about Mickey going on vacation, but instead it was just all the old cartoons that involved vacations, kind of a letdown. After the show, they have cute photo ops though.

Potatoland is probably my favorite of the new Mickey cartoons.

Next up we got in line for Star Tours, virtually another walk on.

Sadly no rebel spy for us.

We headed into Galaxy’s Edge next. First we went into Dok-Ondar’s. Last time we had visited Disney, I had only ever seen the movies and the first season of the Mandalorian. Now I have watched all the animated series and read some of the books. I felt like a proper fan, and had fun spotting all the cool Easter eggs in this shop.

With a 30 minute wait posted for Millennium Flacon, we hopped in line.

It ended up only being 20.

It was weird to see it so empty in here. They basically just used this space as part of the queue, everyone had their markers to stay on.

We of course got our cockpit.

I really felt now that I have ridden this several times, that I had gotten the hang of flying this darn thing. In reality, I sucked and we crashed several times.:rotfl2:

Last edited:
Random question-What sandals are you wearing in your pictures? I am looking for something that is comfortable and can handle all the walking in the parks besides sneakers.

Random question-What sandals are you wearing in your pictures? I am looking for something that is comfortable and can handle all the walking in the parks besides sneakers.
If you are asking about the sandals in the most recent update, those are Sanuk Yoga Slings. They have yoga mat soles and are super comfortable. The ones in the first picture of the trip report are Teva sirra hiking sandals. These are by far my favorite shoes to wear when walking a lot. I even hiked in to the Grand Canyon and felt great wearing them. You can't go wrong with either pair of shoes.

It’s Like Frozen without the Drop and Better

At this time we had completed all the things we wanted to do, save one. MMRR was a posted 50 minute wait, I had been hoping that it would drop lower, but we decided to just get in line. You can just barely see the Pixar characters coming down the walkway.

Very shortly after getting in line it was announced the ride was down and there was no knowing when it would be back. I felt terrible, if J didn’t get to do his number one ride, I would feel extremely guilty. I asked J what he wanted to do and he asked to ride SDD again. We still had three hours of park time, so I was hoping MMRR would come back online soon. We got out of line and headed back to Toy Story Land. Slinky Dog was a 43 minute wait, but we passed the time playing games.

Hang on

MMRR was still down, so we walked on TSMM next. Some how I am getting worse at everything.

We stopped in the dump shop after the ride. I found a really cute pair of Forky socks and got some wishables for my other two boys back home. J fell in love with this green alien claw machine toy. It was massive, and expensive. My mom and I had given J his birthday money early because his birthday was a week after our trip. He had the money to spend but I wasn’t thrilled with the idea. I tried to convince him to at least wait until the end of the night. If for some reason we forgot or couldn’t get it later, I checked the Shop Disney site and saw that they had them there. The CMs were great in this gift shop, so we chatted with them for awhile. We learned that one girl is from where we live and it was fun to connect with CMs again. It was so much harder to do this time.

MMRR was still down, and I was seriously concerned we wouldn’t be able to ride. J was happy though and requested we go on Alien Swirling Saucers again.

MMRR was finally back up, so we said goodbye to TSL for this trip.

We walked up the stairs to MMRR and realized there was a rope blocking us off. No one was looking and we slipped under, I didn’t think it was a big deal at the time. There was no one around and I didn’t think we were cheating anyone else. A lady behind me did the same thing. Well I guess a CM had told a group of people they had to walk around and there was one mad lady at us. She started yelling at the CM who just kind of shrugged at her. Now had she just came up to me and explained that she had to walk around and I didn’t and that made her angry, I would have just let them go in front of me. I really didn’t think it was a big deal, but since she decided to be rude to the CM, I let her storm off all angry. The lady behind me commented on the craziness, also noting it wasn’t a big deal. I responded that we were just grateful the park were even open and we got to come. :confused3

The wait was posted as 35 minutes.

Hidden Mickey

In the end we only waited 20 minutes. They don’t do the preshow here, which I don’t quite understand. They had us all stand on markers in front of the screen, but then just filed us into the secondary line for boarding. I feel like they could easily run the preshow here. I feel like it probably would have set up the ride in a way that would make it make sense. I have no idea what the storyline of the ride is supposed to be.

This was before they had plexiglass up so we had the whole front of the train to ourselves.

Even though I don’t know what the story is here, I did really enjoy the ride. The trackless system is cool and I think the visuals are great. Still wish we could have this and Great Movie ride, but at the end of the day it’s still a good ride. J claimed it was like Frozen without the drop and better…

Um okay??

We had an hour left of park time, so we went back to Galaxy’s Edge to take some pictures.

Literally no one around

The wait was posted at 15 minutes for MFSR, so we got in line thinking we might even have time for one more ride after. It ended up taking us 25 minutes to get through, the only time the whole trip the posted wait was more than the actual wait. We passed the time playing Head’s Up.

James wanted to be the gunner this time. I stuck with pilot.

We still did a bad job

There had been a downpour while we were on the ride.

Which gave us this beautiful rainbow.

There was only five minutes of park time, and I was hoping we could book it over to MMRR to ride one more time.

We made it in line with one minute to spare. Posted wait was 35 minutes again and we waited 20.

With that, our day at DHS was over.

We stopped in the gift shop at the front of the park. I was looking for the partner statue hat and J still had that claw machine on his mind. I agreed to buy it, only if he carried it back to the hotel.

Even though the rain was gone, the lightning hung around, so we had to take the bus back. As with the first night all three resorts were sharing the bus. We waited about 45 minutes to get on a bus. We went straight to Old Port Royale for dinner. We had ordered on the way, but still ended up waiting 30 minutes to get our food. We both went with the pizza. I also got the grapefruit beer, as a special treat.

This was probably the worst meal I have ever had at Disney. I really enjoy the normal Disney pizza, but this was not that. It was almost like the crust was fried and it was extremely dry and hard. If I wasn’t so hungry, I probably wouldn’t have eaten it. At least my beer was good. We also got cupcakes, but didn’t end up eating them. We went back to the room and got packed up to leave.
Continued Below

Last edited:

I Know We’re Weird, but We Like the Preshow

We weren’t in a crazy rush to get to the park early this morning. We packed up and then ate our cupcakes from the night before.

We said goodbye to Caribbean Beach Resort and drove over to Animal Kingdom. Since I knew we didn’t have to rush off to get on a ride right away, we stopped to get some PP pics first.

We made our way over to Dinoland. J wanted to do Dinosaur first.

There was literally no one there

We could pass right through the preshow which was just being used as a queue now. This is probably one of our favorite preshows, we asked the CM if we could stay and watch. They looked at us like we were crazy.

We got on our Timer Rover without any wait at all.

After getting that dino, we walked into Asia. J agree to go on Expedition Everest reluctantly.

I never get my names on the EE posters.

:rotfl2:

We headed to the safari next, but there was a PP out with no one else around, so we had to stop.

The line was outside the queue area, backed all the way up to Tusker House but the wait was only 15 minutes.

Every row is seated here, with plastic between the rows. It was a pretty good safari, we saw lots of animals.

J was most excited about the flamingoes

After a successful safari, we decided to head into Pandora. The 60 minute wait that FoP had when we got to the park had dropped to 35 minutes. On the way over we heard music and stopped to see our favorite feathered friends.

The line was crisscrossed around the land, but we eventually found it.

There was one section on the line that crosses the main path and I couldn’t see where the second line started. I hadn’t paid attention when the group in front of my crossed over. I got a little lost, but thankfully the group behind me knew what they were doing and helped me out.

This was the first time I had ever been in the regular queue and I was excited to check it out.

The lab was cool, but for some reason they didn’t have all of the indoor queue open, so we didn’t actually get to go past the avatar in the tank. All I could get was this blurry picture as we passed.

They have the preshow groups divided amongst the two rooms, we were in the first chamber.

They skip the whole first part and just give you the second part. FoP was amazing as always, and we did wait the 35 minutes which flew by because of the cool queue.

Last edited:
Love all your pictures. Makes me so excited for our trip in June! And bless your son's heart, he's so sweaty in the AK pics. I know that'll be us come summer 🤣.

Were the masks you wore comfortable? Not that masks are pleasant anyway, but they look like they'd be comfy for what they are. Trying to figure out what kind of masks to bring on our trip.

Love all your pictures. Makes me so excited for our trip in June! And bless your son's heart, he's so sweaty in the AK pics. I know that'll be us come summer 🤣.

Were the masks you wore comfortable? Not that masks are pleasant anyway, but they look like they'd be comfy for what they are. Trying to figure out what kind of masks to bring on our trip.

Yes, I have found that double layered cotton masks are the best for the summer. I work from home and pretty much never leave the house, so wearing masks is not something I am used to on a day-to-day basis, especially not hours on end, but cotton masks are the best in my opinion. Also, we brought extra masks and changed after meals, so that was nice to know I could just don another, less sweaty mask.

Sounds like a great night at DHS! You got to do all the TSL rides and finally got on Runaway Railway! That rainbow in Galaxy's Edge was lovely!

And a great start to your day at AK!

Sounds like a great night at DHS! You got to do all the TSL rides and finally got on Runaway Railway! That rainbow in Galaxy's Edge was lovely!

And a great start to your day at AK!
It was a super successful night at DHS, and love that it was topped off with a rainbow.

I Like the Plastic

We ordered food from our favorite Disney quick service, Satu’li Canteen. We grabbed a chair outside to wait and after quite sometime I checked the app only to realize I never hit the I’m here button:sad2:. The wait was short after that. There was plenty of seating inside thanks to the regulation from the CMs, the first time I didn’t have to hunt for a seat.

I went with my old standby, the beef bowl with noodles.

J had the kid’s quesadillas, which he claims is the best. The line for Navi river Journey, was a little too long for my liking, so we left Pandora, but not before getting some more PP pics.

I think this was supposed to be a magic shot.

There was never a line for PP like in the past. It seemed they were grateful to have people to take pictures of, so we got way more pictures at every stop then we normally would have.

We got in line for It’s Tough to be a Bug next. We only had to wait for the next show to get out. They had assigned us a dot on the floor.

They had plastic dividers between the seats here, unlike other theater shows we had done. J declared he liked the plastic because it kept him separate from others. I mean same::yes::.

We had another new to J ride to try out, Kali River Rapids. I don’t remember how long the wait was, but I don’t think it was too bad. About 15 minutes in the line just stops moving. After about 10 minutes of waiting, we hear the announcement that they’re sanitizing the ride. After another 10 minutes the line started moving again. This wasn’t great since we had put our phones in the lockers, and had nothing to pass the time. We had a very obnoxious group behind us that didn’t seem to understand social distancing. This happened very infrequently, but whenever we encountered these people, usually all it took was a “look” to get them back on their sticker. These people didn’t care at all, and you know who ended up in our raft.

I haven’t been on this ride since 2016, when just DH and I did it. I remember the drop being much bigger. We only got a couple of drops on us. On this scorching day, getting wet would have been nice. J was super disappointed by this ride. He claimed it Disney’s worst ride:rotfl2:. We decided to take a ride break and try and go find some animals.

I felt so bad for the CMs in the bat house. There were clearly marked circles on the ground, to promote physical distancing. The CM was trying to get people to adhere to the rules, but no one was listening to her. This was happening as we walked in, but the people quickly gave up looking for bats and left. We had the whole bat house to ourselves and enjoyed the quiet. We made sure to the thank the CM as we left.

We were on the hunt for some tigers.

Every time we would come to a viewing area, there were no tigers to be found, CMs urged us to keep looking.

Eventually we found this guy taking a nap.

Even if we hadn’t spotted the tiger, the Maharajah Jungle Trek is worth it just for the beautiful work the imagineers did on the area.

Before we left we hung out with some birds.

We just missed Chip and Dale, but I got a picture as they sailed away.

We needed a break from the heat, so we stopped in Starbucks for a treat to cool us down.

We took our treats to Pizzafari which was now a relaxation station.

It was a much needed A/C break. After our break, we walked over to Pandora to try and ride Navi River Journey. The wait was longer than I would care to wait for the ride, but J really wanted to do it.

We had one hour left, before we needed to leave. With FoP only a 30 minute, we hopped in line.

They still were letting people in the part of the queue with the Avatar. I wonder if they can’t physically distance people there??

J was super happy to have this briefing room all to ourselves this time.

Ready to…uh fly.

Sadly, that was our final ride for the trip, but what a way to end a trip. We said goodbye to the tree of life.

We went back to CBR. J really wanted a Skyliner toy, so we had to go back for that. With that, it was off to the airport to drop off our rental car. We had dinner at Jersey Mikes.

As was the norm every night of our trip, there was a huge storm.

Calm before the storm.

Within minutes of us starting boarding, the storm started and we got delayed for an hour. Even though compliance with masks was good here, the gate was very crowded and it was the most uncomfortable I felt the whole trip. After our delay, we were soon saying hello to Dallas.

And with that our trip was over.

I know that things have changed quite a bit since we went, but I really thought Disney did a good job. We felt safe the whole time we were there. I really felt like Disney went above and beyond, and with a few exceptions the guests did a good job too. I am so glad we bit the bullet and went, it was totally worth it.

Thank you so much for following along. I will be starting my next TR from our February 2021 trip soon.

Looks like you had a great trip!
I really hope to be able to do those one on one trips with my kids when they get older. Looks like you had some special mom and son time!
I really enjoyed reading about your trip and I can’t wait to read the next trip report!

Thanks for sharing your trip! It sounded like a great time and special one on one time with your DS. I'll be watching for your Feb. TR.

Sounds like a great last day at AK and a good trip home! I'm glad the two of you enjoyed your trip together!
Thanks for reading!

Looks like you had a great trip!
I really hope to be able to do those one on one trips with my kids when they get older. Looks like you had some special mom and son time!
I really enjoyed reading about your trip and I can’t wait to read the next trip report!
It was amazing, highly recommend special trips for individual kids.

Thanks for sharing your trip! It sounded like a great time and special one on one time with your DS. I'll be watching for your Feb. TR.
Thanks for reading!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter