Masks Never Bothered Me Anyway-An August 2020 TR *Completed 2/26*

ashw100

DIS Veteran
Here you leave today

And enter the world

Of yesterday, tomorrow

And fantasy

Life is difficult even in the best of circumstances, but I think we can all agree, 2020 has not been the best of circumstances. Seeing my business disappear overnight, being locked in my house 24/7 with three rambunctious boys, all fun and entertainment cancelled. I was ready for a break. Thankfully, a trip to Walt Disney World was just what I needed.

First some introductions

I am the wrangler of children, Disney trip planner extraordinaire, Disneyoholic, and narrator of this here trip report. I have loved Disney all my life. I was lucky enough to live in California until I was 8 and visited Disneyland a few times. My family took our one and only Disney World trip in 2001. Once I entered high school I became too cool for Disney and didn’t really pick up the obsession again until my second baby was born and I decided we had to go to WDW. Planning that trip, I of course got bitten with the bug, and I have been obsessed ever since. Even turning my hobby into a career.

J is my sweet middle child. He is the classic middle child, quiet, peacemaker, and enjoys his solitude. He loves sports and reading, and is starting to warm up to some of the thrill rides.

This trip was J’s special trip. Last year my DH and oldest went to Star Wars Celebration in Chicago. It was a combined Father’s Day and birthday gift for them. We didn’t think much of it at the time because we didn’t think my youngest or J would have wanted to go. Well J confided in me that he was sad to not be included, so I resolved to make it up to him. We agreed on a special trip to Disney, just the two of us, that would take place the following year, 2020. Our trip was originally scheduled for May, but as you know we couldn’t go. In April, I had rescheduled it to August with an amazing TA rate. By June, I had all but cancelled the trip, even going so far to cancel my AP. By the time the reopening happened, I was watching closely to see how it would go. I was pleasantly surprised by the reopening, and then they offered AP holders an extra month, even though I had cancelled I was able to get.

With all the pieces falling into place, I decided to tentatively plan to go. I made park reservations and dining reservations. I still had resolved to not make a decision until the last possible second. Other than a few missteps here and there, I felt pretty confident that we could go, be safe, and have fun. We have pretty much been home since March, and when we do go out it is mostly to outdoor places where we know we can socially distance. We are going from one hot spot to another, and here in Texas mask compliance is iffy at best. We are also voluntarily quarantined after the trip to ensure we didn’t accidentally infect someone else. Other than sending snapchats to my DH and mom, we did not share our trip with many people or put it on social media, so I am excited to share the experience here.

Trip Details

Dates: August 6-9th

Resort: Caribbean Beach Resort, 5th room sleeper

Travel: Flying Southwest, rental car

Tickets: 4 day tickets for J, AP for me

I hope you will follow along as we relive one of the strangest (but still really good) trips we’ve ever taken.

Updates
Day 1
Escaping the Real World
Where Are All the People?
We Missed You Too Living with the Land
Down Came the Rain

Day 2
Backside of Water
Off to Work We Go
This Cheese Tastes Weird
Yo Ho Yo Ho Off The Boat You Go
Ice Cream Bribery Works

Day 3
It's Bananas
The Prize is You Get to Eat a Bunch of Ice Cream
It's Like frozen without the Drop and Better

Day 4
I Know We're Weird, but We Like the Preshow
I Like the Plastic

Last edited:
So so glad to follow along with this report. We have a couple trips on the horizon this fall. Like you, we haven't told anyone who isn't going with us or looking after our pets while we're gone. It just isn't worth the judgement from the naysayers. My almost 9yo dd is doing virtual school (and LOVES it lol) and I only work with my mom & aunt who are coming with us so avoiding others when we get back is a non-issue. We're also flying Southwest - us from west TN where it's not a full blown hot spot, but numbers are higher than in some other places. But we're cautious people who trust science and I believe we can go and be safe. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!!!

Following! I enjoyed your previous trip reports, I am excited to see how this special trip will turn out!

Following along, we had to cancel our August trip this year, sigh! We have been going as a mother/daughter duo in August since 2015. This is our first August without Disney in quite sometime!
Excited to hear all about your adventures with your son
PS I am a middle child and you pegged us, lol!

Me too... sounds perfect so far!
I have already tried to remind everybody... but check the TV Channels from your resort nightly Disney is streaming (?Channel 70? Something)

Happily Ever After from 6-10 p.m.
I think it has been digitally enhanced to improve the visuals but I guarantee 4 hours of fireworks with pjs on and a Disney bed is perfection!

Last edited:
Following along for some pixie dust excitement! We are going in October and I’m starting to get concerned

Following along for some pixie dust excitement! We are going in October and I’m starting to get concerned
Have fun on your trip. You do you, and you'll be fine. We just came back from a 5 nighter at Pop, the biggest crowds we saw were on the Skyliner and at DHS.

Also use you MDE app to order your food before you head to the QS locations, then let them know you have arrived as soon as you have line of sight the location, your order should ready and notification sent to you just as you reach the door monitor/hostess.

Take disposable wipes with you, and wipe down your table when you get to it. This was the only area that I saw as being a problem. Dining room attendants were far and few in between, and didn't keep up with the tables very well at QS (especially at MK and DHS).

😀

Can't wait to hear more about your little man's special trip!
Thanks for follwoing along!

Great trip report title!
Thanks!

So so glad to follow along with this report. We have a couple trips on the horizon this fall. Like you, we haven't told anyone who isn't going with us or looking after our pets while we're gone. It just isn't worth the judgement from the naysayers. My almost 9yo dd is doing virtual school (and LOVES it lol) and I only work with my mom & aunt who are coming with us so avoiding others when we get back is a non-issue. We're also flying Southwest - us from west TN where it's not a full blown hot spot, but numbers are higher than in some other places. But we're cautious people who trust science and I believe we can go and be safe. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!!!
I think if you can go and be safe and not expose others, you should. It's a great time to go right now and I think you'll have an amazing time.

Looking forward to your trip report
Thanks for following along

Welcome!

Following! I enjoyed your previous trip reports, I am excited to see how this special trip will turn out!
Yay, glad to have you along for this one as well.

Following!
Welcome, thanks for following along

Following along, we had to cancel our August trip this year, sigh! We have been going as a mother/daughter duo in August since 2015. This is our first August without Disney in quite sometime!
Excited to hear all about your adventures with your son
PS I am a middle child and you pegged us, lol!
I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip, I have enjoyed your past TRs with your daughter. Hope you get to go soon and in the meantime live vicariously through TRs.

Aw, can't wait to hear about your trip. Sounds like it's a good one.
It was, glad to have you along for this TR.

Me too... sounds perfect so far!
I have already tried to remind everybody... but check the TV Channels from your resort nightly Disney is streaming (?Channel 70? Something)

Happily Ever After from 6-10 p.m.
I think it has been digitally enhanced to improve the visuals but I guarantee 4 hours of fireworks with pjs on and a Disney bed is perfection!
Great tip, I don't think they had that feature when we were there as we hard about it a week or so after we got back but it's great for those that are down there now or in the future.

Following! Can't wait to hear how the trip went.
Welcome Courtney!!

Yay, I hope you can go and have a great time. It really is a fantastic time to go right now.

Glad you and J could take a special trip together! I can't wait to hear about it!
Wlecome to another one Alexis!

Following!
Welcome!

Have fun on your trip. You do you, and you'll be fine. We just came back from a 5 nighter at Pop, the biggest crowds we saw were on the Skyliner and at DHS.

Also use you MDE app to order your food before you head to the QS locations, then let them know you have arrived as soon as you have line of sight the location, your order should ready and notification sent to you just as you reach the door monitor/hostess.

Take disposable wipes with you, and wipe down your table when you get to it. This was the only area that I saw as being a problem. Dining room attendants were far and few in between, and didn't keep up with the tables very well at QS (especially at MK and DHS).

😀
Those are great tips thanks, we actually already had our trip at the beginning of the month, but hope others can use those tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter