Marriage Proposal, Please Help!

Bazza

Earning My Ears
I need help!!!

I plan to travel to LA in April '08 and surprise my girlfriend at Disneyland. We are both Australian and she will be in LA for work and doesn't even know I will be coming to the US!

I have heard other stories of people arranging proposals with staff once they are there but I would like to organize something before I go as it is a bloody long way to go to be told "Sorry mate, nothing we can do".

I would like to pop the question somewhere within the park that is romantic and secluded..... like the very top of the castle!!!

It would be even cooler if they would lend me a mickey costume so I could do it in character.:)

Any help and ideas would be gladly received. And if anyone knows who to contact at Disneyland for advise, that would be awesome.

Many many thanks.

Barry (Hopeless romantic)

Barry, as a former WDW CM, I would like to encourage you to set your sights lower. You definitely cannot propose in the top of the castle, not guests are allowed up there. As for being in costume, except for Halloween parties, no adults are allowed to wear costumes in the park as they might get mistaken for a Disney Character. The opportunity for mischief is too high.

Here are some other tips:
1.) Try going to a restaurant, you can tell the dining person of your plans they can help you out. That way you will have something worked out ahead of time. I was working entertainment at Liberty Tree Tavern on Valentine's Day, and a man had a florist, videographer, etc. He even had a special menu made up- all done in advance.

2.) You can also try doing it at your resort, that way you could arrange it at the front desk. Alternatively, if you want to do it somewhere in the park, try e-mailing guest relations, they can give you some help.

3.) Remember: NO characters can be a party of any proposal. During the Libert Tree proposal mentioned above, we were not allowed to come out until after it happened. If you want characters there, consider character dining so they can come around and congratulate you. The reason we cannot be there is in case the woman says no. Nobody wants a picture of Mickey with a big smile on his face when a man has just had his dreams crushed. So be aware that you cannot propose anywhere in the vicinity of a character.

4.) CMs will always try to help you out whenever possible. If you do have to wait until time, try to have a generic plan and we will do our best to make it happen. Just realize that it has to be reasonable. If a normal guest cannot access an area, chances are you cannot either. One exception might be an area that is normally accessible but has been closed off. One time we let a guest onto the stage area of the castle between the parade and fireworks after it had already been closed off so that he could propose. As this is normally accessible to guests and it was not a safety issue, we could do that. Just remember that we cannot violate safety precautions, and places that are never accessible to guests will not have the same quality of appearance as on-stage areas. Make sure that your plan does not revolve around being in a specific place that may be inaccessible.

If you go to Disneyland's website, you will find the e-mail for guest relations and they can help you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter