Mask up buttercup! We're going to Walt Disney World! A 15 day trip like no other! UPDATED x lots 9/10!

Hello! I don't remember if I have ever commented on one of your trip reports but I enjoy reading them, so I am following along on this one.

I'm here! Looking forward to reading about your trip, beyond what I saw on Facebook!

Hey! Glad to have a co-worker here!

Hello! I don't remember if I have ever commented on one of your trip reports but I enjoy reading them, so I am following along on this one.

Welcome! I think that you've commented a time or two. Glad to see you again!

Oh my goodness Hunter is married! I hope you came across Burts Bees original in your search. I bet it would give you the feeling you are looking for! Excited to read about your trip!

Oh my goodness Hunter is married! I hope you came across Burts Bees original in your search. I bet it would give you the feeling you are looking for! Excited to read about your trip!

Isn't it crazy! He doesn't seem old enough to be married! I've tried Burts Bees and it didn't have the burn I was looking for. LOL

This is the sweetest!! Following along..

Welcome! He is a sweet man even if he doesn't show it outwardly.

I love all the pre-trip stuff! Just reading about it makes me excited for a trip, and we don't have our next one planned yet.

We didn't stop at any restaurants either. Just did drive thru.

I can't wait to hear where dinner was on Thanksgiving. I feel like I already know, but I forgot. :rotfl2:

I'm following along too. Getting ready for our first stay @ CBR.

I do some of the same things you do to get ready. It helps pass the time until you leave.

Thank gosh it's Friday!

Everyone always looks forward to Fridays and I was no different. On this Friday, I was even more anxious for the work day to be over with. We were going to Walt Disney World today! We would be starting the drive to Walt Disney World!

Wait, let me back up a little. Actually, not a little but rather about eight or so months. Yes, I start thinking about these things that far ahead.

When the planning for this trip began, we were going to leave after work on November 16th which was a Monday. Later on, we decided to change the plans and leave on Sunday. One day it hit me. Why in the heck were we waiting until Sunday when we could leave on Saturday? The drive is a little more than 800 miles one way and we always break the drive in two parts so that it doesn't seem quite so long. Whoa! Wait a minute! Why would we wait until Saturday morning to leave? Why not leave Friday after work? I mean, I get off at lunch. John is off on Fridays. Why hadn't we thought of this before now? Now being before everything started shutting down.

I started calculating how long we could drive if we left on Friday after work. I knew that we could make it Crestview, Florida which is just short of halfway to Disney. Crestview is where we typically stop when we leave around 6:30 p.m. and we usually get to Crestview around 1:30 a.m. We would be leaving four to five hours earlier so we wanted to get further than Crestview. But, we didn't want to dog tired when we stopped like we usually are.

Remember, this was pre-pandemic shutdown. Every time I would search for a hotel close to Tallahassee, the prices would rise higher and higher. I snagged a couple of hotel reservations in Marianna, Florida and two, maybe three, on the outskirts of Tallahassee. Periodically, I would check prices and they rose to extreme heights. Days Inn with a 2 star rating was almost $300.00! Holiday Inn Express was $370 something. Even the mom and pop motels were ridiculously high. The higher end hotels were $400+ and some were almost $1,000! What in the world? After some googling, I found out that there was a college football game at the University of Florida in Tallahassee. No wonder the prices were exorbitant. Thankfully, I had the cheaper reservations to fall back on. We would just need to decide where we would be staying as the trip got closer.

You really didn't think that I could leave well enough alone did you? Of course not! Once a week, I'd search the hotels again and they rose higher. And, then, one day, boom, they were back to semi-normal. I figured that people weren't comfortable in traveling and were also thinking that the game would be cancelled. Every time I would see a normal looking rate, I'd book it. At one time, I think that I had ten different reservations with free cancellation policies.

On November 9th, I told John that we had to sit down and make the final decision on where we would be stopping for the night. I did a "worse case scenario" google search. Marianna, Florida is approximately 490 miles from our house and a lot of those miles were interstate. But, the miles that aren't interstate miles are in towns that require some stop and starting and slower driving. My google search of "How long does it take to drive 490 miles going 50 miles an hour?" said it would take us about 10 hours. We could do that. Marianna would be our stop for the night. I cancelled all the reservations but one, the Fairfield Inn in Marianna, Florida.

Alright, now we can fast forward to Friday, November 13th. Yes, you read that right. We were leaving on Friday the 13th. I didn't give a hoot. We were going to Disney! First, I had to tackle work and make sure things were in order before I left. Luckily, it wasn't too bad as I had started prepping all of our clients that I would be leaving. I got everything done and was outta there by Noon.

When I got home, John had already gotten the oil changed and almost all of the luggage was loaded in the car. The night before, I had made a big bowl of chicken salad for our picnic. Instead of stopping for fast food just down the road from our house, we made chicken salad sandwiches and ate those while putting the last of the things in the car.

IMG_7148.JPEG

I had notes all over the kitchen counter for the kids who would be taking care of the animals and checking in on Mama every day. Once we had everything in the car, we walked over to tell Mama goodbye. We assured her that someone would be coming every day to get her mail, feed the animals, etc. She gave us big hugs and we left to do a final inspection of "did you get everything" at our house. Everything done, we hopped in the car.

Even though we could still go a long way without stopping for gas, we stopped at a nearby gas station and topped off the tank.
IMG_7151.JPEG

And we were off! We were on our way to Walt Disney World! Our first stop was not long after. I had to take a potty break. My bladder plays tricks on me and knows that there's a Mississippi Welcome Center. I hopped out, ran to the bathroom and was back in the car at 2:38 p.m.

IMG_7154.JPEG

IMG_7152.JPEG
(my gosh almighty, my hand looks like a wrinkled raisin)

Potty break made, we were back on the interstate in no time. IMG_7155.JPEG

Just outside of Jackson, we saw what we refer to as the "fake Epcot" which is a sports stadium.

IMG_7156.JPEG

I hate driving in Jackson. There's always construction going on. Lanes closed. Crazy drivers. I just don't like it at all. Once out of Jackson, we headed towards Hattiesburg and hit construction again. Thousands upon thousands of construction cones and bumper to bumper traffic. I don't have picture proof so you'll just have to take my word for it. Once we made it to Hattiesburg, we got on Hwy. 98 and started towards Mobile. Mobile is usually about a 5 hour drive and despite the construction and traffic, we were right on track. That's Mobile up ahead.

IMG_7160.JPEG

IMG_7161.JPEG

**Continued in next post

Attachments

• IMG_7162.JPEG
    IMG_7162.JPEG
    33.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Welcome! I'm so glad that you are here! You barely made it home before the shutdown!

Yup, it was cutting it close that's for sure! We always stretch our trips to the max, take the last flight out of MCO around midnight, arrive to an empty airport at home. This year?!?! Yeah, not so much -- the customs hall was packed, longer lines than we've ever seen and we both thought it was odd that all the agents, every single worker we passed had gloves, masks and were doing their best to stand back from people. We were following the news while we were in Disney, knew what was going on around the world, so after we got our bags and then walked past not one, not two but THREE carousels just starting up for flights from China we picked up the pace and got out of there pronto! I did the math later and figured out that we went thru the same customs hall that the first documented case in our country used, on the same day. Certainly made things real!!

It's because of your trip reports that we chose CBR for one of the best trips we've had -- stayed in one of the newly refurbished rooms in a perfect location based on your recommendations. I think that was 5 years ago? This past trip your comments about All Star Movies cemented THAT resort for the first 3 nights of our trip before we moved to POFQ for another 18 nights. Girl, you have some serious influence power :P

OH and the sanitizers, wipes, extra cleaning products? Yeah, that's a normal day out of the house for me, I have serious food allergies and have always packed those things when we travel, it's like the rest of the world has become as obsessive with cleaning surfaces and what goes in their mouths as I've been for years! Crazy times indeed

I love all the pre-trip stuff! Just reading about it makes me excited for a trip, and we don't have our next one planned yet.

We didn't stop at any restaurants either. Just did drive thru.

I can't wait to hear where dinner was on Thanksgiving. I feel like I already know, but I forgot. :rotfl2:

I get excited about pre-trip stuff too. Even when we do our weekend road trips.

I'm following along too. Getting ready for our first stay @ CBR.

I do some of the same things you do to get ready. It helps pass the time until you leave.

Hello there! I sure hope that you like Caribbean Beach as much as our family does!

Yup, it was cutting it close that's for sure! We always stretch our trips to the max, take the last flight out of MCO around midnight, arrive to an empty airport at home. This year?!?! Yeah, not so much -- the customs hall was packed, longer lines than we've ever seen and we both thought it was odd that all the agents, every single worker we passed had gloves, masks and were doing their best to stand back from people. We were following the news while we were in Disney, knew what was going on around the world, so after we got our bags and then walked past not one, not two but THREE carousels just starting up for flights from China we picked up the pace and got out of there pronto! I did the math later and figured out that we went thru the same customs hall that the first documented case in our country used, on the same day. Certainly made things real!!

It's because of your trip reports that we chose CBR for one of the best trips we've had -- stayed in one of the newly refurbished rooms in a perfect location based on your recommendations. I think that was 5 years ago? This past trip your comments about All Star Movies cemented THAT resort for the first 3 nights of our trip before we moved to POFQ for another 18 nights. Girl, you have some serious influence power :P

OH and the sanitizers, wipes, extra cleaning products? Yeah, that's a normal day out of the house for me, I have serious food allergies and have always packed those things when we travel, it's like the rest of the world has become as obsessive with cleaning surfaces and what goes in their mouths as I've been for years! Crazy times indeed

Good gosh, y'all did cut it close!

I'm glad that you enjoyed both CBR and Movies based on my reports. We are going back to Movies next trip because we are gifting the kids a trip to Disney. Gotta go with what fits the pocketbook since we are paying for everybody.

Yeah, I've always been a hand sanitizer, wipes kinda gal and had plenty even before the pandemic. And with the CDC advising everybody to wash their hands...I mean, what did they do before? :sad2:

I love John's sweet note - he is a real romantic! Y'all are crazy travelers trying to go that far after a half day of work, and I know you drive all the way. Hope the rest of the drive went smoothly.

That was the only reservation that I was really worried about. The others weren't that big of a deal. I finally found something (I'm going to hold of on telling what I found until later in the report), clickedy clicked booked the reservation. I reworked our itinerary and was done.
Looking forward to hearing where you found for dinner!
We needed this trip for our mental health. You see, I am the primary caretaker for my mother. Don't get me wrong, she is in good health for a soon to be 87 year old. But, she doesn't drive any more and she needs both knees replaced and uses a walker. So, I do all of her grocery shopping, help her with all of her banking, and pre-pandemic, I took her out to run her errands. Due to the pandemic, she hasn't gotten out of her house maybe four times with one of those being a trip to the doctor for medication refills. Well, I take that back, she does sometimes come to Sunday dinner but that's just walking across the yard to our house so I don't count that.
Even though I am sure it is a lot of work and worry, what a blessing you must be for your mom. ❤
For the last few years, we have taken a small ice chest with us and had picnic lunches and dinner along the way. This year, that would be even more important because we wanted to keep our distance from others and really didn't want to be visiting too many fast food restaurants (if they would even be open). I gathered drinks, snacks, etc. for those picnics. The cute little fox napkins and plates came from the baby shower that we had for my niece and her husband who were expecting their first child. (it was held outside with social distancing)
We always do picnics on road trips too. We only drove to Disney once (we live in southern Ontario) but it was a fun road trip!
The weekend before our trip, I really began going through our clothes, taking inventory of what we had, etc. When I was going through my clothes to pack for the trip, I found a shirt that I had bought several months back. It was too big for me but I didn't want it to go to waste. I reached out to one of the ladies who works with Lacey and asked if she or her mom wanted it. They were going to Disney too so maybe one of them could wear it. They wanted it so I snapped a pic and sent it to work with Lacey.
I love laying everything out pre-trip and planning. It's part of the fun! :)
When the planning for this trip began, we were going to leave after work on November 16th which was a Monday. Later on, we decided to change the plans and leave on Sunday. One day it hit me. Why in the heck were we waiting until Sunday when we could leave on Saturday? The drive is a little more than 800 miles one way and we always break the drive in two parts so that it doesn't seem quite so long. Whoa! Wait a minute! Why would we wait until Saturday morning to leave? Why not leave Friday after work? I mean, I get off at lunch. John is off on Fridays. Why hadn't we thought of this before now? Now being before everything started shutting down.
Leaving earlier = more Disney time!
You really didn't think that I could leave well enough alone did you? Of course not! Once a week, I'd search the hotels again and they rose higher. And, then, one day, boom, they were back to semi-normal. I figured that people weren't comfortable in traveling and were also thinking that the game would be cancelled. Every time I would see a normal looking rate, I'd book it. At one time, I think that I had ten different reservations with free cancellation policies.
Haha! Choice is good!
I had notes all over the kitchen counter for the kids who would be taking care of the animals and checking in on Mama every day. Once we had everything in the car, we walked over to tell Mama goodbye. We assured her that someone would be coming every day to get her mail, feed the animals, etc. She gave us big hugs and we left to do a final inspection of "did you get everything" at our house. Everything done, we hopped in the car.
I always find something important on that last sweep of the house.
(my gosh almighty, my hand looks like a wrinkled raisin)
It does not.......that's just what I always teased my mom about......"chicken skin". Now I have it too, lol!
A 21 night trip!! Wow, wow, wow.....those are serious Disney goals!

I like reading about all the pre-trip stuff. It's an exciting part of the trip! I understand you needing to get away. I did the same for my Mom who passed during the pandemic. We haven't driven to Disney for a long time - my DH is retiring at the end of this month so maybe next time it will be a road trip. I love a good road trip :-) How nice you get to celebrate your anniversary in Disney. We're celebrating DH's retirement in Disney in early March. Anxious to hear more about your adventure!

I know exactly what you mean about the loneliness the older folks are feeling! My mom lives about 10 minutes from us, I’m the only child and she’s been single since she and my dad divorced in 1976! Thankfully, she had already planned on moving from her rather isolated house to an active retirement community before Covid hit. It’s a new place so was delayed in opening a bit but she was finally able to move in September. Now she sees people daily, instead of just when I can stop by. She is such a social person and has missed her church, Bridge, canasta, and other groups. I am so happy she has someone other than her dog to talk to on a regular basis now! 😆 And I am the same about planning, I have notebooks upon notebooks with all sorts of plans in them! This next trip is totally different since we just scheduled it last week and we will be arriving in WDW on February 7th! We had to cancel our 30th anniversary trip to Disneyland in September (that I had been planning for over a year).

I know it probably sounds mad but I love when you guys in the States take these long car journeys, because it's something I'd like to do myself, our roads and cars in the UK are so small.

So all the pictures inspire me, can't wait to see more and tag along with you guys.

Stay safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter