Mask On/Off Strategy and Luggage Tag Help, Please

Little E

DIS Veteran
I have two strange questions that I'd love some feedback on...

Question #1: We arrive at WDW on July 25. I understand that with the relaxed mask policy, you can drop your mask when you are outside, but you need to put masks on when inside, in line queues, and on rides. With masks on and off throughout the day, I'm wondering how to avoid losing masks and have them at the ready for when we need to put them on quickly. What do others do? I'm thinking about buying some type of lanyard/lavaliere to hang masks on around our neck so they don't get lost and we can drop them and put them back on quickly. Is that dumb? Is there a better way? Where would I find a neck gizmo to attach masks to if we go this route?

Question #2: We are riding ME from MCO, but since WDW doesn't offer the luggage component now, we realize we have to gather our luggage before boarding the ME. I would like to buy new luggage tags for all of our bags, but the one's I've looked at in local places are weirdly expensive. I don't want to spend a ton, but I want bright, matching, easily recognizable tags for our family's bags. Anyone have recommendations for where to find cheap but durable bright luggage tags?

Thanks, friends!

Look on Amazon. They sell modified eyeglass chains. Then ends have little clips to attach to your mask.

That is what my family used. I prefer masks that I made. They have a string that goes around the back of the neck, through the sides of the mask and then ties at the top of the head. So, I just pull down the string on the top of my head.

ETA: Use random luggage tags and tie on other stuff to mark your bags. It will be easier to spot anyway.

Last edited:
My family used mask lanyards for our Disney trip a couple of weeks ago and loved them. I purchased a pack of 5 on Amazon for around $6.

We used ME for our trip and they sent us luggage tags. You could also try Walmart.

Check etsy for luggage tags. I saw some that I was going to buy as a gift for someone. You might also find lanyards. We made our own lanyards with beads, but as indicated above you can get them cheap on Amazon.

In regard to the masks: I bought a ton of things for my kids to use for this school year. I put a lanyard with each reusable mask. We got some from Amazon that attach to each side like sunglass holders. We also have quite a few lanyards that were around $1 at Walmart or Dollar Tree. They are badge style, as in a loop (many with a breakaway mechanism) with a single attachment that I hook on one side. Either style does the job.

I have two strange questions that I'd love some feedback on...

Question #1: We arrive at WDW on July 25. I understand that with the relaxed mask policy, you can drop your mask when you are outside, but you need to put masks on when inside, in line queues, and on rides. With masks on and off throughout the day, I'm wondering how to avoid losing masks and have them at the ready for when we need to put them on quickly. What do others do? I'm thinking about buying some type of lanyard/lavaliere to hang masks on around our neck so they don't get lost and we can drop them and put them back on quickly. Is that dumb? Is there a better way? Where would I find a neck gizmo to attach masks to if we go this route?

Question #2: We are riding ME from MCO, but since WDW doesn't offer the luggage component now, we realize we have to gather our luggage before boarding the ME. I would like to buy new luggage tags for all of our bags, but the one's I've looked at in local places are weirdly expensive. I don't want to spend a ton, but I want bright, matching, easily recognizable tags for our family's bags. Anyone have recommendations for where to find cheap but durable bright luggage tags?

Thanks, friends!

Local here... and its starting to get really hot and humid... yesterday it was 95 + humidity...

So what I suggest is that you use the paper mask, they are not as heavy.
Just get few for each person in a ziploc baggie, and throw them in a back pack. You only need mask now if you are in theaters, and on buses, monorails, and such... The rules are changing constantly so who knows what July will bring...

To your second question. I have just regular luggage tags on our luggage, If you want new luggage tags, try places like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, & Ross, I replaced ours not to long ago... I always am on the look out for stuff like this in the clearance areas, not that the regular price is that much more... I picked up 7 on the clearance rack at TJ Maxx, and then 3 more at Ross. All in all I think I spent like 30.00 for 10 new tags, and they are all really nice, heavy duty, and have the cover over the window.

I took some brightly color fabric and ribbon, and tied it all together, it looks kinda like a pom pom, and you can see them on the luggage carousel, really easily...I have the same on all our luggage even the carry on's, just in case we were to have to check them or something...

I tag not only our checked bags, but our carry on's as well, in case we were to ever have to check them...including the pom pom..

DH use's his business card, which has is direct phone number on it, and our other phone numbers are written on the back of the card...

I second LovesTimon about the bright ribbon. We tie neon pink ribbon on the handles and you can spot it immediately. If you just want cheap luggage tags in case they are lost then the dollar store and Five Below have luggage tags.

Like others, I bought a pack of lanyards on Amazon for my mask and they work well with either paper or cloth. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FBXKWJS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
I like that they are adjustable and I can pull the back higher up on my head to relieve the pressure around my ears.

I have many different types of luggage tags. Some from years ago that I got free when booking Disney, some came with the luggage, some we bought through the years. None bright, the ones from Disney were actually clear plastic. We always either tie a piece of yarn around the handle of ours or put a Georgia Bulldogs sticker on it to make it easy to identify in airports.

2 suggestions on masks

1) for heat get a chiffon mask from Etsy! Soooo worth it!
2) get the kind of mask that goes around the back of your head not around your ears. When you can take it off, you just slip it down to your neck (and since it will be chiffon, it it won't be uncomfortable!) Minimized the off and on and less likely to be lost. Plus your ears won't get as tired.

For the luggage "tag", my DD usually finds some obnoxious sticker or tie of some type to put around/on the handle of her luggage so that it sticks out.

Get BRIGHT/NEON LIME GREEN ribbon and knot some on your luggage. It used to be "the color" of the DISboards! I still have little tiny gold safety pins with some really small lime green ribbon knotted through one side. I wear one every day and they are on my backpack. I keep hoping I'll meet other DISers while at WDW!

You don't have quite as much mask on/off any more. Right now (depending on your comfort level and vaccination level of course) you only need masks on Disney transportation. I had one in my pocket when I left the room in the morning. When I got to the park, I put it in my bag and left it there until we left.

2 suggestions on masks

1) for heat get a chiffon mask from Etsy! Soooo worth it!
2) get the kind of mask that goes around the back of your head not around your ears. When you can take it off, you just slip it down to your neck (and since it will be chiffon, it it won't be uncomfortable!) Minimized the off and on and less likely to be lost. Plus your ears won't get as tired.

Um. A chiffon mask literally does nothing. It's like a lace mask - it's already full of holes and does not stop any virus in or out.

Um. A chiffon mask literally does nothing. It's like a lace mask - it's already full of holes and does not stop any virus in or out.

Actually studies show chiffon has some attributes that actually make it better than cotton. 2 layers of chiffon out performs 2 layers of cotton. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252

As to whether any of them do diddly-squat is not a debate they want on these boards.

However, chiffon is compliant with Disney rules - no visible holes. It's actually much more dense fabric than just lace. And because it's double layered it's also not see through. Compliant! And breathable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter